• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

Gator,

I'm curious to your opinions as to what books (or titles) are inflated and, conversely, underrated in the G.A. marketplace right now?

underrated I tend to keep quiet on, for obvious reasons lol

overated, there are too many too list.... but overated is a relative term...overated to ospg? overated to past demand or current trends, etc...

really to broad of a question to answer with any relevance

I'm starting to think I should be selling what I'm buying and buying what I'm selling. hm

What are your thoughts on the two Timely "All" series? Is All Winners 1 always going to be a "no respect" Timely. It is a very early Simon Cap appearance that very few collectors seem to care about. Market spoken?

As far as All Select, seems like 4 is the toughest of the run, what say you?

all winners has languished in lack of respect increasing price wise, for a long time now...not sure anything will change that.... it is a cool book and a must for serious ga timely collectors...

I found as 4 early on, and had most trouble with 3 and 5... but those 3 seems to be in the "difficult" category, and as is the case with most ga titles, specific issues seem cyclical in their availability

I wonder why All Winners has languished in lack of respect increasing price wise?

it is all relative...pre internet, it was a much bigger book...reflected as such in the price guide... in today's market environment, it just doesn't command the "relative" prices that it's timely counterparts do...

But why?

Lackluster cover. If All Winners #1 was sporting the cover to All Select #1, it would be twice the price it is now.

What are your thoughts on the two Timely "All" series? Is All Winners 1 always going to be a "no respect" Timely. It is a very early Simon Cap appearance that very few collectors seem to care about. Market spoken?

As far as All Select, seems like 4 is the toughest of the run, what say you?

all winners has languished in lack of respect increasing price wise, for a long time now...not sure anything will change that.... it is a cool book and a must for serious ga timely collectors...

I found as 4 early on, and had most trouble with 3 and 5... but those 3 seems to be in the "difficult" category, and as is the case with most ga titles, specific issues seem cyclical in their availability

I wonder why All Winners has languished in lack of respect increasing price wise?

it is all relative...pre internet, it was a much bigger book...reflected as such in the price guide... in today's market environment, it just doesn't command the "relative" prices that it's timely counterparts do...

But why?

Lackluster cover. If All Winners #1 was sporting the cover to All Select #1, it would be twice the price it is now.

Bedrock already knows the answer but for any that don't and care to know...Days past it was a timely #1...that got it some pg cred. As west said, in today's slabbed cover centric focus, it has fallen behind.

Bedrock already knows the answer

Not true. I come here to find all of the answers to life's tough questions.

How much do you discount off FMV for a tough to find book that has slightly brittle pages?
depends on how tough...on really rare books, sb pages might command a premium to the status quo...

on relatively tough, maybe 10%-20%...

How much do you discount off FMV for a tough to find book that has slightly brittle pages?
depends on how tough...on really rare books, sb pages might command a premium to the status quo...

wait, what? SB never command a premium as compared to better or normal page quality. (staus quo)

wait, what? SB never command a premium as compared to better or normal page quality. (staus quo)

status quo being "perceived" value or ospg, etc....obviously if it is that rare, in all likeliehood there is no established data points, only what we think.... or, yes, a sb page book today, might sell for more than a better pq book sold for in the past (thumbs u

status quo being "perceived" value or ospg, etc....obviously if it is that rare, in all likeliehood there is no established data points, only what we think.... or, yes, a sb page book today, might sell for more than a better pq book sold for in the past (thumbs u

I'd say the book is relatively tough but not Punch 12 tough.

I'd say the book is relatively tough but not Punch 12 tough.

Depending on visual appeal, 10-25% less for the book you are referring (thumbs u

past doesn't come into the equation. the questioner, the way I read it, was asking how a slightly brittle rare comic should be discounted for the major page defect versus a similar copy of a rare comic with non brittle pages. sometimes the gator logic confuses me

past doesn't come into the equation. the questioner, the way I read it, was asking how a slightly brittle rare comic should be discounted for the major page defect versus a similar copy of a rare comic with non brittle pages. sometimes the gator logic confuses me

On avg. discount 10-20%

And if one is lucky enough to have an option choose the better pq option and pay the premium. But in many cases there are no options, so sb could actually sell for more than what one thinks a Better pq copy should go for. See, crystal clear lol

On avg. discount 10-20%

And if one is lucky enough to have an option choose the better pq option and pay the premium. But in many cases there are no options, so sb could actually sell for more than what one thinks a Better pq copy should go for. See, crystal clear lol

I don't think this is really even a fair question for gator. If the book is remotely rare/sought after if you want the book and it has slightly brittle pages, you will have to pay the seller's price regardless of what it is. I can't imagine you saying "how much for your tec 31?". Seller: "20,000". You: "But it has slightly brittle pages will you take 16?" Seller: "No".

-J.

Hey Rick,

I asked this same question about a year ago, so lets see where things stand in 2014.

What do you consider to be the top-ten most valuable GA books, in CGC Universal 2.0, all in similar condition with similar eye appeal?

Can you give us your list, and current FMV for each?

What was my list last year lol

2.0 hm

A list might look something like this

Action 1....200-225+

Tec 27...150-175+

Superman 1...60-70+

Action 7....50-60k

Tec 31...30-35k

Batman 1...30k

Pep 22...30k

Captain America 1 ...25k-30k

Marvel 1...25k

All American 16...20k

Dear Gator,

I remember hearing about a dealer once taking out a brittle paged book to show a potential customer at a con and to their horror, upon opening the book, the pages started to split.

What's the worst thing you've seen happen to a prized book in your personal experience?

What was my list last year lol

2.0 hm

A list might look something like this

Action 1....200-225+

Tec 27...150-175+

Superman 1...60-70+

Action 7....50-60k

Tec 31...30-35k

Batman 1...30k

Pep 22...30k

Captain America 1 ...25k-30k

Marvel 1...25k

All American 16...20k

Here's your list from last year on 4/22/13

So someone actually asked me to give Approx "value" to each of my top ten in 2.0 so here goes. Keep in mind I am giving a range b.c as we know not all 2.0s are created equal!

1) action 1....175-200k

2) detective 27...150-175k

3) superman 1...50-70k

4) batman 1...20-25k

5) captain America 1...20-25k

6) pep 22...20-25k

7) action 7...20-25k

8) detective 31...20-22k

9) marvel 1...20-22k

10) all American 16...15-17k

G.A.tor's 2013 and 2014 Rankings

Action #1..............175-200K -- 200-225K.........+25K