• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

I would put trimming in green personally

Agreed Rick.

It's a bit ironic considering that clipped coupon book are eligible for the green label. In cases of amateur trimming that does not improve the grade or appearance of the book, or in cases where it actually hurts the eye appeal -- a green label would seem appropriate. (thumbs u

Trimming should be in another colored label to itself.

Is that because we want people to respond and avoid them as much as they avoid restored books? That might work against the argument that label colors are not there for the purpose of influencing the response of buyers.

And even if that was the accepted goal, it would seem impractical to put colors on labels for any defect, whether or not they are widely shunned. Because once you go down that road, where do you stop?

Who is to say which defect(s) need to be shunned so much that words on the label are not enough; we also need a warning color? And how would there be anything but endless debate over what should or shouldn't trigger a "warning" in addition to the description. Brittle pages? Pressing? Cat urine stains? Signatures with awful placement or drawings of cockroaches? Where will it end? (actually I know the answer to that one; it ... will... never... end)

I would put trimming in green personally

Agreed Rick.

It's a bit ironic considering that clipped coupon book are eligible for the green label. In cases of amateur trimming that does not improve the grade or appearance of the book, or in cases where it actually hurts the eye appeal -- a green label would seem appropriate. (thumbs u

I am not especially a fan of the green label but I do believe it is applied fairly and consistently. And I'd agree that in the case of trimmed books it would be consistent and logical.

The reason I am not a fan of the green label is that it basically requires treating the book as if the missing part(s) were not missing (and presumes the missing parts would be at least as nice as the parts that remain). It's saying "If the coupon hadn't been clipped" it would be this grade. Or, "If the centerfold hadn't fallen out. If the edges hadn't been trimmed...." etc. Don't get me wrong. I am not calling saying it's strange or of questionable intent. I think the intent is reasonable and it's even logical, in a way.

But as logical as it is, when that standard is applied to a grading system based on structure, as it is, it can and does make for wildly different books with the same label.

I've seen green label books with missing coupons that didn't affect the story yet beautiful in every other way. And I've seen green label books with decent grades that had coupons clipped from the front cover in a way that the eye appeal of the book was destroyed for me (a coupon out of the back, or margins missing from the edge, is one thing. But Superman's face clipped from the cover just doesn't seem the same)

One very good thing about the green label is that CGC gives you the option of taking a green label with a higher grade or taking the blue label with the lower grade.

If trimming were given a purple label when it improved the appearance of the book and the option of a lower grade blue or higher grade green, as with other defects it would be consistent with the standards for both green and purple labels.

Edited by bluechip

Ok G.A.tor. Got my HA August early preview in the mail the other day and been checking out the featured pieces listed on the website so my question to you is:

1) What will be/is the coolest piece that is going to be put up for auction in August's run and

2) What will be the item that sells at the highest price? (and approximate what that price will be)

Dear G.A.tor,

When will I ever be as cool as you and get my own "Ask ColumbiaComics" thread?

the heat index is 115 here...ain't nobody cool!

Ok G.A.tor. Got my HA August early preview in the mail the other day and been checking out the featured pieces listed on the website so my question to you is:

1) What will be/is the coolest piece that is going to be put up for auction in August's run and

2) What will be the item that sells at the highest price? (and approximate what that price will be)

haven't even looked at august HA yet lol

Hey G.A.tor,

So for Superman 1-10, what are your top three favorite covers?

For Action Comics 1-24, what are your top 5 favorite covers?

I love 1 ,3 and 5

Action 1,7,13,15,23 (10 is a close 6th)

Hey G.A.tor,

So for Superman 1-10, what are your top three favorite covers?

For Action Comics 1-24, what are your top 5 favorite covers?

I love 1 ,3 and 5

Action 1,7,13,15,24 (10 is a close 6th)

Nice selections G.A.tor. I can't argue with any of those.