• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

I find nearly as many GA collectors younger, many much younger, than I am collecting GA as I do folks my age or older
why thank you bill :)

(thumbs u

I'm going to "ask bill" in "ask gator's" thread lol...

Bill, other than the Action 1-10 run from the ole lady around the corner, did any other major books walk in through your doors at More Fun?

I love that story.

Gator do you think Generation X collectors will continue to drive the GA market once the baby boomers have passed on? Or do you think the GA market will languish in the future?

The appeal is generation transcending. As long as comic heroes are in the mainstream, all ages will flourish

Not to understate Gator's wisdom, but this seems so self-evident that it surprises me that people keep asking whether comics will be "worth" anything in decades to come, when Marvel's MCU is the top-grossing franchise of all time (and close behind are OTHER Marvel-based franchises such as Spider-man and X-Men). And after that are the OTHER superheros like a certain Bat guy. Put them all together and you have a phenom that surpasses westerns and horror films together in the 1930s and the value of related items to those phenoms continued for decades after the franchises themselves were forgotten by all but the geriatric.

Anybody who thinks that SUPERHERO comics will fall out of favor as valuable collectibles may be having trouble seeing the difference between superhero comics and all others. It could be argued that the value of the "other" comics may be propped up for the time being by the rise in superhero comics and the notion among some that a rising tide for superhero comics should be just as beneficial to non-hero comics.

Edited by bluechip

Since Action #7 has seen such growth, do you think it will eventually surpass Superman #1 in value?

Action #7's do appear tougher to come by.

I don't think so. Especially the higher up you go grade wise. It's still superman 1 vs 2nd superman cover. But it is definitely nipping on its heels

it's certainly a closer race than Tec 29/Bat 1.

In lower grades a better value comparison would be tec31/bat 1

Even taking rarity into account, I doubt Tec #31 will be as close to Batman #1 value-wise a decade down the road. Incredible, iconic cover without question but much like you said in respects to Superman #1/Action #7 -- the "No. 1" offers so much more.

I could be wrong as anything could happen, but I don't see Action #7 and Tec #31 remaining on the same playing field in the long run. Reprints are more readily available, in digital format now and there is absolutely no comparison between the two groups story-wise.

Hollywood has brought to life the importance and value of storytelling within the genre. I expect historical significance, major first appearences and first issues of iconic titles to trump second cover appearences, eventually, by a considerable margin.

What about non-mainstream titles though? Superman, Batman -- absolutely. But some random obscure title that is rare, but not overly known? Or is the focus on keys?

I would say the outlook is cloudy

Rick will Spectre More Funs make a come back in the near future? Seems like the character is perfect for a vampire style movie/series that teenagers can get hooked on [someone explain to me how drek like the Twilight series can be so popular. (shrug) ].

I love more fun. But unless dc makes the spectre relevant someway, the title will continue be stagnant.

Since Action #7 has seen such growth, do you think it will eventually surpass Superman #1 in value?

I don't think so. Especially the higher up you go grade wise. It's still superman 1 vs 2nd superman cover. But it is definitely nipping on its heels

Even taking rarity into account, I doubt Tec #31 will be as close to Batman #1 value-wise a decade down the road. Incredible, iconic cover without question but much like you said in respects to Superman #1/Action #7 -- the "No. 1" offers so much more.

I could be wrong as anything could happen, but I don't see Action #7 and Tec #31 remaining on the same playing field in the long run. Reprints are more readily available, in digital format now and there is absolutely no comparison between the two groups story-wise.

Hollywood has brought to life the importance and value of storytelling within the genre. I expect historical significance, major first appearences and first issues of iconic titles to trump second cover appearences, eventually, by a considerable margin.

Over the past few years, many copies of Tec 31 , grade for grade, have outsold $ vs batman 1. Only in the last year or so has batman 1 likely retaken the lead across all grades

Over the past few years, many copies of Tec 31 , grade for grade, have outsold $ vs batman 1. Only in the last year or so has batman 1 likely retaken the lead across all grades

Your list for 2.0's gave Tec #31 the slight edge (30-35K) vs. Batman #1 (30K).

Obviously prices have been strong for Batman #1 of late. Both books are incredible, I'm just saying that as time goes on, I suspect Superman #1 and Batman #1 to pull away from their second cover app./classic cover app. counterparts.

I find nearly as many GA collectors younger, many much younger, than I am collecting GA as I do folks my age or older

(thumbs u

Bill, other than the Action 1-10 run from the ole lady around the corner, did any other major books walk in through your doors at More Fun?

We had lots of great collections come into the store, but not that included major GA keys. Every SA key came in numerous times. Sometimes multiples at a time.

GA collections would come in from time to time, but mostly non key issues. A Superboy #1 would be about the next level that walked in with an original owner.

We bought lots of keys from collectors, so that any time you came in the store you were likely to have your pick of numerous GA key books. Cap 1, Supey 1, Batman 1, Tec 27, MF 52, etc

Obviously prices have been strong for Batman #1 of late. Both books are incredible, I'm just saying that as time goes on, I suspect Superman #1 and Batman #1 to pull away from their second cover app./classic cover app. counterparts.

I guess the diff is that superman 1 has always been ahead of action 7 and as you surmise should continue that Trent. Batman 1 has been behind Tec 31 for some time and in higher grades might still be challenged. Makes one wonder why it has taken bat so long.

I think if a 7.5 bat 1 came up against a 7.5 Tec 31, Tec still wins, and might continue to "win"'for foreseeable future. Lower grades bat 1 has performed stronger of late, but far less Tec 31s are changing hands. I still think Tec 31 is more desirable by many but that is starting to change a bit of late (thumbs u

I guess the diff is that superman 1 has always been ahead of action 7 and as you surmise should continue that Trent. Batman 1 has been behind Tec 31 for some time and in higher grades might still be challenged. Makes one wonder why it has taken bat so long.

I think if a 7.5 bat 1 came up against a 7.5 Tec 31, Tec still wins, and might continue to "win"'for foreseeable future. Lower grades bat 1 has performed stronger of late, but far less Tec 31s are changing hands. I still think Tec 31 is more desirable by many but that is starting to change a bit of late (thumbs u

No accounting for taste. And the masses will be asses, as they say

No accounting for taste. And the masses will be asses, as they say

indeed

Rick will Spectre More Funs make a come back in the near future? Seems like the character is perfect for a vampire style movie/series that teenagers can get hooked on [someone explain to me how drek like the Twilight series can be so popular. (shrug) ].

Soccer moms.

;)

Well, those that have considerable original finances tied up in the hobby had better hope so. Those of us that have been in the hobby for many years, and are "playing with house money", so to speak, have much less to lose, should the hobby take a nose-dive in the coming decades.

These GA characters are more popular then ever. Superman, Batman and Captain America don`t age like John Wayne, Mickey Mantle,Hopalong Cassidy and other stars of yesteryear. As long a they keep reinventing themselves they should be around for a long time.

(thumbs u

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

While More Fun #52 is still in the top 10 of Overstreet's GA list, I just don't see it any more. I would think that its collectability -- while still extremely high -- is well below Action #2-10, Detective #28-40, and many, many other non #1s.

Spectre (and Dr. Fate) are extremely cool characters and I'd love to have a run of those books, but it's just not (to me) a top 10 comic.

MF #52 came out at the same time as Whiz #2. Which one would you rather have? Which one is going to be worth more in 10-15 years?

Edited by RCheli

More Fun Spectres aren't my area of expertise, but I do know a little about vampire movies/series, so let me sink my teeth into that part of your query. :insane:

No matter what folks think of the success of Twilight it shouldn't be singled out as the only thing the genre has to offer. Vampire literature/films come in a variety of flavors and taken as a whole there's no more drek in this genre than there is in other types of dramatic storytelling (westerns, detective mysteries, paranormal, SF, fantasy, etc.).

As a genre, vampires are now a cultural phenomena, with ever evolving allegorical themes. No longer are these tales strictly about horror, draining blood or good verses evil. Now there are more complex relationship issues woven into stories such as alienation and prejudice, eternal life, sacrifice and survival against the odds. In fact, the foundation for most contemporary romantic vampire fiction has more in common with Highlander than Dracula.

Of course, there's still plenty of room for old school vampires too... ;)

8687c9a6-3e8b-482e-a9e1-899ad6fb091a_zps03937cd5.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist. :sorry:

Soccer moms.

;)

Futbol Milfs? smiley-goal.gif

(thumbs u

We had lots of great collections come into the store, but not that included major GA keys. Every SA key came in numerous times. Sometimes multiples at a time.

GA collections would come in from time to time, but mostly non key issues. A Superboy #1 would be about the next level that walked in with an original owner.

We bought lots of keys from collectors, so that any time you came in the store you were likely to have your pick of numerous GA key books. Cap 1, Supey 1, Batman 1, Tec 27, MF 52, etc

when was that?

pre 1970 ... ?

While More Fun #52 is still in the top 10 of Overstreet's GA list, I just don't see it any more. I would think that its collectability -- while still extremely high -- is well below Action #2-10, Detective #28-40, and many, many other non #1s.

Spectre (and Dr. Fate) are extremely cool characters and I'd love to have a run of those books, but it's just not (to me) a top 10 comic.

MF #52 came out at the same time as Whiz #2. Which one would you rather have? Which one is going to be worth more in 10-15 years?

Agreed. Mf52 didn't make my top 10 and might not make my top 20 or beyond anymore :o

Yet, personally I love the book

(thumbs u

when was that?

pre 1970 ... ?

Early to mid 90s. Bill was still pre playboy interest in the pre 70s lol

Agreed. Mf52 didn't make my top 10 and might not make my top 20 or beyond anymore :o

If my recollection is correct, the crazy price years of the More Fun run was largely driven by a small group of deep pocketed collectors trying to put the run tougher at the same time. As they completed their runs or moved on to other series, prices dropped dramatically.