• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

Dear Gator,

I remember hearing about a dealer once taking out a brittle paged book to show a potential customer at a con and to their horror, upon opening the book, the pages started to split.

What's the worst thing you've seen happen to a prized book in your personal experience?

I remember seeing a can of soda dropped on a pile of books at a con. I believe most were sa keys

your all star 3 incident still makes me cringe

The worst thing I ever saw was at a Philly con in the 80s. Jay Maybruck was particularly sniffly that day (which seemed odd to me as a teenager who was watching Miami Vice) and in an angry mood. He bumped into his wall of books and most of them came tumbling down. I remember not feeling very sorry for him but expecting a huge explosion of anger. He was pretty mad.

When Greg Buls first put the Circle 8 collection out for sale at a San Diego show in the early '90s I pulled an entire long box of DCs, Quality and Archie comics. Beautiful runs of mid to late '50s of titles like Plastic Man, Black Hawk, House of Mystery and Archie. He had just purchased the collection and most of the books had not been bagged yet, much less priced. He priced the books that night and the next morning they were ready for me. The total was north of $10K, which was fair for over two hundred beautiful pedigree condition comics. But as he was getting ready for the day he accidentally dumped a whole Big Gulp size drink off of the edge of his table into the box! Almost all of the comics were soaked. We were able to salvage about fifteen books. It was a huge bummer all around.

Well at least it was the DC's that were ruined. :D This story makes me cry. :(

When Greg walked over and told me the news he was stunned and ashen. I think he cried later.

Don't blame him. :(

I think I'm going to cry...

Dear Gator,

I remember hearing about a dealer once taking out a brittle paged book to show a potential customer at a con and to their horror, upon opening the book, the pages started to split.

What's the worst thing you've seen happen to a prized book in your personal experience?

I remember seeing a can of soda dropped on a pile of books at a con. I believe most were sa keys

your all star 3 incident still makes me cringe

The worst thing I ever saw was at a Philly con in the 80s. Jay Maybruck was particularly sniffly that day (which seemed odd to me as a teenager who was watching Miami Vice) and in an angry mood. He bumped into his wall of books and most of them came tumbling down. I remember not feeling very sorry for him but expecting a huge explosion of anger. He was pretty mad.

When Greg Buls first put the Circle 8 collection out for sale at a San Diego show in the early '90s I pulled an entire long box of DCs, Quality and Archie comics. Beautiful runs of mid to late '50s of titles like Plastic Man, Black Hawk, House of Mystery and Archie. He had just purchased the collection and most of the books had not been bagged yet, much less priced. He priced the books that night and the next morning they were ready for me. The total was north of $10K, which was fair for over two hundred beautiful pedigree condition comics. But as he was getting ready for the day he accidentally dumped a whole Big Gulp size drink off of the edge of his table into the box! Almost all of the comics were soaked. We were able to salvage about fifteen books. It was a huge bummer all around.

Well at least it was the DC's that were ruined. :D This story makes me cry. :(

+1 (except i love DCs)

Since Action #7 has seen such growth, do you think it will eventually surpass Superman #1 in value?

Action #7's do appear tougher to come by.

I don't think so. Especially the higher up you go grade wise. It's still superman 1 vs 2nd superman cover. But it is definitely nipping on its heels

Since Action #7 has seen such growth, do you think it will eventually surpass Superman #1 in value?

I don't think so. Especially the higher up you go grade wise. It's still superman 1 vs 2nd superman cover. But it is definitely nipping on its heels

it's certainly a closer race than Tec 29/Bat 1.

In lower grades a better value comparison would be tec31/bat 1

In lower grades a better value comparison would be tec31/bat 1

yes that is becoming a close race.

I find nearly as many GA collectors younger, many much younger, than I am collecting GA as I do folks my age or older
why thank you bill :)

(thumbs u

I'm going to "ask bill" in "ask gator's" thread lol...

Bill, other than the Action 1-10 run from the ole lady around the corner, did any other major books walk in through your doors at More Fun?

Gator do you think Generation X collectors will continue to drive the GA market once the baby boomers have passed on? Or do you think the GA market will languish in the future?

The appeal is generation transcending. As long as comic heroes are in the mainstream, all ages will flourish

What about non-mainstream titles though? Superman, Batman -- absolutely. But some random obscure title that is rare, but not overly known? Or is the focus on keys?

What about non-mainstream titles though? Superman, Batman -- absolutely. But some random obscure title that is rare, but not overly known? Or is the focus on keys?

This was going to be my next question.

Gator do you think Generation X collectors will continue to drive the GA market once the baby boomers have passed on? Or do you think the GA market will languish in the future?

The appeal is generation transcending. As long as comic heroes are in the mainstream, all ages will flourish

+1 > Boomers weren't the original buyers to begin with, so the appeal is obviously transcendent. hm

From my perspective, generation X, Y, & Z will all find these much loved artifacts fascinating, even if everything else goes digital. (thumbs u

Well, those that have considerable original finances tied up in the hobby had better hope so. Those of us that have been in the hobby for many years, and are "playing with house money", so to speak, have much less to lose, should the hobby take a nose-dive in the coming decades.