• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

Hello G.A.tor,

I hope you are selling bunch of stuff at Heroes. (thumbs u

Anyways, I know your opinion in regards to restored books, but I wanted to know your opinion in regards to trimming - particularly GA and SA keys? Thanks.

Not a fan a trimming at all. Restoring/adding back to a book I'm ok with. Removing from books on purpose I don't like.

Hello G.A.tor,

Anyways, I know your opinion in regards to restored books, but I wanted to know your opinion in regards to trimming - particularly GA and SA keys? Thanks.

Not a fan a trimming at all. Restoring/adding back to a book I'm ok with. Removing from books on purpose I don't like.

Thanks G.A.tor

Hello G.A.tor,

+1 (thumbs u

Hello G.A.tor,

+1 (thumbs u

+2

Hello G.A.tor,

+1 (thumbs u

+2

+3 Maybe the most heinous "restoration" technique there is. More like disfigurement technique.

Hello G.A.tor,

+1 (thumbs u

+2

+3 Maybe the most heinous "restoration" technique there is. More like disfigurement technique.

+4 It's not restoration because it doesn't bring a book back to any original state and shouldn't improve the grade since it removes a portion of the book. In some cases it apparently improved the appearance of silver age books that had overhangs (and since not all silver age books had overhangs, it can be logically consistent to say the apparent grade improved in those limited situations). But when kids cut comics to fi them in their notebooks or cut around the edges of those pin-up covers of Superman 1 and Batman 1, so they could put them in a frame, they were not "restoring" anything. Nothing can be both damage that affects the grade and at the same time also be restoration. At least, not logically.

Edited by bluechip

Hello G.A.tor,

+1 (thumbs u

+2

+4 It's not restoration because it doesn't bring a book back to any original state and shouldn't improve the grade since it removes a portion of the book. In some cases it apparently improved the appearance of silver age books that had overhangs (and since not all silver age books had overhangs, it can be logically consistent to say the apparent grade improved in those limited situations). But when kids cut comics to fi them in their notebooks or cut around the edges of those pin-up covers of Superman 1 and Batman 1, so they could put them in a frame, they were not "restoring" anything. Nothing can be both damage that affects the grade and at the same time also be restoration. At least, not logically.

+5 It is sickening to see, and it is a dishonest practice especially when sold as "unrestored"

Fa Chri's sake: a three side trimmed book just sold for 140K at CC ... (shrug)

Exceptions to every rule. Unless you know the buyer of the cc copy (I would hazard a guess that this person is exception to the rule and that that result won't be duplicated any time soon) the fact still remains that the majority of collectors dislike trimming...a lot.

Exceptions to every rule. Unless you know the buyer of the cc copy (I would hazard a guess that this person is exception to the rule and that that result won't be duplicated any time soon) the fact still remains that the majority of collectors dislike trimming...a lot.

Thanks G.A.tor and to all those who replied to my question about trimming. (thumbs u

Obviously amateur "scissor jobs" and chopped books are frowned upon but actually quite a few books a more like *micro trim*.

Obviously amateur "scissor jobs" and chopped books are frowned upon but actually quite a few books a more like *micro trim*.

micro trim is just as frowned upon by the majority, I suspect, if a poll or such was taken

Hey gator we sure could use you over there in that "comic books as investment" thread in comics general. Care to slum it a little for a post or two with your input ?

-J.

I rarely venture in to CG for sanity reasons....

what is the issue?

Hey gator we sure could use you over there in that "comic books as investment" thread in comics general. Care to slum it a little for a post or two with your input ?

-J.

what is the issue?

Comic books are not (or are simply bad) investments. But yes I get your drift.

-J.

-J.

what is the issue?

Comic books are not (or are simply bad) investments. But yes I get your drift.

-J.

Rather bang my head on a wall lol

Hello G.A.tor,

+1 (thumbs u

+2

+5 It is sickening to see, and it is a dishonest practice especially when sold as "unrestored"

I could see your point calling it dishonest if for example, we're talking about a silver age with overhang that somebody trimmed to make a NM grade. I understand that happened big time with some HG books meaning they were just the kind of books that attract obsessive collectors the very people inclined to care the most about the trimming.

But there is nothing dishonest if a book is trimmed and the seller reveals it was trimmed.

That's especially so if the book was trimmed in a way that indisputably did not improve the grade (or even lowered the grade).

A book that was not color touched or tear sealed or anything else but was clearly cut -- and clearly damaged -- to fit in some kid's school notebook has not been restored.

You may dislike books that are restored and you may also dislike books that are trimmed --- whether or not the trimming improves the appearance. You may even consider trimming and restoration equally bad.

But the word "restored" means "restored"

It does not mean "restored OR something else considered equally bad"

Edited by bluechip

A book that was not color touched or tear sealed or anything else but was clearly cut -- and clearly damaged -- to fit in some kid's school notebook has not been restored.

You may dislike books that are restored and you may also dislike books that are trimmed whether or not the trimming improves the appearance. You may even consider them equally bad.

But the word "restored" means "restored"

It does not mean "restored OR something else considered equally bad"

I agree.

Merriam-Webster defines "restoration" as:

: the act or process of returning something to its original condition by repairing it, cleaning it, etc.

: the act of bringing back something that existed before

: the act of returning something that was stolen or taken

A book that has been poorly trimmed, thus not "improving" the condition of the book or "bringing it back to something that existed before" does not meet that criteria.

-J.

what is the issue?

lol