• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

My first big golden age purchase was In 1990. And it was an action 1 in gd/vg for 18k. Year long time payments :headbang:

what's your most recent 'big GA purchase'?

Most recent is a sensation 1

Hi Rick,

I have some money invested that has been making about 5-6% interest a year over the past 5 years. Is there a GA book you recommend that you think would better that over the next 5 years?

I would only take money out of a 5-6% return investment if you are prepared and able to lose it all by investing in a comic. Are there comics that return more than that? Of course. I buy and sell them all the time. But do I recommend a particular book...nope. I would only buy if you want the book and the return is secondary. The risk to most will outweigh the return on a single book (now a portfolio of books might better hedge a return)

When is your next GA/SA FS thread ?
probably Oct, after NYCC...I'm doing so many cons this year, I "need" the inventory...

but will run a big sales thread pre holiday, post NYCC

Okay... I was going to post this in the CG thread on the Action 1 9.0 Thread... but this seemed like the best place to ask a question geared directly to obtain your perspective.

You made mention that through a few of your sources, you learned that CGC graded the second Action 1 in a 9.0 sometime last year but held off adding it to the census until the new OSPG could be published. Given that GPA shows that since June of 2013, three copies, 5.0 (9/13), 3.0 (8/13) and a 1.5 (6/13) have exchanged hands, what might have been the impact, if any, on those sales if the second Action in a 9.0 had been known?

Okay... I was going to post this in the CG thread on the Action 1 9.0 Thread... but this seemed like the best place to ask a question geared directly to obtain your perspective.

You made mention that through a few of your sources, you learned that CGC graded the second Action 1 in a 9.0 sometime last year but held off adding it to the census until the new OSPG could be published. Given that GPA shows that since June of 2013, three copies, 5.0 (9/13), 3.0 (8/13) and a 1.5 (6/13) have exchanged hands, what might have been the impact, if any, on those sales if the second Action in a 9.0 had been known?

A few folks mentioned that for a brief period of time a second action 1 in 9.0 was on the census (last year). It was removed, I'm sure at the request of the owner. Don't think it affects lower grade values one iota

None. But if the other 9.0 had been offered for sale during that time, my answer would be different.

None. But if the other 9.0 had been offered for sale during that time, my answer would be different.

And the "Ask nearmint" thread is born... ;)

And the "Ask nearmint" thread is born... ;)

:whee:

A few folks mentioned that for a brief period of time a second action 1 in 9.0 was on the census (last year). It was removed, I'm sure at the request of the owner. Don't think it affects lower grade values one iota

Maybe the owner was unhappy with the grade and wanted it to be pressed and regraded. The label was included. While the book is being graded, the certification number was removed from CGC census so the second 9.0 grade was omitted.

I would suspect the current owner is hoping for the highest single graded on the census.

Maybe the owner was unhappy with the grade and wanted it to be pressed and regraded. The label was included. While the book is being graded, the certification number was removed from CGC census so the second 9.0 grade was omitted.

I would suspect the current owner is hoping for the highest single graded on the census.

Nope to the regrading ... Yes to hoping for highest graded. Presents better than the cage 9.0. Probably second only to the church copy at this point (although it's rumored there is another raw 9.0+ out there that is known and who knows the unknown. )

Speaking of rumors, didn't MMehdy once post that he knew of a collector with a high grade Action 1 that was waiting on the submission of the Church copy and hoping a "page quality bump" might get his a higher grade?

Speaking of rumors, didn't MMehdy once post that he knew of a collector with a high grade Action 1 that was waiting on the submission of the Church copy and hoping a "page quality bump" might get his a higher grade?

Mitch knows of many action 1 raw owners out there (as do many). I still would hedge the church copy is best existing until otherwise disputed

G.A.tor on my way to pick up my over street. What book am I most likely to scream "that's wildly_fanciful_statement" because of the wildest swing (either up or down)?

why wait for the Church copy to submit first?

G.A.tor on my way to pick up my over street. What book am I most likely to scream "that's wildly_fanciful_statement" because of the wildest swing (either up or down)?

I was too busy yesterday preparing for sd so I didn't even look at the guide beyond the action 1

why wait for the Church copy to submit first?

Just guessing here, but if the Church copy were to be graded as a 9.2 with CR/OW or OW pages, perhaps the owner of the other copy would hope that with superior page quality, their copy, even if less impressive overall, may get an equal or higher grade.