• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

Gator

some boardie just told me the golden age ended in 1945

and that OAAW #1 is a silver age comic

I go by the ebay listings so I certainly wouldn't look for 1952 comics in the silver age section heck I would never find them there

what are your golden age, year criteria?

Please identify him so we can ridicule and ostracize him! :makepoint:

Gator

I go by the ebay listings so I certainly wouldn't look for 1952 comics in the silver age section heck I would never find them there

Please identify him so we can ridicule and ostracize him! :makepoint:

lol

Gator

given that most all agree the silver age began late 55 or early 56, golden age ends where silver age beings (unless you subscribe to the atom age lol )

Gator

given that most all agree the silver age began late 55 or early 56, golden age ends where silver age beings (unless you subscribe to the atom age lol )

I would say the atom age exists, but is a subset of the golden age :)

been battling this for years...surgery is likely in my future :cry:

Hey bud hope you feel better soon!! A piece of advice from a youngster if you don't mind...if this is something that has come and gone for years you should get an MRI if you haven't alteady yet. People that haven't experienced that nerve pain can't possibly understand the debilitating effects it can have and what is so wierd is it may only happen when you turn just slightly. An MRI could help distinguish if have osteophyte (bone spurs) buildup or something else that may be causing the nerve to compress. Slight relief can be had from NSAIDs and muscle relaxants but ultimately you need to find the root cause. Also steroid injections done directly to the site can be quite useful and can be done outpatient. Like I said Hope you feel better pal a trapped sciatic nerve is nothing to smile at as it can be quite paralyzing in nature. Keep truckin brother!!

Hey G.A.tor,

While I know that this is the GA forum, I was hoping to ask a SA question. What is the difference in the price per point of a Pence AF 15 versus a US copy (e.g. US 5k per point while a Pence is 4k per point)?

Hey G.A.tor,

While I know that this is the GA forum, I was hoping to ask a SA question. What is the difference in the price per point of a Pence AF 15 versus a US copy (e.g. US 5k per point while a Pence is 4k per point)?

I'd say pence is about 60-70%

Hey G.A.tor,

I'd say pence is about 60-70%

That is what I was thinking as well Peter. I rarely see pence copies pop up, so I was curious as to what others thought.

Hey G.A.tor,

most pence af15 copies sell for 40-60% depending on grade, etc...but there really hasn't been enough sales to establish a "norm"

Hey G.A.tor,

most pence af15 copies sell for 40-60% depending on grade, etc...but there really hasn't been enough sales to establish a "norm"

Thanks Rick. I hope that your back is feeling better. :wishluck:

Hey G.A.tor,

Nick ( Flaming Telepath) would say otherwise.

I've sold AF #15, ASM #1, FF #1, Hulk #1, Strange Tales #101...all pence copies and all at 70%+ of OS.

Guess he does better with sales in the UK (shrug)

I suspect pence copies do sell better in the UK. But in the U.S. There are fewer sales and most end in the 40-60% range as avg. always exceptions on both ends of the bell curve

Hey G.A.tor,

Nick ( Flaming Telepath) would say otherwise.

I've sold AF #15, ASM #1, FF #1, Hulk #1, Strange Tales #101...all pence copies and all at 70%+ of OS.

Guess he does better with sales in the UK (shrug)

and that's 70% of os. Most all U.S. sa keys sell over os so 70% might be 40% of FMv. :idea:

Gator

Death of the GA

I take a different spin as to the "death" of the GA. This is part of an article I did for CBM on multiple origins of Timely characters. I will copy up here that my view is the GA died along with Professor Horton (creator of the Torch) in that cold day in 1949. This is symbolic and meant to be a more poetic view of this time period. It is not meant to spur an academic debate but reflect on a symbolic era.....

While this flies in the face of conventional wisdom, this end day works for me to be followed by the "Dark Age" of comics in the early 50s.....etc etc

MARVEL MYSTERY 92

...... The Torch has not seen Professor Horton for ten years. (This absence of a visit for so long makes sense in view of the ending of the original account. ....... Coming to the home of his creator as Horton lies on his deathbed, the Torch reminisces over his creation....

In this retelling, fellow scientists are first called to his home to view the Torch and see if they can help Horton control the flame. Seeing Horton’s creation as a menace to civilization, they release the story to the papers, portraying Horton as insane. Resenting this characterization, Horton invites members of the press to see the Torch. (This reverses the order of the original story). They too see the Torch as a threat.

Spurned by the press, Horton works day and night on a solution to solve the flaming problem. Finally after months of failure, Horton collapses from exhaustion. Horton is convinced by his doctor to rest and give up on his quest. Admitting his failure, Horton encases the Torch in a pool of concrete.

As in the original tale, the Torch is released by an apparent leak of air on August 10, 1940. The story then follows the original until the Torch returns after causing chaos in the city. In the updated version, he returns to a pool at the home of Professor Horton. .............

Returning to the present, the Torch is there as Horton is belatedly recognized by the scientific community for his contribution to science. Mere hours later, on December 28, 1948, as the Torch looks on, Horton dies.

....... Although the Human Torch and the Sub-Mariner briefly resurfaced in the mid 1950s, Sub-Mariner Comics 32 and Marvel Mystery 92, both covered dated June 1949 signalled the end of the golden age for Timely Comics. With lead time necessary for writing and drawing issues and placing them on the newsstands well in advance of the cover date, in a real sense, the Timely golden age symbolically died along with Professor Horton on that cold December day.

Sorry if this got too esoteric for the masses.....jb

But there lies some truth in there

Interesting take. Looking at the other end of the story -- start of SA, rather than end of GA -- I'm part of the lunatic fringe -- in fact, possibly it's only inhabitant :D -- who dates the start of the SA as Nov 1961, the publication date of FF 1.

:makepoint: I've posted this book before in other threads with similar sentiments also. i STILL say the golden age ended with this book: Marvel Family 89. If Captain Marvel and company really got things going when the Captain entered the fray to challenge Superman(even outselling the 'king' on multiple occasions), so it should only be that when they felt it wasn't (fun, lucrative)to continue in the comic game and settle with DC, ceasing publication(the 'golden' age is over)this would be the symbolic book marking the close of that era.

MarvelFamily89_zps3cd81e24.jpg