• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

Dear Gator,

1. In your opinion, what are the Top-10 most valuable GA Superhero books, and their current FMV in say, CGC 1.0 Universal?

2. Amongst the Top-10, which positions if any, do you expect to change in the next 10 years?

1.0 or 3.0 or 5.0...should be the same list

action 1

detective 27

superman 1

batman 1

captain America 1

marvel 1

all star 8

action 7

detective 31

whiz 1

an argument could be made to replace whiz 1 with pep 22...6 one way, half a dozen the other...with shazam picking up steam, went that route

I'd say whiz 1 and all star 8 will surpass marvel 1

I mentioned 1.0 because I'd like to know entry-level prices.

Do you have a guesstimate for FMV in 1.0 for your Top-10?

Good list BTW. (thumbs u

Dear Gator,

1. In your opinion, what are the Top-10 most valuable GA Superhero books, and their current FMV in say, CGC 1.0 Universal?

2. Amongst the Top-10, which positions if any, do you expect to change in the next 10 years?

action 1

detective 27

superman 1

batman 1

captain America 1

marvel 1

all star 8

action 7

detective 31

whiz 1

an argument could be made to replace whiz 1 with pep 22...6 one way, half a dozen the other...with shazam picking up steam, went that route

I mentioned 1.0 because I'd like to know entry-level prices.

Do you have a guesstimate for FMV in 1.0 for your Top-10?

Good list BTW. (thumbs u

not really. Fmv for entry level doesn't follow any set of rules bc not all 1.0 are created equal

Gator, Nick got picked for the premiere AAU baseball team I told you about. My question for 'Ask Gator' is: Can I borrow 2 Gs?
sure. Here you go. G G....2Gs. Congrats

Gator, I just Picked up these three books. Can you tell m anything about them?

Mr. Miracle Comics #4 Holyoke 1 shot. 1944

Master's Comic #4. Fawcett, 1940

Best Comics #4 Better publications 1940

Thanks and it was nice meeting you at comic con.....

Edited by SOLAR BOY

Dear Gator,

action 1

detective 27

superman 1

batman 1

captain America 1

marvel 1

all star 8

action 7

detective 31

whiz 1

Personally, I would take the Pep 22 over the AS 8 and the 'Tec 31 since it is a much tougher book to come across.

Especially when there appears to be so many copies of "rec 31 that has come into the marketplace over the past couple of years. I believe the significance of the AS 8 is diluted a bit by the presence of both Sensation 1 and WW 1.

But that's just my rationale for taking Pep 22 over both AS 8 and 'Tec 31. (shrug)

Dear Gator,

action 1

detective 27

superman 1

batman 1

captain America 1

marvel 1

all star 8

action 7

detective 31

whiz 1

Personally, I would take the Pep 22 over the AS 8 and the 'Tec 31 since it is a much tougher book to come across.

Especially when there appears to be so many copies of "rec 31 that has come into the marketplace over the past couple of years. I believe the significance of the AS 8 is diluted a bit by the presence of both Sensation 1 and WW 1.

But that's just my rationale for taking Pep 22 over both AS 8 and 'Tec 31. (shrug)

Nothing wrong with that preference. The market prefers batman and ww to Archie , hence my positions. But many books are interchangeable , your mileage will vary

Looks like a cool group of books. I can tell you that about them ;)

Gator ,I just picked up a Marvel Tales # 95 in a 3.5.Classic cover.How is the demand for it in your travels? Have you ever sold quite a few copies. Whats the price point been? Thanks.

Looks like a cool group of books. I can tell you that about them ;)

I picked up a VFish copy of the Holyoke one-shot from Harley a while back. First copy I had ever seen. Yours is the second.

I've never seen a copy of Best 4. Interesting tidbit: The hero Red Mask starts in issue 1 as black (I have a copy of that one) but is white on the cover of your issue 4. He's usually credited as being the first black hero in comics. Be fascinating to know the story of why the publisher morphed him from black to white.

Never seen a copy of Master 4. To my mind, that one is the pick of the three books you just bought.

Gator,

I bought a Top Notch 22 because of the Archie Ad. In the Ad, Archie seems more like a prototype than like the Archie we know and love.

I know the 2 comics are dated the same month, but comics come out on different weeks during the month. So my question is... Have you ever encountered any evidence that this ad might slightly predate Pep 22?

I picked up a VFish copy of the Holyoke one-shot from Harley a while back. First copy I had ever seen. Yours is the second.

The Holyoke one-shots don't get a lot of love, understandably so since they're oddball items.

I have 3, 7, and 10.

The Holyoke one-shots don't get a lot of love, understandably so since they're oddball items.

I have 3, 7, and 10.

That they are. I wonder how many collectors over the years thought they had a coverless copy, given the lack of a regular cover?

Gator ,I just picked up a Marvel Tales # 95 in a 3.5.Classic cover.How is the demand for it in your travels? Have you ever sold quite a few copies. Whats the price point been? Thanks.
only ever recall selling one copy, so have no real noticeable demand or frame of pricing reference, I'm afraid