• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

rick, do you have any idea why National 7 (classic Lou Fine underwater cover) is so under-valued in the Guide ($900 in Fine)?

What do you estimate FMV is on the book?

didn't the MH copy have a tough time finding a home (I think win eventually bought, after like the 3rd straight heritage auction)...

maybe it was a book bob still needed, and so the price stayed a little lower (shrug)

Yes, same theory that I have a per a post I had made a few weeks ago;

I believe the repeated unsuccessful attempts to auction the Church 9.6 copy of this book over a few years certainly did not help the valuation of this book.

I believe it was initially sold for over $20K back in the early 2000's and then went unsold for a few years after that before finally reselling for something like only $12K after the fourth attempt. I believe the Fine collectors were finally happy that it was able to find a good home after such a long time. (thumbs u

If it ever comes back to market now after being away for so long, I am quite sure the book will have no problems doing really well in this current market environment. :cloud9:

All I can say is that running on close to 10 years is a pretty long time to be banished to the penalty box. :sumo:

I guess the other thing hurting this book is how tough it is to find and hence, the apparent lack of sales to reinforce the upward price movement. The HA archives show only 1 other sale within the past 10 years and that was for a Fine 6.0 copy that sold for just over $2K back in February of 2014. Comic Connect shows a Conserved 6.0 copy that sold for $1,050 back in December of 2015. Can't seem to find any other sales for this book, so I assume there must be some private sales. Does anybody have the GPA stats on this book here? (shrug)

But as Steve has said, definitely undervalued in the guide from my point of view. (thumbs u

I guess the other thing hurting this book is how tough it is to find and hence, the apparent lack of sales to reinforce the upward price movement.

Fully agree with this assessment - for every copy I see of National 7, I see a handful of copies of Wonderworld 7, for example.

Rick;

With some of the recent record breaking prices being paid for uber low grade books such as 'Tec 31, Action 13, and the likes, do you think these books are being brought for:

1) As entry level copies by buyers without deep pockets who do not want to miss out on owing a copy of said book;

2) As possible parts or pieces to be used by restorers and/or speculators to upgrade their lower grade copies; or

3) A combination of both of the above? hm

Rick;

With some of the recent record breaking prices being paid for uber low grade books such as 'Tec 31, Action 13, and the likes, do you think these books are being brought for:

1) As entry level copies by buyers without deep pockets who do not want to miss out on owing a copy of said book;

2) As possible parts or pieces to be used by restorers and/or speculators to upgrade their lower grade copies; or

3) A combination of both of the above? hm

Entry level I suspect (hope)

So were they actually stolen or was it just a mix up?

Yes.

It was reported to me to be an honest mixup , and no way to prove ow so I was just happy I got the books back.

Rick,

I know you are a dealer, a friend to many here on the Boards, and an all-round good guy, so I am so happy your box "found" it's way back to you. But I have a question, with all the key books you obtain and help people fill their want lists with, I can't remember seeing any of your personal collection displayed here ...

Do you have a special Gator-only stash of key books for you and you only that never changes hands ?

curious FISH

Yes.

It was reported to me to be an honest mixup , and no way to prove ow so I was just happy I got the books back.

(thumbs u

Got to be more careful with "mix ups" in the future. ;)

Yes.

No doubt all of the media attention and heightened exposure here on the boards went a long way to helping to clear this mix-up sooner rather than later. (thumbs u

Just happy to hear that you got your books back in the end. :applause:

Rick,

I know you are a dealer, a friend to many here on the Boards, and an all-round good guy, so I am so happy your box "found" it's way back to you. But I have a question, with all the key books you obtain and help people fill their want lists with, I can't remember seeing any of your personal collection displayed here ...

Do you have a special Gator-only stash of key books for you and you only that never changes hands ?

curious FISH

he has an impressive run of funny stuff he's willed to be in the casket with him.

Mile High books always seem to cost significantly more than non-Mile High books. What kind of premium do you usually add for a Pedigree other than Mile High?
sometimes 1.5-4x....sometimes 10% ....sometimes nothing. Depends on ped

Mile High books always seem to cost significantly more than non-Mile High books. What kind of premium do you usually add for a Pedigree other than Mile High?

Where would you say Rockford fits into that?

Where would you say Rockford fits into that?

not much these days