• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

I haven't seen a 10 unrestored in the public market for a while and didn't a 13 poor recently sold on Heritage for almost 15K?

Yes, a no back cover 13 went for $14k+ recently on a Sunday HA.

That would appear to be an absolutely amazing price for a raw unslabbed graded book. A Poor grade actually appears to be on the generous side considering that it had no back cover, detached front cover, piece missing out of front cover, and tape running down the quite left side of the book:

http://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/action-comics-13-dc-1939-condition-pr-no-back-cover-/a/121627-11140.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

That price works out to a price of almost $30K per point which would work out to almost 7X what the price per point is in the Overstreet guide. The seller must be totally estatic with the result. :banana:

Punching a plane in mid-air flight

Stopping a train dead in it's tracks with one hand

??!!??!!

These two things are what Supes is all about, 10 & 13 faves of mine from all the Action covers

the 10 and 13 have great cover content, but Supe is drawn too small on those covers. If only he was larger like on the 7. The train on the 13 is great though. Unlike the early Actions, the Batman has a much larger drawn presence on the Pre Robins.

The 10 and 13 is an early concept of a Superheroe flexing his superpowers. I haven't seen a 10 unrestored in the public market for a while and didn't a 13 poor recently sold on Heritage for almost 15K?

plus the 13 supe image is just a mirror image flip of the 10 pose. The 10 is much tougher overall than any of the early action supe covers. Yes, a no back cover 13 went for $14k+ recently on a Sunday HA.

I tend to agree with Ben on most of this. I like covers in which the character "pops" out. On the AC10 and 13, Sups is drawn rather small.

With that being said, I prefer the 15 cover to either 10 or 13.

Of course #7 beats all three and #1 is in a class by itself. The problem with looking at a #1 is determining whether you like the cover for the art (scene) or simply because it is an AC1. Being as it is impossible to look at an AC1 and not see it as just that; an Action Comic #1 (first appearance of Superman, most valuable book, etc, etc), I think we need to refrain from lumping it in with the other covers when it comes to ranking.

As for me, my favorite Action cover of all times is #2. No superman, but the characters are big and pop out at you. As I look at the cover, it seems to tell a story of its own. I am sure I am in a BIG minority on this opinion, however, that is just one of the things that make comic collecting great; everyone's taste can differ and yet we can appreciate what others admire (without always agreeing with the other person's exact taste).

As for me, my favorite Action cover of all times is #2. No superman, but the characters are big and pop out at you. As I look at the cover, it seems to tell a story of its own. I am sure I am in a BIG minority on this opinion, however, that is just one of the things that make comic collecting great; everyone's taste can differ and yet we can appreciate what others admire (without always agreeing with the other person's exact taste).

I love Action 2 a lot and wish i still had my copy. I would read it a lot in the 80s and loved that cover. Hudson need you to sell me 1 BUD (worship)

??!!??!!

These two things are what Supes is all about, 10 & 13 faves of mine from all the Action covers

the 10 and 13 have great cover content, but Supe is drawn too small on those covers. If only he was larger like on the 7. The train on the 13 is great though. Unlike the early Actions, the Batman has a much larger drawn presence on the Pre Robins.

The 10 and 13 is an early concept of a Superheroe flexing his superpowers. I haven't seen a 10 unrestored in the public market for a while and didn't a 13 poor recently sold on Heritage for almost 15K?

plus the 13 supe image is just a mirror image flip of the 10 pose. The 10 is much tougher overall than any of the early action supe covers. Yes, a no back cover 13 went for $14k+ recently on a Sunday HA.

I tend to agree with Ben on most of this. I like covers in which the character "pops" out. On the AC10 and 13, Sups is drawn rather small.

Of course #7 beats all three and #1 is in a class by itself. The problem with looking at a #1 is determining whether you like the cover for the art (scene) or simply because it is an AC1. Being as it is impossible to look at an AC1 and not see it as just that; an Action Comic #1 (first appearance of Superman, most valuable book, etc, etc), I think we need to refrain from lumping it in with the other covers when it comes to ranking.

a BIG minority indeed. The cover to #2 has never attracted my eye in any way, shape, or form. But that's why they make Fords and Chevys, or BMWs and Porsches, if you prefer.

??!!??!!

a BIG minority indeed. The cover to #2 has never attracted my eye in any way, shape, or form. But that's why they make Fords and Chevys, or BMWs and Porsches, if you prefer.

I think I'm in that minority. The pre-hero DC covers have really been growing on me. So much so that I think I'm in the camp that prefers some of the early non-Superman Action covers to the Superman covers. I like the covers of issues 2 through 6 and 8 better than 1, 7, 10 and 13.

That's looking at them strictly as covers, divorced from the cosmic significance of Superman in the history of comics.

??!!??!!

I think I'm in that minority. The pre-hero DC covers have really been growing on me. So much so that I think I'm in the camp that prefers some of the early non-Superman Action covers to the Superman covers. I like the covers of issues 2 through 6 and 8 better than 1, 7, 10 and 13.

That's looking at them strictly as covers, divorced from the cosmic significance of Superman in the history of comics.

Action 2 was voted into the Heritage-CGC top 40 golden age covers list; it is certainly a highly respected cover. (thumbs u

??!!??!!

(thumbs u

An even bigger problem for it is following the iconic first issue and not having a Superman on it.

??!!??!!

I love pre hero DC, and collected it long before most people did. But, Action 2, isn't pre-hero and isn't and interesting cover in my view

I love pre hero DC, and collected it long before most people did. But, Action 2, isn't pre-hero and isn't and interesting cover in my view

True. I suppose I should have said "non-hero."

What kind of books are you bringing and what is the filter81 booth? I don't see it in the exhibitors guide for SDCC.

Booth 1006. We only make it out to the West Coast once every 3-4 years lately so we're hoping lots of people stop by and say hi!

What kind of books are you bringing and what is the filter81 booth? I don't see it in the exhibitors guide for SDCC.

Booth 1006. We only make it out to the West Coast once every 3-4 years lately so we're hoping lots of people stop by and say hi!

Cool. I'll look for you. (thumbs u

Dear gator

I'm a big fan of the detective comics actual police covers, what's the going rate for a detective #32 . Price per point

1k-1250 generally

Do you make it to the East Coast shows? Baltimore or NY?

we have a big set up at Baltimore (filter usually not in attendance) and we do a nice booth at nycc (gator/filter combo)

we have a big set up at Baltimore (filter usually not in attendance) and we do a nice booth at nycc (gator/filter combo)

Rick,

I usually attend Baltimore every year (usually Friday evening before the big weekend crowds). I have probably met you and don't even know it. Forgive my ignorance, but what is the name of your "set up" (company)?

I am hoping to make it to Baltimore again this year, although I believe it is Labor Day weekend and so I may be off somewhere with the family. Would like to be able to stop by your booth and say hello.

That sounds familiar.

I remember there were NOT a lot of booths with single digits Action Comics in them. I did see one, however, that caught my eye. I recall it having maybe 3 single digit Actions (including an 8). More impressive was I believe this booth also had at least 6 copies (probably more) of Superman #14.

If memory serves me right, that was "New Force".

I think I remember saying to myself, "I need to look them up online and see what they have".

If that was your booth, it was the most impressive one I saw!

Someone mentioned an Action #13 sale of a poor 0.5 for 15K

No way this is a 30K per point book ............... or is it? What say you - what is a reasonable PPP on this book? Looking for some Gator insight as this book is hardly ever for sale ..