• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC 2011, July 20-24, San Diego, CA

521 posts in this topic

Is artist alley open preview night?

Only some of the artists will be signing and sketching their art books at their mostly independent publisher's booths. Very few artists will be at artist alley, as they are still flying or driving in.

Think Wed. preview night ends around 8:00 pm but greggy knows better ... as always.

Regarding artist alley: many do not show up on preview night. But, those that do usually take names for their list. For some, the list fills out preview night and everyone else is locked out. So, if you have someone in mind, check to see Thursday night to make sure you get on their list.

Dinner: I'm in (even though I may not go to the con) Who's organizing?

How long is preview night? Is artist alley open preview night?

Officially, Preview Night on Wednesday runs from 6 pm to 9 pm. In reality, because of the long lines of people waiting to get in for Preview Night, they start opening 1 door at 5:30 pm or so. (They line everyone up at their upstairs "sails area" and then feed that line into the exhibit hall first. Once that line has gone in, they radio the rest of the security to let anyone come in through any of the regular exhibit hall doors.)

It is true, a number of artists do not show up for Preview Night, as some are still traveling, working, stuck in traffic, stuck at the loading dock, not interested, etc, or they use Preview Night to walk around themselves. However, a good amount of artists do show up for Preview Night and it's an excellent chance to get on their commission lists or pick up their exclusive sketchbooks, prints, etc, and throw them in your car or hotel room so you're not lugging them around during a full day at the show.

While Preview Night is crowded, it's the best time to get the "lay of the land", line up for exclusives, and start gathering signing schedules from companies that hadn't posted it yet. Here's a little tip: Some companies, like Hasbro, which normally make you line up at their upstairs area to get a wristband to enter their booth and buy exclusives, will let the first X people jump into their booth line on Preview Night only without a wristband. In other words, if you want an exclusive, Preview Night may be the easiest time to attempt to get it.

Geez, I'm starting to get excited for the show just typing about it. :)

Joel

Is anyone planning to subject themselves to the Hasbro line? I just cancelled my hotel due to financial circumstances. I may still couch surf, but it's looking like this year is off for me. If anyone is going through the Hasbro line, I am interested in multiples of the Starscream/Sky Striker exclusive. It hits way too much of a sweet spot for me.

The easiest way to find out is to go to eBay and type in SDCC 2011. Already 500+ listings for exclusives, a lot of them Hasbro. I'm sure the toy sites have already posted exclusive photos and descriptions.

Based on the prices, I'm predicting you don't even need to waste time in the Hasbro line by the time of the convention. With so many people trying to pre-sell them, prices are coming down almost across the board. It wouldn't surprise me to see them at a slight markup by the time of the show, or if people miscalculate, maybe below the total price (because, at the show, they charge people sales tax) I would think the GI Joe Zarana variant figure will be in demand. Anything in the Hasbro line that is 1 per person should retain a premium on eBay. Anything 2 per person is a possible gain. Anything more than 2 per person, you will have many options. The Starscream one does look cool, and I wouldn't mind buying the Sentinel figure, but I remember how big the Galactus ones were last year. I'm sure the Sentinels are the same size, and trying to haul a case of those back to my car almost killed me. :)