• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tony Moore's Walking Dead Post TV Show OA asking prices are....

550 posts in this topic

I guess i'm in the minority here but I wouldn't really care much for somebody sending me emails for overpriced shet.

+1

I really really do like TM's art a ton more than Adlard's but this was ridiculous. I guess TM got what he wanted tho if someone paid 35k for 4 pages. That boggles my mind.

1.) Big red were one price last week.

2.) A show promoting big red came out in the interim.

3.) An unsolicited email was sent to you that read, "Hey! We now have big red in stock."

4.) Big red have now increased in price exponentially because we are finding it hard to part with them because they are close to our... um... heart.

However, outside of that, I'm just not feeling it, dude.

Jim,

These pages were NOT for sale last week. John was quoting numbers from over a year ago. You have no basis to say that the rose from last week to this week. It's just false and an assumption based on speculation.

Also, everyone who got that email had emailed Tony and Kara about WD or their art, or signed up to be emailed on their site. John admitted as much. HE INITIATED CONTACT with them last year, all the Moore's did was contact people who had contacted them about artwork as this was a significant update including several pages I have never seen them offer for sale before.

Maybe if you took the actual facts of what occurred into account, along with the actual prices and the actual time line...you'd "feel it" just fine. (shrug)

Chris,

I'm not ignoring any of the facts. The pages were one price at a given point in time. The WD TV show hit the airwaves. The pages have now risen in price exponentially. All they had to say was, "Yeah, we feel the WD is approaching a zenith in it's popularity and the new prices reflect this belief."

I understand the Moores are friends, and I'm sure they are nice people. However, I think all of this could have been handled better by all involved.

So prices are never allowed to go up on comic art? Seriously?

That's not what I said. Where does it say prices are not allowed to increase? You're as bad as JC.

No you're not, Dicey. And you don't need me to tell you that. No one's that bad. Not even me.

You know, come to think of it, I don't believe I have ever seen you and JC at odds with one another. I wonder... hm .

Nah, couldn't be. At some point, everyone is at odds with you, or JC for that matter. I'm going to assume the incident got lost in the shuffle... set adrift on the sands of time.

:o

Dude, you never post a conversation from a PM thread unless it is to be used as an A-bomb in the most unholy of message board flame wars.

(tsk)

Yeah, never ever!!! :sumo:

But you can, however, post private emails on a message board where the person who sent them is not a member and cannot respond directly.

That's totally ok. :eyeroll:

While I've made my feelings fairly clear, I honestly can't believe this topic has warranted this much discussion.

I just want him to admit he's cashing in, not this insipid story of loving the art. I don't care that he's cashing in, in fact I'm happy he is. It just irks me the same way the athletes do it.

That being said, I can't believe the legs this thread has had, it's like a pressing thread!

Brian. You shouldnt have posted.... This thread is a massive pile of dung. I read very little, said the same thing you did and was flamed for it. Apparently this dude is some sort of patron saint and speaking poorly of hime leads to exile.

While I've made my feelings fairly clear, I honestly can't believe this topic has warranted this much discussion.

I just want him to admit he's cashing in, not this insipid story of loving the art. I don't care that he's cashing in, in fact I'm happy he is. It just irks me the same way the athletes do it.

That being said, I can't believe the legs this thread has had, it's like a pressing thread!

Brian,

Not everyone that asks a high price for things is simply and solely trying to cash in. Without knowing the person you are talking about well, it seems reckless to assume that just by the dollar signs. How can you know for a fact there isn't a lot more to the story? Are you not taking into account that this has been their stance for at least the 5 years that I have been trying and failing to get a piece of his WD artwork? They have never wavered and this is not something created because of a TV show.

What the Moore's are doing is no different than dozens of other artists do with their prized pieces. I have seen it time after time. Artists are not immune to the needs of the real world, but they will react emotionally to certain of their creations. It's not a ruse, or a lie, or a scheme to justify a high price, it's how they really feel. Most artists have items they will keep unless overwhelmed price-wise. They would rather sell everything else than let it go. However they also know that a pretty piece of art doesn't buy the diapers, formula or pay the mortgage. So if selling a piece at a price that leaves them no regrets helps them I don't see how this is "insipid".

I realize you are a dealer in comics, and you work with David who is also a dealer but in artwork, just because you guys run collectibles as a business doesn't meant that everyone you encounter shares the same motivations and desires. Artists and creators do things emotionally first.

If you've never encountered an artist who's held out for a higher than normal price on a favorite piece then you haven't been in the art world very long. You can't shake a stick at a convention without hitting an artist with a similar story.

I have seen dealers use the emotional attachment angle while hawking their wares and I would doubt their motivations. The Moores have shown over the long haul that there's no reason to doubt their motivations. There's no reason to doubt their honesty either.

Brian. You shouldnt have posted.... This thread is a massive pile of dung. I read very little, said the same thing you did and was flamed for it. Apparently this dude is some sort of patron saint and speaking poorly of hime leads to exile.

Pat,

I hope you don't think I flamed you. It wasn't my intent and I really like you. I just think that a lot (most) of the negativity in this thread comes from people that don't know these people, making assumptions about their motivations based on nothing more than a price and the word of one person.

They are also making assumptions based on a chain of emails that the OP admits are incomplete. And it was posted on a message board where the Moore's are not members, cannot respond to being called liars and profiteers, and are left without means to defend themselves.

The worst way to make a decision is knowing less than all the facts and without knowing anything about the parties.

It would be as if you or I posted a sales thread and said "These are my favorite books/art in my collection and I love them a great deal so if I am selling them it will be for a premium price or not at all." Would you like it if someone who didn't know you, didn't know your circumstances, and had no experience with you came out and basically called you a liar and that your statement about why you have priced the pages as you did was a falsehood?

I don't think either of us would like that very much. That's why people are disagreeing with the vilification of the Moore's on little more than a disgruntled collector's word and less than all the correspondence.

But I like you Pat, I don't want you to think I have a problem with you at all. :foryou:

Pat,

I hope you don't think I flamed you. It wasn't my intent and I really like you. I just think that a lot (most) of the negativity in this thread comes from people that don't know these people, making assumptions about their motivations based on nothing more than a price and the word of one person.

They are also making assumptions based on a chain of emails that the OP admits are incomplete. And it was posted on a message board where the Moore's are not members, cannot respond to being called liars and profiteers, and are left without means to defend themselves.

The worst way to make a decision is knowing less than all the facts and without knowing anything about the parties.

It would be as if you or I posted a sales thread and said "These are my favorite books/art in my collection and I love them a great deal so if I am selling them it will be for a premium price or not at all." Would you like it if someone who didn't know you, didn't know your circumstances, and had no experience with you came out and basically called you a liar and that your statement about why you have priced the pages as you did was a falsehood?

I don't think either of us would like that very much. That's why people are disagreeing with the vilification of the Moore's on little more than a disgruntled collector's word and less than all the correspondence.

But I like you Pat, I don't want you to think I have a problem with you at all. :foryou:

Thanks Chris! I do like that you explained what you believe to be the reasoning here, and in light it could make sense. It is just the Email to anyone who inquired in the past thing, thats the kicker. If they really dont want to sell, why the Email? Thats my only real point, along with timing.

And thanks for not questioning my intellegence or comprehension skills. :foryou:

Chris, wait until the new guy posts the PM Pat sent him about you.

:o:ohnoez:

You and I used to talk alot.. :hi:

And then you went Jersey Shore on me. :baiting:

:ohnoez:

Chris, wait until the new guy posts the PM Pat sent him about you.

:o:ohnoez:

You and I used to talk alot.. :hi:

And then you went Jersey Shore on me. :baiting:

:ohnoez:

I hate those people and wish them nothing good. Seriously, dumbest people I have ever encountered. And besides they are mostly NY trash, with some N.Jersey mixed in.

FYI: Not all NYers are trash, or like these mo-rons.

Enh, the bottom line is basically this, there's a few guys who know him well and really like him. I've never been interested in buying his OA, so you can't say I'm whining over the prices.

I understand people like him, he may be a super nice guy etc. I'm sure he is (anyone Jesperson is good friends with, I think are generally good people). But I do think that it's a little disingenuous to say I "love" something -- and that's the reason for the high prices. No, it's because your book is super hot right now so I want to try and cash in and I don't want to give it away.

And that's cool. But you know, can we for once be honest? We're doing it for the money. Pressers are doing it for the money. We're trying to flip books for the money. I take the big contract where ever to play for that team... for the money.

All this other stuff about the artist selling for whatever he wants is all true -- I don't see anyone contradicting it. Sticker it for $1million -- who cares? Just don't tell me that you're doing it for anything else other than the money. That's what I hate about artists who try to sell me on their "craft" instead of the ultimate bottom line.

I can have debate with Chris or Jon or Anthony and I never feel it's personal or anything else though. They have their point of view, I have mine and I think the discussion is healthy. But I made my point and I didn't want to spend 20 more pages making them or I defend it. Now that's it's going that long anyway, I'm just weighing in. But those guys make good and fair points as well on the other side about Tony and i appreciate that perspective, I just want to keep it "real".

Enh, the bottom line is basically this, there's a few guys who know him well and really like him. I've never been interested in buying his OA, so you can't say I'm whining over the prices.

I understand people like him, he may be a super nice guy etc. I'm sure he is (anyone Jesperson is good friends with, I think are generally good people). But I do think that it's a little disingenuous to say I "love" something -- and that's the reason for the high prices. No, it's because your book is super hot right now so I want to try and cash in and I don't want to give it away.

And that's cool. But you know, can we for once be honest? We're doing it for the money. Pressers are doing it for the money. We're trying to flip books for the money. I take the big contract where ever to play for that team... for the money.

All this other stuff about the artist selling for whatever he wants is all true -- I don't see anyone contradicting it. Sticker it for $1million -- who cares? Just don't tell me that you're doing it for anything else other than the money. That's what I hate about artists who try to sell me on their "craft" instead of the ultimate bottom line.

I can have debate with Chris or Jon or Anthony and I never feel it's personal or anything else though. They have their point of view, I have mine and I think the discussion is healthy. But I made my point and I didn't want to spend 20 more pages making them or I defend it. Now that's it's going that long anyway, I'm just weighing in. But those guys make good and fair points as well on the other side about Tony and i appreciate that perspective, I just want to keep it "real".

And neither of us can get our hourly rate on this discussion so ... :foryou: