• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tony Moore's Walking Dead Post TV Show OA asking prices are....

550 posts in this topic

Pat it is not rocket science. I am not sure what the price was on the page with the bicyclist zombie. I think it was two grand. It was priced that high because the Moores want people to not buy it. But if someone does, it is good bread. After seeing the first episode, I would have paid two grand for that page in a heartbeat. So would the OP most likely and so would a ton of people. The price needed to go up if it was going to retain its "stupid money" status. That OA has gone up in value over the past couple of years, but it really spiked after that show aired.

Everything they have done is completely consistent with their attitudes and pricing policies. That is what fires me up the most. The OP is posting like their position is inconsistent or arbitrary. It is not.

Sean, kind of insulted..

I could give two :censored:'s what they price at. The stance that the posters here brought up was they were not very interested in selling. Yet they send an Email out. Do you understand what I am getting at? I dont care if they make up numbers nobody has heard of. My point is that if they didnt really want to sell, why bother doing this?

Because they do want to sell. But they want to sell at a price that would be available to collectors, not really flippers. Which is fine. But taht is NOT the same as not really interested in selling. THAT is my point.

You have to understand, the whole flippant attitude that Tony Moore had in the original emails were AFTER the OP had sent him an email degrading him, his art, and his prices. To keep beating Tony up about this "not really interested in selling" comment is irresponsible and irrational. Until we get to read the missing email SOT sent him, everything after that is being taken completely out of context.

Even after Tony was degraded, he kept it very professional. If anything, he should be commended for not making a personal attack at SOT, because I sure as hell would have.

relentless: [ri-lent-lis]

that does not relent; unyieldingly severe, strict, or harsh; exapmle .

Does that have anything to do with the fact that the OP won't post his person_too_unaware_of_social_graces email?

Does that have anything to do with the fact that the OP won't post his person_too_unaware_of_social_graces email?

Him being a nincompoop doesn't make his initial point any less valid.

That the prices are high? Dear holy magpie, tell me you're not serious.

Dude. The prices are high. I don't think anyone is arguing with that. But the prices are what they are. Degrading TM in an email isn't going to make them go down. It just makes the one doing the degrading look like a big red . hm

+1

Nicely said.

If the OP and his followers really think that the pieces are overpriced - then be the geniuses who buy them back for cheaper when the prices go down.

One question for anybody.

The actual artwork referenced in this thread. Right to price notwithstanding, does anybody think the pricing is good?

I mean, we rail on and make fun of ebayers constantly for their crazy, whacked out prices. Is it at all possible that Tony's prices are indeed, completely ridiculous?

Having the right to price something at whatever amount you want does not necessarily mean that you're pricing also isn't :screwy: They are not mutually exclusive concepts.

Is anybody here lining up to buy at his ask prices?

I'm just curious. I have never read or even seen anything related to WD other than maybe somebody posting a slab here.

The perception is, is that they are really high. That's perception however. These aren't comics, these aren't widgets or soy beans or any other commodity. Each page is it's own unique entity. All one of a kind.

So personally I believe the price is high, but that's just gut feeling and that I know Tony wants to hang onto these unless he gets a "no regrets" price.

Anyone who says they are "positive" that the art is drastically overpriced is not speaking from fact. Fact would dictate that there are a dozen pages that sold publicly in the last year for a lot less than what Tony is asking. That hasn't happened. There are no public market comps from the last year, or the last three years for that matter.

There's been only one public sale of an interior page, that was at auction 4 years ago. It was a nice page and it sold for over $1k all that time ago. In the OA world that data point is almost useless. I would fully expect that same page, if it went up for sale today to easily triple or quadruple that auction price.

Most of the pages Tony is offering now are better, some are equal, but some are incredibly superior in comparison.

There's lots of uneducated assumption in this thread but from someone who's actually spent 90% of his time in this hobby collecting artwork over the last 20 years. I can tell you that I would not be shocked if Tony could easily get 50-60% of his asking prices for most of the pages. That means his price level, set to try and keep the art unless he gets a premium price, is right on target.

I have worked with, bought from and even represented several artists. I have seen artists ask for AND GET triple to quadruple market price for piece they would prefer to keep or they think is their best stuff. It's a fact. Hell there are pieces that have sold recently by other artists (and lesser known) that have sold at many multiples higher than that.

That's probably what is hamstringing the debate here. People who collect artwork day in an day out don't get shocked to the point of insulting the artist over high prices. Unique pieces will demand unique prices and each artist stands on his own.

There are literally DOZENS of artists who practice similar pricing strategies. Some are even more overt about it. One VERY popular artist prices all of his artwork incredibly high for the first six months because he has some very rich and very famous fans. These are fans with the cash to pay whatever the asking price might be.

When you are speaking to the creator of a piece all bets are off. That's common knowledge in the hobby. I've personally paid a creator 5 times what I thought market value was for a piece because 1) that's what it took to get it from him, 2) it was a perfect example, 3) the choice was to either get it at that price or walk away.

Option 4) berate the artist when the price is more than I want to spend, email and insult him privately, post his private emails publicly, and attempt to embarrass him on a message board is not really an option at all if you really like the art and respect the artist.

Dude. The prices are high. I don't think anyone is arguing with that. But the prices are what they are. Degrading TM in an email isn't going to make them go down. It just makes the one doing the degrading look like a big red . hm

I might could see your point if, say:

1.) Big red were one price last week.

2.) A show promoting big red came out in the interim.

3.) An unsolicited email was sent to you that read, "Hey! We now have big red in stock."

4.) Big red have now increased in price exponentially because we are finding it hard to part with them because they are close to our... um... heart.

However, outside of that, I'm just not feeling it, dude.

3.) An unsolicited email was sent to you that read, "Hey! We now have big red in stock."

4.) Big red have now increased in price exponentially because we are finding it hard to part with them because they are close to our... um... heart.

You'd be feeling it if I was in your security line at the airport. hm

What's with you and this airport security fetish all of a sudden?

I want to go catch a flight. I'd make them think twice about frisking anyone again. hm

What's with you and this airport security fetish all of a sudden?

I want to go catch a flight. I'd make them think twice about frisking anyone again. hm

You itching for a tour of the cockpit?

^^

Jim,

I think you are misquoting and misunderstanding what John said when he posted. He never said the price went up over night. He never said the email was unsolicited.

These pages were NOT for sale last week. John was quoting numbers from over a year ago. You have no basis to say that the rose from last week to this week. It's just false and an assumption based on speculation.

Also, everyone who got that email had emailed Tony and Kara about WD or their art, or signed up to be emailed on their site. John admitted as much. HE INITIATED CONTACT with them last year, all the Moore's did was contact people who had contacted them about artwork as this was a significant update including several pages I have never seen them offer for sale before.

Maybe if you took the actual facts of what occurred into account, along with the actual prices and the actual time line...you'd "feel it" just fine. (shrug)

And you are the dude that said posts on a message board don't have to make sense... sheesh. Proved that point.

Dan

Jim,

These pages were NOT for sale last week. John was quoting numbers from over a year ago. You have no basis to say that the rose from last week to this week. It's just false and an assumption based on speculation.

Also, everyone who got that email had emailed Tony and Kara about WD or their art, or signed up to be emailed on their site. John admitted as much. HE INITIATED CONTACT with them last year, all the Moore's did was contact people who had contacted them about artwork as this was a significant update including several pages I have never seen them offer for sale before.

Maybe if you took the actual facts of what occurred into account, along with the actual prices and the actual time line...you'd "feel it" just fine. (shrug)

Stop making sense with all your collecting knowledge and stuff! People want to be mad at an artist 'cuz he won't sell under market!!!

Dan

Jim,

Chris,

I'm not ignoring any of the facts. The pages were one price at a given point in time. The WD TV show hit the airwaves. The pages have now risen in price exponentially. All they had to say was, "Yeah, we feel the WD is approaching a zenith in it's popularity and the new prices reflect this belief."

I understand the Moores are friends, and I'm sure they are nice people. However, I think all of this could have been handled better by all involved.