• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HULK 181 CGC 9.9?
1 1

488 posts in this topic

What I DO know is that a Hulk 181 in 9.6 white with outstanding cover registration, as this particular example might now actually grade, goes for less than $7K.

Which is still too much for an ultra-common BA book, no matter whose first appearance is inside.

Plus, it`s not even really a first appearance.

+1. Hulk 181 is so common it is scary. I actually can't imagine paying more than 1k to 2k for a 9.6 and even that would mean I was drunk when ibought it.

And I can't imagine paying what you pay for the comics in your collection. Despite the comics in your collection apparently being cooler than the comics in my collection. ;)

+1

While it's not a book that's of any interest to me personally, to ignore the importance of Wolverine and the scale of this book in terms of its nature as a "key" is to put personal opinion in front of reason. This handy chart will help clarify things:

Importance of Marvel Characters:

1. Spider-man

2. Wolverine

3. Who cares, it's not spider-man or Wolverine.

I guess he doesn`t count? Mainstream would disagree.

ironman.jpg

His last two movies destroyed Wolverine at the box office and his latest animated series was renewed for high ratings while the Wolverine animated series was cancelled. I put him at two for now,his licensed merchandise outsold Spider-man`s last year(kinda shocked Disney). One to watch for future generations. 2c

:jokealert:

(At least a couple of people laughed)

2,3,5... whatever... the point remains the same- Wolverine is a HUGE character and discounting his 1st appearance because it occurs in the wrong comics era is silly. That and Iron Man sucks

(that's another joke)

I hear yea :) kinda like people who discount Walking Dead because it`s a modern. (thumbs u

I hear yea :) kinda like people who discount Walking Dead because it`s a modern. (thumbs u

I think people discount WD because, well, it's not actually that wonderful.

It's a good story, but not ground-breaking.

It has well-written characters, but no iconic characters.

It is irreversably mired in a genre that has current 'hot' appeal, rather than a genre that has proven longevity.

It appeals to an audience that is already mature.

It has little cross-over marketing potential, other than to a niche audience.

All in all, it hasn't got the legs and it ain't going to grow any.

What I DO know is that a Hulk 181 in 9.6 white with outstanding cover registration, as this particular example might now actually grade, goes for less than $7K.

Which is still too much for an ultra-common BA book, no matter whose first appearance is inside.

Plus, it`s not even really a first appearance.

+1. Hulk 181 is so common it is scary. I actually can't imagine paying more than 1k to 2k for a 9.6 and even that would mean I was drunk when ibought it.

And I can't imagine paying what you pay for the comics in your collection. Despite the comics in your collection apparently being cooler than the comics in my collection. ;)

+1

While it's not a book that's of any interest to me personally, to ignore the importance of Wolverine and the scale of this book in terms of its nature as a "key" is to put personal opinion in front of reason. This handy chart will help clarify things:

Importance of Marvel Characters:

1. Spider-man

2. Wolverine

3. Who cares, it's not spider-man or Wolverine.

I guess he doesn`t count? Mainstream would disagree.

ironman.jpg

His last two movies destroyed Wolverine at the box office and his latest animated series was renewed for high ratings while the Wolverine animated series was cancelled. I put him at two for now,his licensed merchandise outsold Spider-man`s last year(kinda shocked Disney). One to watch for future generations. 2c

:jokealert:

(At least a couple of people laughed)

2,3,5... whatever... the point remains the same- Wolverine is a HUGE character and discounting his 1st appearance because it occurs in the wrong comics era is silly. That and Iron Man sucks

(that's another joke)

If you havent read it, you cant knock it. But I would not by that series in any form other than TPB.

I will step out and weigh in from the point of view of a potential buyer. I collect mint books, I collect Wolverine and I collect bronze books.

This was at one time a book that I was actually interested in purchasing. I spoke with a couple people who saw the book in hand at SD and had enough concerns about whether it had suffered SCS or was "truly mint" that I balked at the 60K price which was roughly 3x9.8 at the time.

Valuing mint books is impossible for most collectors because they don't have any real experience with the market. I do. And I can tell you that without the concerns over possible SCS, this book would have sold for $60K in 2001-03 and I believe it would now sell for over $100K. If a mint copy of the copper age first appearance of Deadpool sells for over $10K, then a mint copy of the bronze-age first appearance of Wolverine is legitimately a $100K+ book.

That being said, the concerns over this book are known enough that unless the seller deals with them, I don't see the book selling to a collector/investor at this price.

Edited by Worldsbestcomics

I think people discount WD because, well, it's not actually that wonderful. Not so sure. I'm incredibly critical. and I really like this book.

It's a good story, but not ground-breaking. Can't argue with that.

It has well-written characters, but no iconic characters. Again, can't argue with that. Some really good characters. Nobody "iconic". Michonne could be, I suppose. But I like Rick better. And he's not "iconic"

It is irreversably mired in a genre that has current 'hot' appeal, rather than a genre that has proven longevity. Again, can't argue with that....30 Days of NIght has the vampirer fad at full-force. Now, narry a whisper. Zombies? Great concept (executed to perfection thusfar...only time will tell on longevity; hindsight is 20/20.).

It appeals to an audience that is already mature.

It has little cross-over marketing potential, other than to a niche audience.

All in all, it hasn't got the legs and it ain't going to grow any.

My joints are up in italics. :eek:

Edited by chrisco37

After reading this entire thread, i still cannot believe all this hype over a BA book. should we not be fighting over GA or SA book quality ??? If some knucklehead wants to drop 100g's on that book - go for it. It would be more fortuitous for all of us in the long run; right?? (shrug)

After reading this entire thread, i still cannot believe all this hype over a BA book. should we not be fighting over GA or SA book quality ??? If some knucklehead wants to drop 100g's on that book - go for it. It would be more fortuitous for all of us in the long run; right?? (shrug)

For some of us (myself and, I assume, you), yes, it's fortuitous (well, maybe you; i'll never have that kind of money for a funny book).

Still, I'm with you on the initial premise. krazy, krazy, krazy.... :insane:

Would that it did. Books like this that are extreme outliers have little to no effect on the overall market. Could even be argued that it wouldn't really affect anything other than perhaps other HG Hulk 181s that will either drop in price because they're 'merely' 9.8s or raise if said 9.8s can be potentialised

Would that it did. Books like this that are extreme outliers have little to no effect on the overall market. Could even be argued that it wouldn't really affect anything other than perhaps other HG Hulk 181s that will either drop in price because they're 'merely' 9.8s or raise if said 9.8s can be potentialised

You flippin' rock! You are my main homey!

Everything I was thinking and wanted to say, just way more eloquent. And you spelled with an "s". Sal is the best. (worship)

Wolverine is no small thing, right?

(shrug)

(shrug)

Canadian man-love. :cloud9:

An awesome sight to behold. :baiting:

(shrug)

Canadian man-love. :cloud9:

An awesome sight to behold. :baiting:

Yes, I like short hairy men with big forearms. You got me.

:devil:

I've seen that language before, have you ever seen it actually happen?

I don't think I've ever seen them undertake a grading on a book where the grading fee would be over $100 when the submitter paid the $11 reholder fee.

:hi:

I submitted a GS X-Men 1 CGC 9.2 as a reholder two years ago, and a 9.4 came back. I had a feeling the book had been slightly undergraded.

:o

try a similar resub now...

you were lucky then my friend CAL

:hi:

I submitted a GS X-Men 1 CGC 9.2 as a reholder two years ago, and a 9.4 came back. I had a feeling the book had been slightly undergraded.

:o

try a similar resub now...

you were lucky then my friend CAL

The only time it ever happened to a reholder of mine. But what a book to have this happen!

:cloud9:

I will step out and weigh in from the point of view of a potential buyer. I collect mint books, I collect Wolverine and I collect bronze books.

This was at one time a book that I was actually interested in purchasing. I spoke with a couple people who saw the book in hand at SD and had enough concerns about whether it had suffered SCS or was "truly mint" that I balked at the 60K price which was roughly 3x9.8 at the time.

Valuing mint books is impossible for most collectors because they don't have any real experience with the market. I do. And I can tell you that without the concerns over possible SCS, this book would have sold for $60K in 2001-03 and I believe it would now sell for over $100K. If a mint copy of the copper age first appearance of Deadpool sells for over $10K, then a mint copy of the bronze-age first appearance of Deadpool is legitimately a $100K+ book.

That being said, the concerns over this book are known enough that unless the seller deals with them, I don't see the book selling to a collector/investor at this price.

If a midgrade copy of AF15 is worth 20K plus, this book is worth 100k

It's just that pressing was not nearly as prevelant 9 years ago as it is today, thats why I think there will be more 9.9 copies. It seems like every third BA key or semi key 9.0/9.2 and up has been subject to a press job the last few years.

As far as this sale having virtually nothing to do current or near-term future of the market, if it's not real time sales that drive the market, what does? We have seen it over and over again, to name a few recent examples: Action #1, Detective #27, GL #76, etc.