• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1000 comics in 2011 book club

1,225 posts in this topic

Finished Wilt, the last TPB of 100 Bullets. I tore through the first 12 trades in a month last year ... but waited somehow til this Fall to buy the last trade. I liked the wrap-up and the decision made by Azzarello on how to close the book on the series. That made for +12 over the last 2 days.

Finished JSA Princes of Darkness. I cannot say enough good things about this series. Goyer leaves after this story line but I have faith that Johns will keep up the great work.

I will pick up the JSA run after reading my Katy Keene run.

How the hell do you people have enough time to read so many comics?

Oh, by the way, this whole book club thing got me wondering...when you read your comics, how much time do you spend studying the art for each panel? Do you breeze through the story reading the dialog and just glancing at the art, or do you soak up the details of each panel?

One of the reasons I ask is that I just finished X-Men 1-7 last night, and Jim Lee's art is really fun to study. Often times it looks great at first glance, but upon closer inspection, there are a few anatomy issues. Other times, the image is just too well done to move past too quickly.

Oh, by the way, this whole book club thing got me wondering...when you read your comics, how much time do you spend studying the art for each panel? Do you breeze through the story reading the dialog and just glancing at the art, or do you soak up the details of each panel?

One of the reasons I ask is that I just finished X-Men 1-7 last night, and Jim Lee's art is really fun to study. Often times it looks great at first glance, but upon closer inspection, there are a few anatomy issues. Other times, the image is just too well done to move past too quickly.

(thumbs u

Occasionally something about the art may make me look twice but I'm a reader not a gawker.

Thought I'd give it a shot; curious as to how many books I read a year....

Will start by reading what I have in my comic shop pulls:

Brightest Day #17

Freedom Fighters #5

Weird Worlds #1

Avengers Prime #5 (of 5)

Thanos Inperative: Devastation

With these early Detective comics, there is a lot going on in each panel that I take the time to absorb. That's why a 13 page story takes 15-20 minutes to read.

Depends on the artist. Kelley on Batman, I can get lost looking at his panels. Same thing with Lee on Batman.

Trades I can read faster than single issues. So it got me thinking how realistic is our goal. In trade format, I think it will be easy to achieve it. Most trades collect 7 issues and if you can read approximately 11-12 trades in a month then you good.

For me, I was planning on re-reading my Nightwing, Flash and Catwoman trades this year. Plus I still have the entire run of Cerebus phone books.