• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1000 comics in 2011 book club

1,225 posts in this topic

Finished Infinity Gauntlet yesterday. The mini started our pretty strong, but I felt it blundered along toward the end. Wrapped up a little too quickly, too. But if nothing else, it got me interested in reading Silver Surfer and Warlock books.

Yesterday:

Dipped into my Timely MMW and read both: Marvel Mystery Comics 17 and Captain America 9.

I enjoyed the Timelies much more than the PPSSM.

Did you enjoy Cap #9 ? I've been considering starting to collect GA caps for a while now... hm

Oh yes, once you've read an issue of the GA Cap Am, you can see why it's the most or second most collected Timely title. Now, granted, this is still a S&K issue. We'll have to revisit the issue once I go past issue # 10 but this was entertaining. The back-up non Cap stories are more meh but there is still that vitality of artists working in a young medium. Yes, even though strips had been going on for a loooong time by then, the new format / medium opened the door to so many more opportunities for artists that it's well worth the read despite the crappy scripts at times. Also, you can clearly see the connection in these scripts and the themes of the stories to the weird pulps. Well worth it all around.

MMC 17 was fun because for the 1st (?) time, the Human Torch and Subby joined forces to spoil a russian plot to drill a tunnel across the Bering Straits and attack Juneau, Alaska.

Last night read Vault of Horror #'s 7 and 8 in the Russ Cochran EC Library volume. Beautiful work, especially Graham Ingels "Dying to Lose Weight!" This is what comic books are all about: cool stories and great artwork.

Last night read Vault of Horror #'s 7 and 8 in the Russ Cochran EC Library volume. Beautiful work, especially Graham Ingels "Dying to Lose Weight!" This is what comic books are all about: cool stories and great artwork.

That's one of my favorite Vault stories! :applause:

108183.jpg.b46e4ab83cfde9a809cde8de3b06c6a4.jpg

That's one of my favorite Vault stories! :applause:

(worship)

Four today...

Ultimate Captain America #1 .. besides the fact I read this in under 5 minutes, I didn't like anything about it. This is not my Cap of tea.

Captain America Hail Hydra #1...This was a lot better, but still not A-class material. But Cap and Bucky (who was acting somewhat out of character) in a WW2 story with an occult background is always fun.

The Walking Dead #80 ... this title never disappoints and this issue was a real winner, finally the house of cards is beginning to tumble..oh and Abraham rocks !

Conan - Road of Kings #1 This was pretty good as well, still prefer the classic Marvel stories, as it was somewhat off to hear Conan crack jokes now and then, but like Scrooge said, it's good to see Roy Thomas writing this title again.

Finished up Sandman yesterday.

World's End was relatively boring (as I said before) and the ending was not very satisfying, while the next storyline, The Kindly Ones, was waaaaaay too long. But The Wake was an ideal finish to an amazing series. (worship)

This was only the second or third time I've read most Sandman issues since they came out. I'm making a vow to read them again every couple of years or so.

Today I read Bloom County vol. 3., but I won't count this one as a) I don't know how many issues to count it as and b) I read it more as "mind-cleaning" before starting my journey into the world of Marvel Mutants. :shy:

Currently at 41 books. Only 959 to go! :sumo:

Today, I read:

Fables # 100 - All 100 pages of it (counted as 2). Great twist right at the middle and Fables, i.e., Willingham, continues to be excellent at opening new storylines at every turn. Simply seamlessly enjoyable.

Tale Spin # 3 - 7 - light fun entertainment while watching the games.

Hellblazer Issues #146-#150, by Brian Azzarello & Richard Corben.

Brutal, uncompromising but ultimately disappointing five parter 'Hard Time'.

John Constantine goes to prison and sorts out the men from the boys.

It was a good read through all 5 issues but let down, for me, by a weak and slightly illogical ending.

Thor Vikings #1-#5: Garth Ennis & Glenn Fabry

Marvel should give Ennis a regular run on some of their major characters because he can certainly kick them into the 21st century. Brutal, again, and funny at the same time. It's like an alternate universe to the regular Marvel one, and all the better for it. After Thor gets his azz kicked by some demonic vikings he asks the Master of the Mystic Arts why he just stood by and watched, to which Stephen replies, while pouring a glass of red wine: "I'm Dr Strange not Dr Suicidal. Chin, Chin."

I really should go for some easy reading next - probably DC then :insane:

Hellblazer Issues #146-#150, by Brian Azzarello & Richard Corben.

Brutal, uncompromising but ultimately disappointing five parter 'Hard Time'.

John Constantine goes to prison and sorts out the men from the boys.

It was a good read through all 5 issues but let down, for me, by a weak and slightly illogical ending.

Thor Vikings #1-#5: Garth Ennis & Glenn Fabry

Marvel should give Ennis a regular run on some of their major characters because he can certainly kick them into the 21st century. Brutal, again, and funny at the same time. It's like an alternate universe to the regular Marvel one, and all the better for it. After Thor gets his azz kicked by some demonic vikings he asks the Master of the Mystic Arts why he just stood by and watched, to which Stephen replies, while pouring a glass of red wine: "I'm Dr Strange not Dr Suicidal. Chin, Chin."

I really should go for some easy reading next - probably DC then :insane:

Thor Vikings was a very entertaining if extremely gruesome read. Ennis certainly has a dry way even with established characters....

So far I have read Invincible 76, Walking Dead #80 and Fables #1.

Invincible is a great modern. I recommend it. Lately, it is a little too comicy with the silly plot twists but it is mostly a ton of fun. I may have to reread the whole series.

Walking Dead is awesome again. The series is picking back up.

Fables #1 was very good. This is my hope of bringing up my comic count for the year. I have some trades that I am going to plow into.