• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1000 comics in 2011 book club

1,225 posts in this topic

Conan: Road of Kings # 1 - Good nice. Nice to have Thomas work on Conan

Jonah Hex # 62 - Average

Northlanders # 35 - A -

Mystery Society # 5 - B -

DMZ # 60 - AB

Dragon Guard - Into the Veil # 3 - A

Echo # 21 - 25 - Continues the great streak

Doc Savage # 9 - D+ and only b/c of the second feature: The Avenger

Conan # 151 & 152 - C - Fleischer's scripts and plots were lackluster

Last night was FF 582, 583. I tought 582 was blah at best, but 583 was pretty good. I thought 583 was what an FF story should be! Now I just have to see how many more I get to finish the story as I stopped ordering them, I may have to hit the lcs for new books...

Crisis on Infinite Earths 1-12.

Just re-read the whole thing again and was pleasantly surprised at how well it holds up.

Yes there is some convoluted dialogue and unnecessary fight scenes but it is enjoyable and it still reads as if it is a real 'epic' and important.

Im gonna squeeze in Kingdom Come again, such a great story. I may check out the original crisis again as well.

Kingdom Come is great, I must read that again as well (thumbs u

Inspired by the discussion in this thread.

Who else is going to try to read 1000 comics in 2011?

<---- My focus.

Thanks for starting this thread/experiment - something to finally get me to focus on reading comics again. :applause:

Just started reading Star Wars Omnibus "A Long TIme Ago" #1. First few issues were the retelling of A New Hope. Counter not updated because I haven't blogged them yet (my own rules).

Funny to read some of the 70s books again, back when you had a strange third-person narrator giving you unnecessary information ("The planet exploded" um, yeah, I see that on the panel dude) and thinking he's entirely too funny.

Also funny, they speech bubbles that keep calling it "The Force." The quotation marks are theirs. Every time.

But the best is that the comic must have had access to the shooting version of the -script because they include the scene between Han and Jabba the Hutt. But this was before Hutts were giant slugs--in the comic Jabba is a yellow man with cat whiskers.

Hellblazer Issues 142-145.

#142 - two stories for the price of one, both poignant in their own way, about cruelty and love.

#143 - pretty rubbish, and methinks Mr Ellis was having a go at his audience with this story.

#144-145 - An OK story but I dislike issues where JC isn't central to the plot

Yesterday:

Dipped into my Timely MMW and read both: Marvel Mystery Comics 17 and Captain America 9. Each were 68 pages so I am counting these as 2 comics read each for a total of 4.

The balance read was Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man 32 - 37 and ASM King Size Annual 13 (Byrne art).

I enjoyed the Timelies much more than the PPSSM. I believe it comes down to the fact that PPSSM being an encillary series, nothing happens to Spidey's personal life and all we have is a series of unrelated and unconsequential struggles versus random past characters.