• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1000 comics in 2011 book club

1,225 posts in this topic

So glad I found this thread and board. I had the same idea after I got back into reading comics in December. Decided to make a project out of it to read 1000 books in 2011 and came up with many of the same rules you all did. I also started a blog about it, so now I'm going to have to figure out how to add the cool ticker.

Since I'm only counting my 2011 titles, so far I'm only up to 9 issues.

Wasteland trade 1 (issues 1-6)

Unwritten issues 13-15 (have up to 20, had already read first two trades)

Wasteland is good even if I think the art is a bit distracting, but I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic stories.

Love Unwritten. These latest titles have it heading a little more into Sandman territory, which is dangerous but can be incredible if done correctly.

Welcome to the boards!

Welcome to the boards! Seems you figured out the ticker OK :thumbsup:

Easier here than on the blog, but both seem to be working now. :)

I enjoy Unwritten more than I've ever enjoyed Sandman. Due to the hype, I have read Sandman from 1 to 75 but I have never understood the reason for all the rave personally. I must be flawed. Unwritten on the other hand I enjoy more even though I will admit that it's not on the same level as Sandman.

I read the entire run of Sandman shortly after it finished. There were definitely better arcs than others, but it was different, original, and done incredibly well. The level of storytelling stood out from the other titles at the time, at least the mainstream ones. It may not hold up as well over time since it forged a path that many others have been able to follow. But there was a lot more meat on those bones, I thought.

We'll see how Unwritten unfolds--lots of potential, that's for sure.

I stopped reading it after the first trade. I liked it, but I guess it sort of became forgettable since I never bothered continuing with the series. At the same time, though, I keep wondering if it's worth buying the rest of the trades. Would you recommend it?

Oh, and Welcome! Glad you made it.

Oh, so make me the guinea pig to find out if the others are worth it? :) Okay, I'm game. I'll pick up the next trade or two next run.

The first volume was a bit on the slow side, but I've heard it mentioned in some other conversations and saw it featured at Midtown Comics in NYC in their area for titles to get started on.

So far in 2011, I've read 6 comics:

TALES OF HORROR #2

TALES OF HORROR #3

TALES OF HORROR #12

All of the above were pre-code horror books from Toby Press, and had great artwork by Myron Fass.

WEIRD MYSTERIES #6

Great Bernard Bailey cover, 5 so-so stories(though the art was good).

HAUNT OF FEAR #24

HAUNT OF FEAR #25

Both were great from cover to cover, especially #25 with the classic "Indisposed!" by George Evans.

I stopped reading it after the first trade. I liked it, but I guess it sort of became forgettable since I never bothered continuing with the series. At the same time, though, I keep wondering if it's worth buying the rest of the trades. Would you recommend it?

Oh, and Welcome! Glad you made it.

Oh, so make me the guinea pig to find out if the others are worth it? :) Okay, I'm game. I'll pick up the next trade or two next run.

The first volume was a bit on the slow side, but I've heard it mentioned in some other conversations and saw it featured at Midtown Comics in NYC in their area for titles to get started on.

Sorry, as I wrote that, I totally forgot you only said you read the first volume. :tonofbricks:

Sorry, as I wrote that, I totally forgot you only said you read the first volume. :tonofbricks:

No worries. Probably not going to make it to 1000 by being too particular anyway. :)

I won't be getting to a 1000 regardless. My goal is to read 365. A book a day. That's more than enough for me with my schedule.

How the hell do you people have enough time to read so many comics?

Let's see... Seven hours a day at work, 6 hours sleeping, 3-4 hours for friends and/or girlfriend...

That's a total of, what, sixteen or seventeen hours?

Now, how much time does one need for other important things like eating, going to the bathroom, having a shower, watching football, surfing the net? Another 5-6 hours, maybe.

That still leaves you with at least an hour or two for comic books (shrug)

You're spoiling your girlfriend.

You know, I think you may be right about this one hm

OK, so far I've read:

- Sandman #51-59 (had read the first 50 in December). These are good, but not as good as I remembered them. This storyline "The Kindly Ones" is boring me a bit. A far cry from the previous one, "Brief Lives", which remains phenomenal after all these years.

- Fantastic Four Vs. The X-Men #1-4. Weird as it may sound, I'd never read these before. It's a bit... eh.

- Yours Truly Jack The Ripper #1-3. A pretty good mini series from IDW, with a sorta modernized take on the Ripper myth.

- Batman: Odyssey #1-3. Holy carp! This is unreadable!!!

- Amazing Spider-Man #646-649. This goes off my pull list. Immediately.

I''ll finish the "Sandman re-reading project" in the next couple of days and then I plan on starting something pretty big: reading every X-book published from Giant Size #1 till today (whenever "today" is). That should probably keep me occupied for the next 11 1/2 months :insane:

OK, so far I've read:

- Sandman #51-56 (had read the first 50 in December). These are good, but not as good as I remembered them. This storyline "The Kindly Ones" is boring me a bit. A far cry from the previous one, "Brief Lives", which remains phenomenal after all these years.

- Fantastic Four Vs. The X-Men #1-4. Weird as it may sound, I'd never read these before. It's a bit... eh.

- Yours Truly Jack The Ripper #1-3. A pretty good mini series from IDW, with a sorta modernized take on the Ripper myth.

I''ll finish the "Sandman re-reading project" in the next couple of days and then I plan on starting something pretty big: reading every X-book published from Giant Size #1 till today (whenever "today" is). That should probably keep me occupied for the next 11 1/2 months :insane:

I read ASM- 640-644 last night. I hope my next shipment sitting here doesnt have Spidey. The art is horrible, and the stories dont "grab" you.

OK, so far I've read:

- Sandman #51-56 (had read the first 50 in December). These are good, but not as good as I remembered them. This storyline "The Kindly Ones" is boring me a bit. A far cry from the previous one, "Brief Lives", which remains phenomenal after all these years.

I read ASM- 640-644 last night. I hope my next shipment sitting here doesnt have Spidey. The art is horrible, and the stories dont "grab" you.

If you think the art is horrible in these, you're in for quite a shock when Humberto Ramos arrives in #648 :sick: