• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Page Quality on CGC Books

288 posts in this topic

I guess I'm crazy cus I definitely won't. Say a fairly common SA books 12 month average is $250, I won't pay that for a ow, I expect to pay less or won't get it. If it's white, I'll pay it.

The 12 month average will already include C-OW and OW, so I would suggest that's exactly what you should pay for an OW. If you want a straight W, you should be expecting to pay more.

I believe page quality is a better reflection of preservation than the grade.

I put a lot of value into the page quality. As a Rule of Thumb, White pages usually go for a 10% or more premium, while CR/OW go for a discount.

You are correct that it has been debated. It is a matter of personal preference but

for me, I want WHITE pages.

Your white pages now were off-white to white pages yesterday and could very well be cream to off-white pages tomorrow.

Not true.

I'd like to see pics of the white pages book that resumed to a cow, much less the Many, MANY examples of this. Oh, and also the many, many cow that resubbed to whites (thumbs u

:popcorn:

Page quality changes all the time on resubs. It goes up. It goes down. Believe what you want, Cochise. It makes no difference to me. (thumbs u

AKA, you dont have any actual examples (thumbs u

yes, it goes up and down just like grades. Once in a blue moon, there is also a HUGE PQ difference on a resub the same way there is with grades like the legendary 4.0 that became a 9.0. That is not the norm like you make it out.

To say that a white pages could "VERY WELL" be a cow on a resub is NOT accurate. That implies it happens all the time. It doesn't.

If i'm wrong, post the numerous instances of whites becoming cows and vice versa. Short of that, you're wrong. Sorry (thumbs u

Fine, I'm wrong. I've never resubbed any books. Resub away. :whee:

Since you're the master of resubs and without question right, it should be pretty easy to post the pics of this everyday occurence of cows becoming white and whites becoming cows. I'm sure its happened to you dozens of times alone (thumbs u

Post away :whee:

You've been here, what? Less than two months?

And you seem to be taking on a lot of extremely knowledgeable people, with decades of experience behind them, and demanding that they provide you with 'proof'.

It's a shame that you want to adopt this approach, as you might otherwise be able to learn stuff. :(

I often see differences in page quality when resubbing. Back in 2008 I resubbed a book I bought off Ebay with OW/W and it came back C/OW. I resubbed it again in the same year and it came back with White pages (shrug)

Sorry, that doesn't count. Unless you can provide scans of all three page designations, it never happened. :insane:

I often see differences in page quality when resubbing. Back in 2008 I resubbed a book I bought off Ebay with OW/W and it came back C/OW. I resubbed it again in the same year and it came back with White pages (shrug)

Sorry, that doesn't count. Unless you can provide scans of all three page designations, it never happened. :insane:

Well, even if I showed scans of the 3 page designations, you could always say they must be different books (shrug)

And at least three daily newspapers of the date you received the book in the photograph (per book !)

This book was OW, then in less than 6 months, it became CR/OW.

creepy1sscr-ow.jpg

I got a peek at the page quality grading tool, it is posted below.. :insane:

DARTS.jpg

This book was OW, then in less than 6 months, it became CR/OW.

It must have been a blue moon. hm

I believe page quality is a better reflection of preservation than the grade.

I put a lot of value into the page quality. As a Rule of Thumb, White pages usually go for a 10% or more premium, while CR/OW go for a discount.

You are correct that it has been debated. It is a matter of personal preference but

for me, I want WHITE pages.

Your white pages now were off-white to white pages yesterday and could very well be cream to off-white pages tomorrow.

Not true.

I'd like to see pics of the white pages book that resumed to a cow, much less the Many, MANY examples of this. Oh, and also the many, many cow that resubbed to whites (thumbs u

:popcorn:

Who exactly are you quoting here? (shrug)

I guess my feeling is this, if you've been trying to buy books based on pq then basically you're fooling yourself, since it's a lot of guess work and is quite arbitrary. Both Haspel and Borock have both told me how ridiculous they think it is that people chase page quality.

In addition, if you're trying to get a book at a discount with ow/w pages instead of white, you're crazy. cr/ow v. white, that I buy. But on say, 50s DCs, cr/ow is the norm and perfectly acceptable.

From my submissions I have gotten the feeling that Hapsel does appreciate PQ.

I have called for notes and have been told that the interior browning was hammered

in the grade. CGC has tightened up on PQ and has taken PQ into account for the grade. I think this is a good thing !

I can only go by what he's told me directly on multiple occasions. Not that it's not factored in at all, but just that he feels way too much emphasis is put on it.

I think that the market during the early years at CGC was very different than it is today in regards to page quality and prices realized. There was relatively little emphasis placed on page quality by the buyers as a whole, let alone CGC graders. You did have your collectors that wanted and sought out white pages but I don't remember seeing the premiums and the price differences that we see today.

Their earliest slabs did not even have page quality designations on the labels unless it was an extreme example where it affected the grade. That's how CGC felt about page quality then. That's likely how they still feel about it. From what I remember, CGC page quality designations where only there to inform buyers if there was something extreme going on within the slab that could not be seem from the outside...or something along those lines.

Within a year they started notating page quality but again, I don't remember seeing a really big difference in prices based on page quality. It's only over the past couple of years that I remember seeing this "white page rage" where white page copies are fetching an extremely large premium over "inferior" copies.

I too will go on record as saying that resubs change in page quality like the wind. They are currently extremely strict on page quality in my opinion and have been all year with many of my white page designations dropping to off white to white on resub.

I've also seen c/ow go to off white to white and also seen white go to off white.

Even if CGC grading was consistent one must not forget that it is a point in time grading.

PQ can deteriorate following less than ideal storage post grading.

You can't assume that a white page book is and always will be a white page book if you buy it CGC'd.

Overstreet's 40th edition shows 10.0's and 9.9's can only have white pages, and only at the 9.8 level does this guide start to allow for OW/W. I realize CGC has its own unpublished standards. At what grade does CGC knock a book for PQ?

I believe one of the Wolverine 1 Limited Series 10.0's is OW/W, so that definitely doesn't match Overstreet.

They are currently extremely strict on page quality in my opinion and have been all year with many of my white page designations dropping to off white to white on resub.

I've heard there are two fluorescent ceiling lights that are burned out in the grading room....

They are currently extremely strict on page quality in my opinion and have been all year with many of my white page designations dropping to off white to white on resub.

I've heard there are two fluorescent ceiling lights burnt out in the grading room....

Could be. I heard they graded my books the night of the company Christmas party.

:insane:

Overstreet's 40th edition shows 10.0's and 9.9's can only have white pages, and only at the 9.8 level does this guide start to allow for OW/W. I realize CGC has its own unpublished standards. At what grade does CGC knock a book for PQ?

I believe one of the Wolverine 1 Limited Series 10.0's is OW/W, so that definitely doesn't match Overstreet.

As many people in the TMNT thread have pointed out, I have a 9.8 with OW pages. :makepoint: I'm not sure I've ever seen c/ow on a 9.8 yet.

I'm not sure I've ever seen c/ow on a 9.8 yet.

I'm sure there was a Hulk book posted quite a while ago that was 9.8 with C/OW pages or worse.