• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman Family Collecting Thread!
3 3

1,567 posts in this topic

Picked this up fora VERY good price in the Sunday HA Auction....GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

SUPERMAN100.jpg

That may have been the first cover ever trumpeting a milestone issue!

(thumbs u

That's a nice copy. I had a copy back in the 80s that was beater and I loved it. It was my oldest book for a long time.

Wow!! That's a beautiful copy, Jimbo. Did Heritage assign it a grade? Anyway, congrats on the purchase of one of my favorite comics. I own a copy that I bought raw and it came back a CGC 7.5 but with only Cream/OW pages. I would've preferred at least OW. Anyway, the colors on your copy really pop.

SLR

....I just got this in the mail today. It has white pages and the only problem is the obvious issue with the staple.....which is still attached. Heritage has really stepped up their grading lately.....never a disappointment. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Here's what you've been missing but at least it gives you a collecting focus for a while.

LoisLane22.jpg

Have you noticed how Lana Lang wasn't drawn as attractively prior to early 1961 or so?

???

You know, DC seemed to have a hard time nailing down Lana's look in the early days, check out these:

1st Lana cover, doesn't look ANYTHING like her:

sb11.jpg

2nd cover appearance on Superboy (I think there was an Adventure in between)

sb21.jpg

then...the very next issue:

sb22.jpg

she settles into this look more or less.

One of my favorite Lana covers is when she made her adult debut in Lois Lane:

ll7.jpg

Here's the frist Superman Comic I ever bought at a used book store near my home. My mom was a voracious reader and used to walk into Bart's books almost once a week. Now all I knew about Superman was from the TV program starring George Reeves. At the end credits a voiceover would intone: Based on the feature appearing in Action Comics and Superman Magazine. My parents subscribed to two magazines: Time and The New Republic (for those liberals out there) so I naturally concluded in my six-year old brain that Superman was acutally a magazine and not a Little Dot or Baby Huey comic book. Anyway, there was a box of comics and I saw on the top pile this issue of "Superman Magazine." "Hey mom, can I buy this?" How much she asked the owner. "Five cents per comic.," he replied. Anyway I didn't know anything about imaginary stories and I was afraid to read it. And who was Lex Luthor anyway? My dad kept the book in a shoebox for me and I have it to this day and here it is: Superman149BartsBooks.jpg

Edited by Stevenrams

Here's the frist Superman Comic I ever bought at a used book store near my home. My mom was a voracious reader and used to walk into Bart's books almost once a week. Now all I knew about Superman was from the TV program starring George Reeves. At the end credits a voiceover would intone: Based on the feature appearing in Action Comics and Superman Magazine. My parents subscribed to two magazines: Time and The New Republic (for those liberals out there) so I naturally concluded in my six-year old brain that Superman was acutally a magazine and not a Little Dot or Baby Huey comic book. Anyway, there was a box of comics and I saw on the top pile this issue of "Superman Magazine." "Hey mom, can I buy this?" How much she asked the owner. "Five cents per comic.," he replied. Anyway I didn't know anything about imaginary stories and I was afraid to read it. And who was Lex Luthor anyway? My dad kept the book in a shoebox for me and I have it to this day and here it is: Superman149BartsBooks.jpg

:applause:

You know, DC seemed to have a hard time nailing down Lana's look in the early days, check out these:

1st Lana cover, doesn't look ANYTHING like her:

sb11.jpg

2nd cover appearance on Superboy (I think there was an Adventure in between)

sb21.jpg

then...the very next issue:

sb22.jpg

she settles into this look more or less.

One of my favorite Lana covers is when she made her adult debut in Lois Lane:

ll7.jpg

Fabulous books (worship)

Edited by Bluetooth

That #7 is also my favorite. She looks much more attratctive than Lois IMHO.

Lois' frumpy hair style killed her looks. Mort Weisinger had plans to remake Lois' hairstyle in late 1961 but the readers somehow voted to keep the old one.

(shrug)