• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman Family Collecting Thread!
3 3

1,567 posts in this topic

When it comes down to color appeal and a fancy villain Mortimer pretty much nailed it with this one. Another great city background, too.

I bought this copy from my old pal Arthur Goldman, who kindly provided me with some beautiful DCs from this exotic and wistful era!

DetectiveComics184-1.jpg

Edited by steelcity

Upgrade time!

supes147.jpg

Wow, it only seems like a few weeks I was admiring your Twin City copy, and now this beauty. When I see this issue I always think of the Luthor scene where Lex is atmospherically blacked out by the deep shadows from the bars of his cell.

ActionComics206.jpg

Speaking of Lois marrying Superman. This is my all-time favorite cover on that particular motif and it took me over 20 years to find. Just won it on e-bay for just 30 bucks over OSPG. When you consider, I didn't have to pay for slabbing I did quite well. And it's a damn nice CGC 4.5 with O/W pages.

This early Mortimer cover nicely matches the Action #206 with Lois enjoying an earlier flight in arms!

AdventureComics128.jpg

Love the Adventure 128. One great cover!

agreed!

There have been some awesome books posted here recently. :cloud9: Thanks go out to StevenRams, SteelCity, Silver, NearMint and others. :headbang:

I really can't play much in the "pre-code" area, I have a couple though. Here are two favorites from my collection that I haven't posted in this thread before. Both are white paged beauties from an OO collection. This pair were on the stands at the same time:

adv189.jpg

sb26.jpg

I really can't play much in the "pre-code" area, I have a couple though. Here are two favorites from my collection that I haven't posted in this thread before. Both are white paged beauties from an OO collection. This pair were on the stands at the same time:

adv189.jpg

sb26.jpg

The Winter sky on Adventure #189 really enhances the whole scene.

Your Superboy #26 is a beautiful copy, Silver. A very tough book indeed!

You know Ian, when I bought that 189 (which is my earliest Adventure at the time) I did it out of impulse because I like the cover and thought it had a unique color scheme as well. Little did I know it would light a desire to maybe collect all of the Superboy Adventures.

My only other pre-code Adventure:

adv192.jpg

DetectiveComics209-1.jpg

Late pre-code Detective Comics from July 1954. I upgraded this book last summer at SDCC. But my undercopy is not too bad probably a 5.5 or 5.0. I bought that at an LCS. As soon as I get it graded by CGC, I will put it up for sale. Anyway, love the greens on this issue. I believe CGC will knock down the grade due to the stain, but at least the stain blends in with the gray background.

You know Ian, when I bought that 189 (which is my earliest Adventure at the time) I did it out of impulse because I like the cover and thought it had a unique color scheme as well. Little did I know it would light a desire to maybe collect all of the Superboy Adventures.

My only other pre-code Adventure:

adv192.jpg

Ironic, really, that the only two pre-code Adventures you have are such tough books!