• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman Family Collecting Thread!
3 3

1,567 posts in this topic

A death in the family is everone's worst fear. This iconic cover painfully depicts Batman's grief and sense of loss:

Bat156.jpg

One of my favorite Silver Age Batman covers. In fact, I just bought a CGC 9.2 copy. When it arrives, I'll post it!

Being rejected by your own family is hard to accept. Here we see poor Robin, from his typically anguished corner stance, watching on as his place in the Dynamic Duo is threatened:

Det237.jpg

Here's another cover (not mine) where Robin has "replacement" issues:

BATMAN122FRT.jpg

Somehow Robin saw Batwoman not as a super hot stepmom but as the proverbial evil stepmother.

(shrug)

Edited by Hepcat

When trauling through Adventure Comics boxes at shows in the early 1990s I was always on the lookout for a nice #234. This bright and breezy cover has the great nice town feel that helps makes 1950s Superboy so appealing.

AdventureComics234.jpg

All beautiful books, Ian. I must look for some of these at SDCC this summer. BTW, will you be attending? It would be cool to meet you. Dan and I hang out to together as well.

SLR

Wish I could be but I don't expect to make it to SDCC this summer.

However, let's hope we can all meet up at some stage. I rarely get to talk comic books with anyone so it would be a real treat for me.

Ian, Have you ever figured out how many Adventures you have exactly between 103 and 300?

Once I was complete from #103 through #381 but many issues were very low grade so it was not so grand as it may sound. In an attempt to sttreamline my collection and create funds I only kept books in fine or nicer, selling the rest. So a lot of Adventures (especially in the #100s) went. Now, I am pretty much complete from #200 up but I can't be totally sure as I have lots of books in storage and my lists have been wrong before. From #103 to #199 I have significant gaps. It's a big run to put together... and very tough if grade is important!

Ian, Nice #100!

What is the grade on that book?

You have a fantastic collection of DCs.

Thanks, Clayton. The Superman #100 was the nicest they had ever seen at Metropolis. It was very expensive and I faltered but Steve said I would not regret buying it in the long run. Well, I don't know how long through this run I am...

Regarding the grade it was a 37 or 38 on the Metropolis scale which is in the 9.2/9.4 range by today's conversion. Very nice page quality, too. The main problem I had at the time was that by buying the #100 it therefore meant I had to pass on other books I wanted. A situation we've all faced.

WorldsFinest86.jpg

This copy has bone white pages! 1957 is a tough year to find decent-looking copies and PQ.

It certainly looks bright and fresh. And what a strangely exotic red grease pencil "S" that actually adds to the cover's appeal!

This book would have been on the stands at the same time:

Superboy54.jpg

In an unusual twist of the Superman family theme, a nice tale unfolds across Action Comics #332 and #333. In it an adult Superwoman mentors an inexperienced Superboy. As a child I loved that story.

As sometimes happened with DC books of the day, the cover to #332 varies across the print run, from a blue to purple. There are lots of similar examples.

Here is the blue tone:

ActionComics332.jpg

And the purple tone:

ActionComics332a.jpg

#333 that concludes the story:

ActionComics333a.jpg

Edited by steelcity

Was any member of the Superman family treated even half as shabbily as poor Mon-El? Casually named after a day of the week, Clark then proceeds to take a very suspicious view of his "brother." Yet even after a thousand years in the Phantom Zone to think it over Mon-El forgives Superboy in the distant 30th century.

Here, enough is enough after Bob catches Clark pulling lead poisoning faces behind his back but even then Superboy turns the blame around...

scans2030a.jpg

Edited by steelcity

some killer books Ian!

As shappy as Mon-El was treated...how lucky was Bounicng Boy to marry a girl that could split into two?

One of my favorite Legion stories of all time:

adv340.jpg

adv341.jpg

I do think that, in general, purple is more likely to experience color variation more than any other color I can think of. Even so, that's a fairly wide variation in blue/purple background color for DCs in that time period.

Both copies look quite attractive! :applause: