• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

I'm in the middle of four books:

- "The Way of Zen" by Alan Watts (reading it for a fifth or sixth time for the benefit of my girlfriend who is also reading it. I read it 4-5 times between the ages of 17 and 23 but haven't read it in over 15 years.)

- "The Hobbit" by Tolkien

- "Catcher in the Rye" by Salinger

- "Freedom" by Jonathan Franzen

zen11.jpg1655553_101112170838_0618002219.jpgbook_covers%2F655_t200.jpgfreedom-novel-hardcover-cover-art.jpg

Tarzan: King of Apes

Edgar Rice Burroughs

The Fall

Del Toro and Chuck Hogan

Want to read some stuff by this guy Sigler- his books sound good.

I have a hug want to read list but money and time are at a premium right now.

I just finished The King of Plagues by Jonathan (Marvel Zombies, Doomwar, Ghost Road Blues) Maberry. This is the 3rd Joe Ledger novel and along with the Repairman Jack series by F. Paul Wilson I can't give anything a higher recommendation. It's so incredibly entertaining you can't put it down. Literary Crack of the highest order. Book 4 just came out my copy arrived from Amazon yesterday :banana:

I guarantee you will love these books. Maberry has quickly become one of my favorite authors and so sure am I that if you buy any of the Joe Ledger novels and dislike it I will buy the book from you.

Best to start with Book 1 though:

Patient Zero: Joe Ledger Book 1

When you have to kill the same terrorist twice in one week there's either something wrong with your world or something wrong with your skills... and there's nothing wrong with Joe Ledger's skills.

A kick ride from start to finish. If any of my peeps want to read it PM me - you can have my copy. First come first serve.

Dipping in and out of "Satan is Real: The Ballad of the Louvin Brothers" (by Charlie Louvin with Benjamin Whitmer, 2012), a book about these guys who I've heard about but didn't realize their impact in country music and beyond. I'm not a big fan of country music (don't have any disdain toward it either really) but this book is utterly fascinating. Page-turner is a cliche, but it's been my experience thus far.

Ira Louvin died back in the '60s but his brother Charlie just recently died, not long after this book was just recently published in fact. Foreword by Kris Kristofferson and here's a few blurbs for some flavor: "The Burritos' favorite artists"--Gram Parsons; "Charlie...was a true punk, in the best sense of the word."--Lucinda Williams; "There was something scary and washed in the blood about the sound of the Louvin Brothers."--Emmylou Harris.

I guess the back cover book summary sold me on it as I was perusing a bookshelf in a Books-A-Million in Anderson, SC: "The beautiful and tragic saga of the Louvin Brothers--one of the most legendary country duos of all time--is one of America's great untold stories. Charlie Louvin was a good, god-fearing, churchgoing singer, but his brother Ira had the devil in him, and was known for smashing his mandolin to splinters onstage, cussing out Elvis Presley, and trying to strangle his third wife with a telephone cord. 'Satan is Real' is the incredible tale of Charlie Louvin's sixty-five year career, the timeless murder ballads of the Louvin Brothers, and an epic tale of two brothers bound together by love, hate, alcohol, blood, and music."

Whoa.

This book just got bumped up in my next-to-read list. Sounds interesting, thanks!

The Louvin Brothers were an amazing duo. The song that best blends their skills for singing both gospel and dark ballads is their version of Wreck on the Highway

Charlie Chan:The Untold Story of the Honorable Detective and his Rendesvous with American History (Stoker award winner for best biographical/critical work) - Yunte Haung

Nifft the Lean - Michael Shea (World Fantasy Award winner for best novel)

Edited by NightGallery1

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking for something end-of-world/apocalyptic...disease, aliens, gods, nature, zombies, etc. I've read most of the mainstream stuff (King, McCarthy,etc.) so I am looking for something off the beaten path. The darker and grittier the better. Thx.

The first two were dark and disturbing, the last two were weird and thought provoking. All were good reads.

the-infection-craig-dilouie-book-200x300.jpgdeeper-novel-jeff-long-hardcover-cover-art.jpgamped-198x300.jpg9780857204691-crop-325x325.jpg

Thanks Davenport! I've read The Infection and enjoyed it, but I'll put the others on my list.

Thanks Davenport! I've read The Infection and enjoyed it, but I'll put the others on my list.

(thumbs u

Here's three I haven't read, but the reviews look decent:

"The Newsflesh trilogy" by Mira Grant. "Feed", "Deadline" & "Blackout".

51q-6Swz2kL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpgtnt.gif

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking for something end-of-world/apocalyptic...disease, aliens, gods, nature, zombies, etc. I've read most of the mainstream stuff (King, McCarthy,etc.) so I am looking for something off the beaten path. The darker and grittier the better. Thx.

The first two were dark and disturbing, the last two were weird and thought provoking. All were good reads.

the-infection-craig-dilouie-book-200x300.jpgdeeper-novel-jeff-long-hardcover-cover-art.jpgamped-198x300.jpg9780857204691-crop-325x325.jpg

:news: "Deeper" is the Sequel to "The Descent" so you must read that first :preach:

I just started "Earth Abides" by George Stewart a few days ago. I've always wanted to read this one since i've heard it was a sci-fi classic. It's pretty good so far. Anyone else read this one yet?

So far it's reminding me of "Swan Song" by Robert McCammon. If anyone's read Earth Abides and liked it, i highly suggest you read Swan Song. It's better than The Stand. (Yes, i just went there.)

I just started "Earth Abides" by George Stewart a few days ago. I've always wanted to read this one since i've heard it was a sci-fi classic. It's pretty good so far. Anyone else read this one yet?

So far it's reminding me of "Swan Song" by Robert McCammon. If anyone's read Earth Abides and liked it, i highly suggest you read Swan Song. It's better than The Stand. (Yes, i just went there.)

I love McCammon! "Swan Song" was pretty awesome but I can't say it's better than "The Stand", which is one of my faves of all time. "A Boy's Life" is my favorite McCammon book by far. Just awesome. His ode to Poe with his "Usher" book was amazing as well. Hel, just about everything I've read from him has been great.

I'm in a guys' book group called Books & Brews.

This month we're reading Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy.

The last few months have been: Confederacy of Dunces, Less Than Zero, The Coldest Night, and The Crying Lot of 49.

Books. Drinking. General mayhem...