• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

A pretty good book, back in the day.

Written between 1382 and 1386. This translation was first published in 1971.

I'm just getting around to it now. Mind you, I was only born in 1956, so I do have a reason for missing it when it was on the best-seller lists.

troilusandcriseyde.jpg

A pretty good book, back in the day.

Written between 1382 and 1386. This translation was first published in 1971.

I'm just getting around to it now. Mind you, I was only born in 1956, so I do have a reason for missing it when it was on the best-seller lists.

troilusandcriseyde.jpg

A great read. Chaucer had a way with words

"He had supposed that nothing had the might to steer his heart against a will as free as his; yet, at a look, immediately, he was on fire, and he, in pride above all others, suddenly was slave to love." Book I, Stanza 33

Currently reading Under the Dome by Stephen King. Not bad. Not wonderful. About halfway through.

Just re-read the first three John Carter books. They held up nicely.

Best non-genre fiction I've read this month though is Norwegian Wood by Huraki Murakami.

But the book you have to read if you're around the 40-50 age group is READY PLAYER ONE. Wonderful sci fi with a ridiculous amount of eighties pop culture references.

Wool Omnibus Edition - Reading on my iPad. Pretty interesting story and cheap at only $5.99.

Ghost in the Wires: My Adventures as the World's Most Wanted Hacker - I have read many books about Kevin Mitnick but he co-wrote this one and it is very interesting.

Andy

"Open" - Andre Aggasi

Great book! :applause:

Read this also. Loved it.

Yes, it's fantastic. If you read the credits, he got a Pulitzer Prize winner to ghost write it, which explains a lot.

I knew he had help, but a pulitzer-prize winner is surprising. It was fascinating to learn (as someone who plays tennis three times a week) how much both he and his wife hate tennis. I'll play until my body breaks down. Then again I didn't have a tyrannical father pushing me into it like they both had...

I don't know about Gene but I just pre-ordered that sucker on ibooks. Thanks.

Another great read - not forgery, but nefarious enough - is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Chasing-Aphrodite-Looted-Antiquities-Richest/dp/0151015015/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1341610836&sr=1-1&keywords=chasing+aphrodite

Cool thanks.

"Open" - Andre Aggasi

That is a great book.

For the first time in thirty years I'm reading the Great Brain young adult books by John D. Fitzgerald. Really charming 1890s small town Utah stuff. Great characterizations and a really nice sense of family.

Is this book on your radar?

Caveat Emptor

It is now. (thumbs u

I'm currently reading "Art Cop: Robert Volpe, Art Crime Detective", a non-fiction account from 1974 about a detective focusing on solving art-related crimes for the NYPD back in the '70s.

I'm also reading "Kirby: King of Comics" by Mark Evanier.

Is this book on your radar?

Caveat Emptor

It is now. (thumbs u

I read this month's Smithsonian last night & there was a short review of it. I immediately thought of your Art History & Appreciation reading program, of your interest in the art business, & of your WC comments on forgeries or effortless copies of Old Masters by talented unknowns in remote locales the world over.

"Open" - Andre Aggasi

Do you think this is a book that would appeal to a person who is not really a tennis fan? I do like good books about interesting people and Agassi certainly has led an interesting life.

"Open" - Andre Aggasi

Do you think this is a book that would appeal to a person who is not really a tennis fan? I do like good books about interesting people and Agassi certainly has led an interesting life.

Yes. While understandably tennis heavy, it is a well written and entertaining (and blunt) look at his very interesting life. For tennis fans, it is pure candy and an absolute must read.

I recently finished "Unbroken" about Olympic athlete and WW2 POW, Louis Zamperini. I was stunned and humbled by this riveting account of his life (most notably his war experience).

Edited by Mr. Lodge