• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

Now that I'm traveling a bit for work again, I've been able to catch up on some reading and have something to contribute to this thread:

Recently finished:

1- Scott Turow's Ordinary Heroes - I've read most of Turow's stuff- this one, as a WWII narrative, is a bit of a departure from his normal lawyer fiction. It has a split-first-person narration, as one of Turow's recurring minor characters finds his dad's WWII memoirs sealed away after the father's death. Really enjoyed this one, the only flaw being I didn't buy the father's 1st person narration being literally the transcript of an essay he wrote to his own lawyer. Turow has a WWII judge advocate recounting the intimate details of his wartime love affair in order to assist in his court martial defense? :screwy:

2- Willam Gibson's Spook Country - While I like the conceit that "the future has now caught up with Gibson, and is stranger than the cyberpunk founder could have imagined," I do find the willing-suspension-of-disbelief harder to hang on to when we're talking about a story taking place in the supposedly here & now as opposed to the indefinite future several years from now. Whereas his SF seemed much more grounded in reality than most works in that genre, his political/suspense/thrillers seem comparatively hard-to-swallow. Still, well worth a read, as long as you're expecting more of a James Bond rather than a Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy experience.

And-- for something completely different-- I'm currently half way through The Looming Tower: Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11. :(

Finished this Big John Buscema.

It's a well produced work but owes much of the biographical material to two issues of Alter Ego that I was lucky enough to pick-up here on the Boards this year.

Hey Tup is this the US version of this Spanish tribute by any chance? Seems like it might be, 300 plus pages and all.

JBspanish.jpg

JBSpanishBC.jpg

I don't know what that is. It looks nice & has the same title, though.

My book is the one in the link & it was in both languages.

Currently reading: The Crowded Universe by Alan Boss

Just finished:

My Life in Comics by Joe Simon

and

The Edge of Physics by Anil Ananhaswamy

On deck: Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs

Five Families-The Rise, Decline, and Resurgence of America's Most Powerful Mafia Empires by Selwyn Radd

Covers The Cosa Nostra from its proto-organized state, through Lucciano's creation of The Commision and into the current regimes.

Good book

I'd like to check this one out! hm

I might have to buy this. Is it balanced, or just an anti contemporary art hatchet job? I'm pretty anti myself, but would like to hear both sides of the argument on this

He's writing an expose, right? The satirical title tells us that.

100 pages of the 250 pages in & the author is doing a pretty good job explaining how the market works: schools, artists, dealers, primary markets, secondary markets, galleries, museums, collectors, auction houses.

Tastemakes & winetasters & BSD's.

But a hatchet job of the modern, contemporary, postwar art world?

I don't think so. He praises Rothko, for example. But he doesn't fail to deliver on the lunacy of it all. He hits Hirst, obviously, & many of the other Young British Artists, for example.

Finished Road into the Open. It had been on my amazon to-buy list for about 4 years. I finally bought it. It was excellent.

what is this about?. Zero info on the amazon link.

It's a classic of central European Decadence.

Like the Shark book, this one is a critical look at the psychology of bourgeois elites.

On its surface, it’s concerned with the pervasive anti-Semitism & the perceived hallucinatory insanity of Zionism in the art & society circles of turn of the century Vienna.

Below the surface & shot throughout is the novel’s true concern which is the interior reality of the protagonist’s detached mind as he stumbles through his music career, lost in meaningless fin de siècle hedonism.

I might have to buy this. Is it balanced, or just an anti contemporary art hatchet job? I'm pretty anti myself, but would like to hear both sides of the argument on this

I've read the book twice. It is not a hatchet job on contemporary art by any means. It rather seeks to demystify how the art market works, everything from the good, the bad and the ugly. I also just re-read "I Sold Andy Warhol (Too Soon)" by Richard Polsky, which is another great read into the world of contemporary art dealing.

Why are you "anti" contemporary art, anyway? I think there's a lot of great art that's been produced in our lifetimes. (shrug)