• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

Just finished Book 3 of The Strain Trilogy by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan. Another freakin' awesome Trilogy - that's three this year. Read "Assassin's Code" by Jonathan Maberry last week and it was amazing. Next up: Th dark at the End" by F. Paul Wilson - the 15th and final ( :sorry: ) Repairman Jack Novel.

You never give me your money - the battle for the soul of The Beatles by Peter Doggett.

Basically the story of the break up of The Beatles and the legal and financial wranglings that dragged on for years.

It's very readable, but quite dark and bleak stuff all the same.

Do audio books count? :blush:

I actually just finished my very first one. Since I moved my commute to work is much longer, so a co-worker gave me an audio book to try out. Good way to pass the time actually. Took a bit to get used to it, but I think I'll do another one.

Just finished a book of love stories that explores in places a suite of non-verbal ways lovers communicate with each other over great distance: scent, pheromones, dreams, fantasies, & ghostly impressions.

Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingslover

About a 1/3 of the way through this attractive book.

Big John Buscema

I just read Sh*t my Dad Says last weekend, and laughed so hard..........,

I had picked the book up at the house of my son's dog-sitting/house-sitting job, and it was bookmarked 1/2 way through the Turkey Soup story, and I swear, I figured the person reading it must have stalled out half way through that story, as I could barely finish that story, because I was laughing so hysterically......,

I bought the guys next book, I Suck at Girls, and am now about to start that.

Just finished "Red: My Uncensored Life in Rock" by Sammy Hagar. It was a fun, quick read, but short on big revelations. I guess the most interesting fact is that virtually all of his fortune comes from the tequila label he started in conjunction with his Cabo Wabo Cantinas. I'd probably give it a pass unless you're a die-hard VH or Sammy fan.

I also finished "Kirby: King of Comics" and have started on "Big John Buscema: Comics & Drawings".

Finished this Big John Buscema.

It's a well produced work but owes much of the biographical material to two issues of Alter Ego that I was lucky enough to pick-up here on the Boards this year.

Finished Road into the Open. It had been on my amazon to-buy list for about 4 years. I finally bought it. It was excellent.

Five Families-The Rise, Decline, and Resurgence of America's Most Powerful Mafia Empires by Selwyn Radd

Covers The Cosa Nostra from its proto-organized state, through Lucciano's creation of The Commision and into the current regimes.

Good book

I have been on a horror kick lately, so reading The Other by Thomas Tryon. I enjoyed Harvest Home and this one is similar. Not shocking, but has a good vintage horror feel, almost relaxing. Reminds me of Bradbury. Also making my way through House of Leaves, which is really something different. Not sure how to describe it, but it's deeply unsettling and like no other book I have ever read. Two simultaneous stories, one a meta-story told through extensive footnotes. People will just have to check it out for themselves, though it's certainly not for everyone (I think you would like it, Shrunk).

Hey...I just finished Harvest Home!

You're right -- good, vintage horror. Tryon lets the horror slowly build, something that's alot harder to do than it looks.

You should check out The Tenant by Roland Topor.

I'm starting The Other pretty soon.

Taking a break, though, and reading about old Marx toys right now.

Edited by MisterX

I finally finished reading "Gone With the Wind". It's always been on my "Read before I pass on" list, but when I saw PBS's American Masters profile of Margaret Mitchell, I took the old copy off my bookshelf, the one my mom gave me back in the 1970s. and started reading it. Would have finished sooner had Comic-Con not gotten in the way.

Just borrowed James Joyce's "Ulysses" from the local library and just started it today. I think I'll join the library's book club devoted to that book. Not an easy read but an enriching one. Anyway I graduated with a BA with Honors in English way back in 1981 so I think I can manage it--with the assitance of other lovers of great literature. And then next Spring I'm going to the UK on a Tauck Tour. Always wanted to see Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and England. Can't wait.

Great Thread! I love to see what others read.

SLR

Just finished, Life by Keith Richards, bloody brilliant! 'Keef' is the man!

Half way through Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. Post 9/11 allegorical novel. Funny and touching in parts but incredibly self indulgent in others. OCD will make me finish it, but disappointing overall.

Just finished, Life by Keith Richards, bloody brilliant! 'Keef' is the man!

I must know 25 folks who have enjoyed this book.

If Richards can't deliver an entertaining biography, then we're all doomed.