• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

The Crying Lot of 49.

Great, great Pynchon near-novella study of paranoia. It's rare to find someone who has read this. Good work brew club.

(worship)

I'm in a guys' book group called Books & Brews.

This month we're reading Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy.

The last few months have been: Confederacy of Dunces, Less Than Zero, The Coldest Night, and The Crying Lot of 49.

Books. Drinking. General mayhem...

That "Confederacy of Dunces" book is something else. And there's a humorous allusion to it in that great movie "Sideways." :cloud9:

I just started "Earth Abides" by George Stewart a few days ago. I've always wanted to read this one since i've heard it was a sci-fi classic. It's pretty good so far. Anyone else read this one yet?

So far it's reminding me of "Swan Song" by Robert McCammon. If anyone's read Earth Abides and liked it, i highly suggest you read Swan Song. It's better than The Stand. (Yes, i just went there.)

I love McCammon! "Swan Song" was pretty awesome but I can't say it's better than "The Stand", which is one of my faves of all time. "A Boy's Life" is my favorite McCammon book by far. Just awesome. His ode to Poe with his "Usher" book was amazing as well. Hel, just about everything I've read from him has been great.

I loved boys life as well. Great book. Did you happen to read Speaks the Night Bird. Another long, epic book. There are two sequels to it too. Queen of Bedlam and Mr. Slaughter.

The weekend was lost for reading with a whirlwind trip in & out of Miami & then a house full of guests yesterday.

So, tonight I'll get back to it with the first pages of The Master & Margarita.

The weekend was lost for reading with a whirlwind trip in & out of Miami & then a house full of guests yesterday.

Great book. :applause:

This book is in my top 10. Unfortunately I am afraid that it will not be the same to read it translated in English. Also there are a lot of "inside jokes" that only somebody which has lived in Eastern Europe could understand (shrug)

Anyway great book and congratulations for the choise!

This book is in my top 10. Unfortunately I am afraid that it will not be the same to read it translated in English. Also there are a lot of "inside jokes" that only somebody which has lived in Eastern Europe could understand (shrug)

Although I read it in English and still thought it was a great book? :baiting:

Blood Meridian was crazy good.

McCarthy's best, and that's saying something. (thumbs u

Yeah, that one blew my hair back.

I have been on a horror kick lately, so reading The Other by Thomas Tryon. I enjoyed Harvest Home and this one is similar. Not shocking, but has a good vintage horror feel, almost relaxing. Reminds me of Bradbury. Also making my way through House of Leaves, which is really something different. Not sure how to describe it, but it's deeply unsettling and like no other book I have ever read. Two simultaneous stories, one a meta-story told through extensive footnotes. People will just have to check it out for themselves, though it's certainly not for everyone (I think you would like it, Shrunk).

Melmoth the Wanderer by Charles Maturin.

Hella difficult to get used to how the story is written (gobs of mulit-character quotes in one sentence, run-on paragraphs), but once you get past that, it's a really interesting book.

Although I read it in English and still thought it was a great book? :baiting:

(thumbs u