• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

I'm halfway done reading Batman: The Long Halloween. It was suggested to me by my husband because I enjoyed Batman Hush. I'm also working on Buffy Season 8 and Fray.

You may want to re read the thread title.

Finishing up:

The Dark Tower book 7: The Dark Tower

After that I'll be reading:

Dream Team: How Michael, Magic, Larry, Charles, and the Greatest Team of All Time Conquered the World and Changed the Game of Basketball Forever by Jack McCallum

Since my wife & I separated in July & I've moved into my own apartment, I've got PLENTY of time to read now without any of the distractions that used to slow my reading rate down to a crawl. And, I've been putting it to good use.

I love John Connolly's Charlie Parker series of thrillers, but although I'd kept current on buying the novels, I was actually about three books behind on my reading. So, I spent the first couple of weeks catching up on those. Then, I read a horror novel called BLOODMAN from a debuting author & it was alright. Nothing spectacular, but not a waste of time either.

Now, I'm closing in on the end of THE BREACH. It's the first book in a series a novels by Patrick Lee that I suppose you'd call "techno-thrillers". A genre which previously, I'd never had any interest in whatsoever ( I'm a horror & hard boiled fiction reader predominantly ), the when I'd picked this one up at a used bookstore a while back it's premise on the back cover just reached out & grabbed me, so I got it & it's follow up. And now, since I've blazed through this first one pretty much non-stop ( until getting online that is ), I know that I've got to get that third book in the series ASAP. 'Cause, it's gripping, FAST paced stuff.

I'm halfway done reading Batman: The Long Halloween. It was suggested to me by my husband because I enjoyed Batman Hush. I'm also working on Buffy Season 8 and Fray.

You may want to re read the thread title.

I'm also reading a series by Kristin Cashore, the book is called Fire.

I simply forgot to include it in my post.

I'm new around here, can I get a break?

reading speaker for the dead (2nd Ender book) by Card.

That's my favorite OSC book.

Would you recommend reading them in release order or chronological order?

Yes. I loved Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow.

Currently I'm reading The Bourne Dominion.

so which is it, release order or chronological order?

Just finished reading "Silver Wine Art Gold (SWAG): Alternative Investments for the Coming Decade" by Joe Roseman.

Definitely a mixed bag - I think he does a good job of explaining how we got into the current debt mess and why it's so precarious for the future, but then he goes off on Malthusian resource shortages and how great the future looks like for the BRIC economies (both of which look rather silly nowadays in light of the global slowdown and the fact that commodities haven't reached new highs in more than 4 years). He clearly is no expert on either wine or art, which leads to glossing over a lot of problems and not getting very granular with his recommendations. Worst of all, at no point does he talk about value or valuations of these alternative assets, and the potential that they might already be discounting his macro scenario, thus making them potentially overpriced.

Worth reading if you take it with a hefty grain of salt.

I was recently reading Clash of Kings but for some reason it just didn't suck me in like Game of Thrones did.

I found the recent James Bond book Carte Blanche bargain priced at Barnes and Noble over the weekend. I love the Fleming books and am interested to see what it is like. It got hammered on the Amazon reviews, but people never like new stuff.

reading speaker for the dead (2nd Ender book) by Card.

That's my favorite OSC book.

Would you recommend reading them in release order or chronological order?

Yes. I loved Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow.

Currently I'm reading The Bourne Dominion.

so which is it, release order or chronological order?

So are you Chinese or Japanese?

Just finished the 4th of "The Black Sun's Daughter" series. Did I just get lucky or is most 'urban fantasy' this good?

Few recent books have left me this hungry for more.

HANOVER_1.jpg

I'm half-way through Leviathan Wakes (nominated for the 2012 Hugo Award for Best Novel) and it's sooo damn good. :ohnoez:

What's weird is 'James S.A. Corey' and that 'Black Sun's Daughter' series, 'M.L.N. Hanover', are both pen names for a Daniel Abraham, who apparently does some George R. R. Martin type medieval fantasy.

Whoever this guy is, he just moved to the top of the list. The only other recent author who blew me away at this level is Rothfuss ('Name of the Wind', 'The Wise Man's Fear'), an extremely rare occurrence. :cloud9:

Leviathan-Wakes.jpg

James S.A. Corey is a duo of two writers Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck. They Co-write the Expanse series.

After hearing about Leviathan Wakes in this thread and finding out they were nominated for the Hugo for best novel, I picked it up.

My reading experience begins tonight! :luhv:

wow! I havent updated my Read list since 5/12. Since I last posted I have:

Completed Legacy of Ashes: A History of the CIA by Tim Weiner

Read:

The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson

The Devil Colony by James Rollins.

The Collector by John Fowles

Out of Space & Time by Clark Ashton Smith (Neville Spearman edition)

Completed: The Complete Stories of Philip K Dick Vol I King of the Elves

Read: The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K LeGuin

I enjoyed all of these reads!

This was my first experience with James Rollins and I really dug the book. Very reminiscent of the Doc Savage novels I read as a young-un. I don't really read a lot of adventure fiction but I think I am going to check out some more James Rollins. Just the right combination of science, history, espionage/counter-terrorism, and globetrotting (for me).

Also this was my first reading of CAS which was very stimulating. I don't often have to read with a dictionary beside me but felt I wanted to with Clark Ashton Smith. (although I didn't do it this time... perhaps on the re-read) That fellow has a vibrant vocabulary!

did anyone here like the chronicles of the shadow war books that came out after willow? reviews of the first book aren't that great, and it's plot doesn't seem all that interesting to me, but i loved willow so much i kinda want to take a chance on it.

also, has anyone read the jason bourne books? what did you think of those if you read them? worth reading?

Edited by Hawkman