• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

Just finished reading Paul Allen's autobiography "Idea Man". Allen was the co-founder of Microsoft along with Bill Gates, and is the owner or co-owner of several sports franchises, the creator of the Experience Music Project in Seattle and has backed a number of environmental, development and scientific causes (including space exploration), among other things.

I enjoyed the book tremendously - the Microsoft sections were fascinating. Bill Gates doesn't come off particularly well, being portrayed as shockingly ruthless and single-mindedly bent on getting to and staying on top while at the company (though, he redeems himself later on with his philanthropy and just generally mellowing out and becoming more of a human being later in life). Allen's post-Microsoft dealings, from his sports teams, to his high-profile tech/cable adventures (including some of the worst investment decisions made in the history of mankind), to his using his wealth and love of music to create the EMP and jam with Bono and the Stones and the like, is even more fascinating.

Would definitely recommend it to anyone with a love of technology and entrepreneurship, as well as anyone who wants to know what one does when one retires from Microsoft at 29 and has limitless options for his second act.

I'm reading The Shrinking Man by Richard Matheson.

The 1956 Gold Medal paperback, first print. This cover must have been quite the grabber sitting there on your local 50's drugstore rack!

cc8f7c95-7a98-47a0-9fb1-6fb6e9ea3a91.jpg

Edited by Arkadin

Finally got around to finishing the book "Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything" by economist Steven D. Levitt and journalist Stephen J. Dubner. Definitely think a lot of people would enjoy and get a lot out of reading this book, which basically comes up with novel approaches to answer questions most people wouldn't normally think of (e.g., "Do realtors have your best interests in mind?", "Did legalized abortion cause the crime rate to plummet in the 1990s?", "Which is more dangerous to children - a gun or a swimming pool?")

I think a lot of this can probably be applied to current and future issues in the hobby as well - "Do superhero movies really cause comic prices to rise?" and "Did the comic bust of the 1990s lead to declining comic values in the 2020s?" are a couple of potential theses that come to mind. hm

All in Color for a Dime by Richard A. Lupoff and Don Thompson (1971)

Started it about 2 months ago and haven't finished it yet. I read it only when I'm waiting in line and such. Very interesting though.

Here's a study/article all you reading-addicts might find interesting (and already knew or suspected).

What happens to the brain on a really good novel... Brain function 'boosted for days after reading a novel'

Being pulled into the world of a gripping novel can trigger actual, measurable changes in the brain that linger for at least five days after reading, scientists have said.

Happy New Year! :headbang:

I just finished the Hunger Games series per my kids' recommendation. I have to say, I have no idea how they are going to turn the last book (Mockingjay) into a movie (or two) and capture the feel of the book. I have started on The Hobbit (a re-read) so I can compare it to the adaptation. Afterwards, I want to get back to Atlas Shrugged.

Just finished reading "I Want My MTV: The Uncensored Story of the Music Video Revolution by Rob Tannenbaum and Craig Marks. It's basically an oral history (lots of interview snippets with MTV execs, VJs, music execs, video directors, video producers, managers, musicians, etc. strung together) of MTV and pop/music culture from the early '80s through the early '90s. A fantastic trip down memory lane; I went crazy today at Amazon's MP3 store buying up a ton of the bands featured/mentioned in the book.

Just started the recent novel "The Night Gwen Stacy Died" by Sarah Bruni. From Amazon: An offbeat love story about the adventures and mutual rescue of a young woman out of place in her hometown and a mysterious stranger who calls himself Peter Parker (and begins to cast her in the role of Spider-Man’s first sweetheart), The Night Gwen Stacy Died is about first loss, first love, and finding our real identities. Not sure what to expect from it, as I basically decided to buy it because of the title - I'll let you guys know if it's worth reading after I finish it.

Just started The Lord of the Rings again last night.

I got the trilogy when I was in high school ( a nice Easton Press, leather bound set ), but I was out last night and ran across a nice collected edition in one volume. It's been a while since I read it and wanted to jump in again. It's nice having it in one volume and already started the journey again...

I went on a Stephen KIng binge this year... read 8 books include Salems Lot, Misery, The Shining, The Long Walk, Night Shift, Different Seasons, Joyland, and Pet Semetary.... I've avoided The Stand because of how daunting it is.

I finally started it last week. I'm at about page 300 and so far, really digging it. (thumbs u

You gotta read Needful Things! (thumbs u

I'm still working on Justin Cronin's "The Passage" but I'm the slowest reader so I'll probably finish it in 2017. :grin:

"Salem's Lot" is one of my favorite horror novels. No matter how many hundreds of books I read "Salem's Lot" remains in my Top 10. Right next to the "Pine Deep Trilogy" by Jonathan Maberry. Anyone who enjoyed "Salem's Lot" would love this trilogy. No sparkling, romance or any of that jive. "The Stand" is definitely in my top 10 as well.