• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

The Holy Bible.

66 different books written by 40 different authors over the length of thousands of years.

Even if you don't believe it's God Word, it's still a history book filled with drunks, murderers, thieves, adulterers, rapists, war mongers, cowards, etc.

Just started the recent novel "The Night Gwen Stacy Died" by Sarah Bruni. From Amazon: An offbeat love story about the adventures and mutual rescue of a young woman out of place in her hometown and a mysterious stranger who calls himself Peter Parker (and begins to cast her in the role of Spider-Man’s first sweetheart), The Night Gwen Stacy Died is about first loss, first love, and finding our real identities. Not sure what to expect from it, as I basically decided to buy it because of the title - I'll let you guys know if it's worth reading after I finish it.

Just finished "The Night Gwen Stacy Died". This review summarizes the story better than I can:

Seventeen-year-old Sheila Gower is going nowhere fast. Working at a local gas station, she has no aspirations to go to college but is learning French in the hopes of moving to Paris. Then a man who goes by the name Peter Parker starts to frequent the gas station. Sheila finds herself increasingly curious about why he’s christened himself with Spider-man’s alias, and when he walks in one day with a gun, suggesting they stage a robbery and flee the state, Sheila agrees. The two drive to Chicago and begin a new life together. Peter starts calling Sheila by the name of Spider-man’s girlfriend, Gwen Stacy, but what he doesn’t tell her is that she’s factored heavily into prophetic dreams he’s been having. Peter is on a mission to save a suicidal man that he’s seen in these recurring dreams, and he believes he needs Sheila by his side to do so. Bruni’s debut is an unusual and inventive love story, with two lost souls who hold the key to each other’s salvation at its heart.

There's a decent amount of Spider-Man history woven into it, but not so much as to be overkill. There's no real action to speak of, and the last third of the book takes a bit of a dark, surreal turn. I suspect it will appeal more to women than men, though it's not exactly fluffy chick lit either. It's a super quick read, and only $2.99 now on Kindle. 2c

I just finished Doctor Sleep by Stephen King and now I'm reading, for the first time, IT. WOW, does this one draw the reader in. Thankfully, it's a very long book.

IT is incredible. Some of my favorite books are from Stephen King, just amazing stuff.

I just picked up the Dark Tower 5, 6, and 7. Read the 1st 4 books and plan on reading the rest in the series.

Stephen King.

:luhv:

-slym

I've been bit by the Stephen King bug. Hard. :cloud9:

It helps that I picked up the majority of his work all in HC at a thrift store last year. <3

Ryan - When you read "The Stand" make sure it's the extended "Directors Cut" that is about twice as long. And after you read "Salem's Lot" let me know if you want more vampires (ones that don't sparkle of course) and 'll send you an awesome vampire novel.

Stephen King.

-slym

It helps that I picked up the majority of his work all in HC at a thrift store last year. <3

Ryan - When you read "The Stand" make sure it's the extended "Directors Cut" that is about twice as long. And after you read "Salem's Lot" let me know if you want more vampires (ones that don't sparkle of course) and 'll send you an awesome vampire novel.

hm

I wonder which one ;)

Recently finished THE KEEP (thanks, Mark (thumbs u ), then read GHOST ROAD BLUES (again, thanks, Mark), just finished part one of THE WALKING DEAD: FALL OF THE GOVERNOR, and am now finally reading ENDER'S GAME :headbang:

Stephen King.

-slym

hm

I wonder which one ;)

Recently finished THE KEEP (thanks, Mark (thumbs u ), then read GHOST ROAD BLUES (again, thanks, Mark), just finished part one of THE WALKING DEAD: FALL OF THE GOVERNOR, and am now finally reading ENDER'S GAME :headbang:

You might be surprised which one I give him. My library has a few books reserved for you but other than that I have all kinds of good stuff ready to fly (thumbs u