• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

I need a recommendation! An outstanding Sci Fi, Fantasy or Horror written within the past 10 years.

These are my highest recommendations, best of the best imho.

Sci Fi: The Expanse trilogy by James S.A. Corey Third volume just came out.

Fantasy: The Kingkiller Chronicle trilogy by Patrick Rothfuss Two volumes out. The Name of the Wind and The Wise man's Fear.

Fantasy: Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson

"Horror" these days is almost too vague a term to know what flavor you might like. Paranormal, Zombies, Splatterfest, Chiller Thriller, Creatures, Demons/Angels?

I need a recommendation! An outstanding Sci Fi, Fantasy or Horror written within the past 10 years.
Wanted to add one more recommendation. One that keeps popping up repeatedly throughout this thread:

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Hard to classify, other than 'futuristic fantasy'. Set in the year 2044, it's both a 'virtual reality' love letter to 80's pop culture and one hell of an adventure story.

If your looking for just one new book to fall into, this may be it. Top shelf goodness.

ready-player-one_610.jpg

Wanted to add one more recommendation. One that keeps popping up repeatedly throughout this thread:

Hard to classify, other than 'futuristic fantasy'. Set in the year 2044, it's both a 'virtual reality' love letter to 80's pop culture and one hell of an adventure story.

If your looking for just one new book to fall into, this may be it. Top shelf goodness.

ready-player-one_610.jpg

I heard a lot of good stuff about this. I will get it for my Kindle Fire! (thumbs u

ready-player-one_610.jpg

I've read it! Absolute fantastic book that I read with my missus and we both loved it so much and consider it one of the best books we have ever read.

I would love to find another book that would make us feel the same way. Thanks for the recommendations thus far.

The Incredible Shrinking Schave thread, but other than that...

Thraxas by Martin Scott. First in a series. Fun popcorn-fantasy, a little literary 'crunch & munch' between more ambitious reads. Great characters.

Shock Wave (Virgil Flowers #5) by John Sandford. Never disappoints. Wish he'd write faster.

Rubbernecker by Belinda Bauer. THIS blew me away. Once it got rolling every chapter became another shock ending, one after another. Insanely interesting main character. This story will probably stay with me for years to come, never read anything like it.

1553636.jpg9925913.jpg16071656.jpg

I picked up a HC Lord of the Rings collection from a thrift store last week and I'm reading it for the first time. I'm only 120 or so pages in and I'm really enjoying it so far. Never read The Hobbit and I only really enjoyed the third movie.

What I didn't know about this series and I've found it truly shocking is that the Hobbits very frequently sing and have songs for EVERYTHING. They even have a "taking a bath" song. It's strange.

I picked up a HC Lord of the Rings collection from a thrift store last week and I'm reading it for the first time. I'm only 120 or so pages in and I'm really enjoying it so far. Never read The Hobbit and I only really enjoyed the third movie.

What I didn't know about this series and I've found it truly shocking is that the Hobbits very frequently sing and have songs for EVERYTHING. They even have a "taking a bath" song. It's strange.

They also had a particular strain of pipe-weed that Tolkien himself might have access to.

:whistle:

-slym

Recently bought this off ebay & can't wait to read it when it gets here in a few days:

eLSY1cH.jpg

A movie inspired by the real Skinwalker Ranch will be released next month just in time for Halloween.

Paranormal/UFOs/Conspiracy Theory/[Cattle Abduction/Mutilation]/Cryptozoology, etc.

I'm currently reading "The Widow Clicquot: The Story of a Champagne Empire and the Woman Who Ruled It" by Tilar J. Mazzeo about the woman who started Veuve Clicquot. Interesting stuff.

Just finished "The Asylum: The Renegades Who Hijacked the World’s Oil Market" by Leah McGrath Goodman. It's basically a history of the New York Mercantile Exchange (NYMEX). Which is somewhat, but not wholly, interesting in and of itself, but it at least will hopefully clarify to people who read it that neither oil companies nor OPEC have had any control over setting oil prices once market pricing moved out of the shadows and onto the exchange floor some 30-odd years ago.

Currently reading "The Art Prophets: The Artists, Dealers, and Tastemakers Who Shook the Art World" by Richard Polsky (who also wrote the much better "I Bought Andy Warhol" and "I Sold Andy Warhol (Too Soon)". There's a chapter in the book on comic books, but it barely touches on OA and the collectability of such...it's more about the Marvel revolution of the '60s and some high-brow profiles of Crumb and Spiegelman. So far, not really blown away by this book.

Next on the list (already downloaded to my Kindle) is "What You Want Is in the Limo: On the Road with Led Zeppelin, Alice Cooper, and the Who in 1973, the Year the Sixties Died and the Modern Rock Star was Born" by Michael Walker. :headbang:

Have read several books since my last post:

First, What You Want is in the Limo... from my last post was a good, fast, fun read about Zeppelin, The Who and Alice Cooper (as a proxy for the music world) in the early '70s. Less dirt than I had hoped, but I really enjoyed it

The Buy Side: A Wall Street Trader's Tale of Spectacular Excess by Turney Duff A fun read, though that "spectacular excess" promised was perhaps not as spectacular and more cliched than I had been hoping for

Too Much Horror Business: The Kirk Hammett Collection by Kirk Hammett and Steffan Chirazi Very cool, mostly pictures of Kirk's movie poster, toy, art and memorabilia collection with some added commentary, interviews, etc.

Straight Flush: The True Story of Six College Friends Who Dealt Their Way to a Billion-Dollar Online Poker Empire - and How It All Came Crashing Down by Ben Mezrich The usual embellished non-fiction fare from Mezrich (who wrote the books that inspired the films "21" and "The Social Network"), though not one of his best efforts

Turn Around Bright Eyes: The Rituals of Love and Karaoke by Rob Sheffield Fun read if you like karaoke and mostly '80s and '90s music, though the book is largely about how the author (a Rolling Stone writer) rebounded from the death of his first wife and got his life back on track (with the aid of music and karaoke)

I went on a Stephen KIng binge this year... read 8 books include Salems Lot, Misery, The Shining, The Long Walk, Night Shift, Different Seasons, Joyland, and Pet Semetary.... I've avoided The Stand because of how daunting it is.

I finally started it last week. I'm at about page 300 and so far, really digging it. (thumbs u

I went on a Stephen KIng binge this year... read 8 books include Salems Lot, Misery, The Shining, The Long Walk, Night Shift, Different Seasons, Joyland, and Pet Semetary.... I've avoided The Stand because of how daunting it is.

I finally started it last week. I'm at about page 300 and so far, really digging it. (thumbs u

You gotta read Needful Things! (thumbs u

I'm still working on Justin Cronin's "The Passage" but I'm the slowest reader so I'll probably finish it in 2017. :grin:

You gotta read Needful Things! (thumbs u

I'm still working on Justin Cronin's "The Passage" but I'm the slowest reader so I'll probably finish it in 2017. :grin:

and "It". That book totally freaked me out. I've been reading the Dark Tower series for the past year and am on the 6th book. Stephen King :headbang:

I mostly read military history, and right now I'm reading Ivan's War by Catherine Merridale. I'm a WW2 Eastern Front nut; the majority of non-fiction books I read in any given year are WWII related.

Fictionally, I've just about finished Fall of Giants by Ken Follett.

Just finished reading yet another rock 'n roll (auto)biography - Sex, Drugs, Ratt & Roll: My Life in Rock by Stephen Pearcy and Sam Benjamin. Pearcy is, of course, the founder and lead singer of '80s hair metal band Ratt (I'm a longtime fan of them and the genre in general). I've read better rock bios, but this one was still a fun and breezy read about Pearcy pretty much willing himself to rock stardom (brief though those his time at the top of his game was) and all the drugs and women that came with it during the head days of the early to late '80s. He names some names, but mostly just talks about the groupies and such.

Lots of good cameo appearances in the book from the likes of Van Halen, Motley Crue, Michael Jackson, Simon Le Bon, Ozzy Osbourne, etc. which add nicely to Pearcy's story. His bandmates come off very well; he doesn't bad mouth them at all, really, and he acknowledges he own shortcomings pretty readily. Wish he would have talked more about the last 10 years of Robbin Crosby's life, as little is mentioned about him after the band's first break-up through his death in 2002. All in all, a decent book for the beach or vacation if you're a big fan of the hair band era like I am. 2c