• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "Early" Action Comics Club (#1-24)
9 9

1,479 posts in this topic

Sweet!

That's one more early Action than I have ever owned. :sorry:

Any other boardies with Early Actions? (shrug)

I have one and only one. Not the most valuable of the first 24 by any stretch, but it sure is purty! :cloud9:

action18.jpg

That is a one sweet example. Love it. :cloud9:

I have one and only one. Not the most valuable of the first 24 by any stretch, but it sure is purty! :cloud9:

action18.jpg

Great colors and definitely nice example. :applause:

action18.jpg

:o

What time-machine did you use to acquire that one?

This one right here. Awesome book, and definitely a keeper.

:cry:

from what i have seen in the market place over the past couple of years "3" is the rarest action comic. IMO...
3 is second to 13 and 12...there have been only 3 issues of 13 I have seen for sale in the past 6 years or so, 4 copies of issue 12, and 5 copies of issue 3... that is why I rank them in that order (thumbs u

Interesting b/c there are 11 unrestored #13s on the census. And for example only 5 unrestored #9s.

It could be scarce the way Marvel Mystery #9 is scarce...not truly rare, but collected and kept so not as many make it to the market.

action18.jpg

Great colors and definitely nice example. :applause:

PQ (bottom edge) looks great, too. Wow.

I like the cover to Action #18. I feel it's popularity will grow in time.

I think the early DC "adventure" type covers remain, unfairly, left in the shadows of their Superhero counterparts. Many times I actually prefer them. O'Mealia's early Action and Detective work are obvious examples, but Flessel and Guardineer also did some of the best work to ever grace a funnybook front.

I mean, lets get real, does cover art get much better than Detective 18, Action 2 or Action 8 (despite the obvious swipe of a superior illustrator)? I say no, no it does not!

Yes, and thanks to Roy for selling me the Action. We both looked at it a few years ago at Harley's table, but he was quicker on the draw!

Love these books, and they are just a fraction of the cost.

mf47.jpg

detective15-1.jpg

I mean, lets get real, does cover art get much better than Detective 18, Action 2 or Action 8 (despite the obvious swipe of a superior illustrator)? I say no, no it does not!

Preach it brother! :preach:

:gossip: nice books

I like the cover to Action #18. I feel it's popularity will grow in time.

I think the early DC "adventure" type covers remain, unfairly, left in the shadows of their Superhero counterparts. Many times I actually prefer them. O'Mealia's early Action and Detective work are obvious examples, but Flessel and Guardineer also did some of the best work to ever grace a funnybook front.

Yes, and thanks to Roy for selling me the Action. We both looked at it a few years ago at Harley's table, but he was quicker on the draw!

Love these books, and they are just a fraction of the cost.

mf47.jpg

detective15-1.jpg

well said andy.

i couldnt agree more! :applause:

Ben

Very valid points...with the cover to Action Comics #2 being one of my personal favorites. :cloud9:

I feel that one could very easily argue that O'Mealia and Flessel were much better illustrators than Shuster and Kane (for instance); as with the last two mentioned, we often hear the term "crude" associated with their artwork. (tsk)

But I feel that there is a very good reason why some of the better illustrated covers end up in the shadows; and it's an obvious one.

Within our hobby...yes, many of us can appreciate artwork the likes of the cover to Action Comics #2. It's phenomenal work, much like the early Flessel covers in Detective Comics. (worship)

As far as I'm concerned, there's some true comic book history there; and an additional mystique that came from those very early issues.

But superheroes changed so much of that; and I hope what I'm about to offer in terms of opinion extends a little bit beyond stating the obvious (which I'm also doing).

Obviously the popularity of the superhero genre is the primary factor that contributes to the superhero covers overshadowing the pre-hero classics, but I think it's a little bit deeper than just that.

For instance, compare the cover of Action Comics #1 to the cover of Action Comics #2 (pics borrowed from Google Images).

Action12.jpg

Clearly, O'Mealia's artwork is superior to Shuster's...he was a better illustrated from a "technical" standpoint; but there's so much more that goes into comic book art.

When I compare the two, I see an incredible cover on the right; but one that does not withstand the test of time too much (especially outside of our circles) beyond being artistically impressive.

The image on the left is an entirely different story; and deservedly so.

Had the cover of Action #1 featured an angry man lifting up a table in a fit of rage (random example)...the image would become pretty unmemorable. But the figure we see is not an average man, it's SUPERMAN. :o

Born in the shadow of the great depression, this character would truly become a "champion of the oppressed". With Superman, an entire genre was created; as made undeniably apparent by the countless imitators that arose in his wake.

So when we look back to these classic covers, I see a much deeper significance to the cover of Action Comics #1 beyond simply being "the first Superman" alone; it was the birth of a creative genre that has since dominated the platform for almost 100 years (okay...closer to 75).

It's easy to see why many of the truly great pre-hero covers continue to go under-appreciated, as artistic superiority simply cannot hold a candle to historical significance; not in this instance anyway IMO.

Edited by Wayne-Tec

:news:

Metro has recently added a CGC graded 4.5 unrestored copy of Action Comics #1 to their website. (worship)

http://www.metropoliscomics.com/load_bookDetails.php?id=411122&enlarge=0

slabbed27.jpg

Given the "Classic cover" notation on the CGC label, it would have to either be a relatively recent submission or a re-holdered book.

Still, I don't recognize this copy...could this be the famous Nicolas Cage Action #1? (shrug)

The "Cage pedigree" book was 8.0...Unless it was taken out of that holder (and "high security frame") once it got buried in the storage locker (shudder)...

Metro has recently added a CGC graded 4.5 unrestored copy of Action Comics #1 to their website. (worship)

slabbed27.jpg

Given the "Classic cover" notation on the CGC label, it would have to either be a relatively recent submission or a re-holdered book.

Still, I don't recognize this copy...could this be the famous Nicolas Cage Action #1? (shrug)

Not sure which book that is. I do not believe that this is Cage's copy.

slabbed27.jpg

Awesome info! Great book.

Defiantly not cage's copy however.