• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "Early" Action Comics Club (#1-24)
9 9

1,479 posts in this topic

:news:

Some copies of Action Comics #1 will be coming up for auction in Heritage's 2011 May New York Signature Vintage Comics & Comic Art Auction #7033.

Action Comics #1 (DC, 1938) CGC Apparent VF 8.0 Moderate (P) Cream to off-white pages.

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=7033&LotIdNo=101001

Action Comics #1 Coverless Copy (DC, 1938) CGC "No Grade".

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=7033&LotIdNo=127001

Action Comics #1-24 Bound Volumes (DC, 1938-40).

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=7033&LotIdNo=115001

Incredible! :o

(worship)(worship)(worship)

Only three Action 1s in this auction?

If you've got one to sell, get it in there fast!

I don't mean to sound too cheesy...but it goes without saying that this is HUGE.

Since we've seen a number of Action #1's auctioned off or sold over the past year or so, I tend to get the feeling that that takes some of the steam out of some collectors' sails excitement-wise.

But lets not kid ourselves here, Action Comics #1 is not an "easy" book to find.

Out of all the comic books that one would ever want to have slabbed, Action Comics #1 would be at the very top of that list...and in the decade-plus of CGC's existence, they've only graded 49 copies (not taking into account NG's).

While this 8.0 coming up for auction is a restored copy, the restoration is moderate (not extensive) and the appearence judging by the scans is enough to make your jaw-drop.

Oh yeah, it's one of only six copies to ever be certified an 8.0 or higher by CGC (to date).

INCREDIBLE.

But that's only one of the three.

Though the scans are yet to be made available, a coverless (but complete, sans the cover) copy of Action Comics #1 will be available in the same auction.

Part of the description reads "Coverless. 1st wrap detached & completely split. Heavy damage to 1st wrap."

This might provide collectors who cannot afford a complete copy, an opportunity to own the greatest comic book of all time nevertheless. If anything, I suspect the damage noted above to expand the bidding pool a little bit, giving an opportunity to more collectors, as a more structurally-sound coverless copy would understandably command an ever greater premium.

It's an unrestored Action Comics #1 with the Superman-story complete. (worship)

Some copies of Action Comics #1 will be coming up for auction in Heritage's 2011 May New York Signature Vintage Comics & Comic Art Auction #7033.

Action Comics #1 (DC, 1938) CGC Apparent VF 8.0 Moderate (P) Cream to off-white pages.

Wouldn't an 8.0 Mod (P) mean that the book was about a 5.0-5.5 unrestored?

hard to say because a complete decent book with detached cover might be a blue 3.0 and with the cover reattached and a few CT here and there can easily be a PLOD 8.0.

I might be wrong as far as a detached cover can only get as high as 3.0 but I have seen many nice GA books at 3.0 with that problem.

In the end, only the restorer can answer with any certainty.

To use as a point of comparison, the coverless copy of Tec #27 with "slightly brittle" pages sold on CC for $21,601 just last week.

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=388796

Does the damage to the first wrap of this coverless Action #1 make it more or less appealing than a copy without as much first wrap wear, but that has slightly brittle pages? :juggle:

Either way, I feel that the coverless Tec #27 sold at a very reasonable price.

As great as Tec #27 is, Action #1 is on a slightly higher plateau. I think one could argue that there to be a greater differentiation within the hierarchy than that...but I suppose that's a debate for another time.

These coverless copies are truly golden opportunities.

And with as iconic as the cover of Action #1 clearly is, a coverless copy that sports the origin of Superman on the first-page is nothing to scoff at either.

I think that we'll look back ten years from now in astonishment that copies of Action #1 and Tec #27 could be acquired within this price-range.

To use as a point of comparison, the coverless copy of Tec #27 with "slightly brittle" pages sold on CC for $21,601 just last week.

Does the damage to the first wrap of this coverless Action #1 make it more or less appealing than a copy without as much first wrap wear, but that has slightly brittle pages? :juggle:

As great as Tec #27 is, Action #1 is on a slightly higher plateau. I think one could argue that there to be a greater differentiation within the hierarchy than that...but I suppose that's a debate for another time.

And with as iconic as the cover of Action #1 clearly is, a coverless copy that sports the origin of Superman on the first-page is nothing to scoff at either.

I think that we'll look back ten years from now in astonishment that copies of Action #1 and Tec #27 could be acquired within this price-range.

Unless my experience is unusual, and I've simply missed a lot of coverless action 1s over the last 30 years, I would say that coverless tec 27s, while rare, are a lot less rare than coverless action 1s.

Unless my experience is unusual, and I've simply missed a lot of coverless action 1s over the last 30 years, I would say that coverless tec 27s, while rare, are a lot less rare than coverless action 1s.

How about the superman or batman wraps/pages or cover. Which ones are harder to find. From the last 3 years, I have seem more superman pages and cover available. super-man wraps from 2 different comiclink auctions and 2/3 of the action 1 cover from comicconnect auction

How about the superman or batman wraps/pages or cover. Which ones are harder to find. From the last 3 years, I have seem more superman pages and cover available. super-man wraps from 2 different comiclink auctions and 2/3 of the action 1 cover from comicconnect auction

hm Doesn't this add up to 1 book minus 1/3 of a cover?

Shouldn't it be easier to find superman pages/wraps? Aren't there 13 supe pages and only 6 for batman.

Shouldn't it be easier to find superman pages/wraps? Aren't there 13 supe pages and only 6 for batman.

Good point

Wouldn't an 8.0 Mod (P) mean that the book was about a 5.0-5.5 unrestored?

An apparent 8.0 mod would have been a universal 4.0-5.0. I think the people "in the know" around here would say something like that. But there is a lot of noise mingling with the tones here on the boards. I have even heard voices claiming that an 1.0 book could be raised to a 7.0 book wih moderate work. Thats the problem: that it is free for any anonymous amateur to distribute their ignorance. Its free to mean anything on any matter. That is one of the factors that keep restored books in a cloud of unknowing. There is often a ton of 'meaners' meaning something. You got an 1.5 book? Well just restore it to 9.4. Yeah right!

The guys on here that is really 'in the know' on these matters - and have the hands on experience - are becomming more and more hesitant to share their knowledge. I guess to much $$ is at stake perhaps. But the types of threads I check back to on a regular basis the willingness to share knowledge is obviously decreasing.

Since this is to a large extent the dealers community rather than the collectors community - you can imagine that most knowledge on here circulates on PM basis. That is in closed networks. The open threads are then increasingly reserved for :blahblah:

Again - thats just how it is. Its ok with me lol

Edited by Angelius Silesius

well a dealer is not gonna receal his trade secrets; anyone on here long enough will realize it

Quite true. No dealer will EVER receal nothing. :sumo:

iphone typing error doh!

anyways when buying/speding big on a car you don't ask advice from the car dealer; big watch-don't ask advice from the watch salemans.... same applies to the boards here; especially if its someone that has a book he or she wants to sell or buy

Edited by SpiderTurtle

There is no strict formulal folks.

Some 1.0 books might be restored to a 7.0 and another may stay a 3.0.

It all depends on the type of work and how much is being done.

well a dealer is not gonna receal his trade secrets; anyone on here long enough will realize it

Quite true. No dealer will EVER receal nothing. :sumo:

iphone typing error doh!

anyways when buying/speding big on a car you don't ask advice from the car dealer; big watch-don't ask advice from the watch salemans.... same applies to the boards here; especially if its someone that has a book he or she wants to sell or buy

Just to bad that all the were selling the ordinary Joe-Schmoe doesnt hold up: for instance that 'the boards are for entertainment as well as education', etc, etc.

This is void in light of the fact that "center" knowledge (about developmental trends regarding plods, keybooks, prices etc) circulates in rather tightly controlled closed networks. That is as PM-loops for selectees and the guys (i.e. dealers) 'in the know'.

The "open" threads on the boards are then reserved for Joe Sixpack.

In the open threads the saying just goes like: "Buy it! - great price, thats a steal, restoreds are deathrow = stay away, etc. etc. So we got two boards in one: the PM /dealer closed board and the open Joe Scmoe Board with all the clichees and 'Just Buy it' frases about 'that book has definitely dobbelt in price' (thumbs u

(That said from me who is a joe :()

Edited by Angelius Silesius