• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "Early" Action Comics Club (#1-24)
9 9

1,479 posts in this topic

Love the "Spectre" add.

Me too. I love seeing those first previews of covers or characters. That would make a great thread here............. hm

hm

action13centerfold002.jpg

First time I saw a copy of Action 13 with that ad, I didn't buy it because the dealer pointed out that the book had the wrong interior (overstreet said the ad was in #14).

Love the "Spectre" add.

Me too. I love seeing those first previews of covers or characters. That would make a great thread here............. hm

hm

First time I saw a copy of Action 13 with that ad, I didn't buy it because the dealer pointed out that the book had the wrong interior (overstreet said the ad was in #14).

What an honest dealer. Love that centerfold and if anyone has a spare...love to have one framed. :cloud9:

Love the "Spectre" add.

hm

What an honest dealer. Love that centerfold and if anyone has a spare...love to have one framed. :cloud9:

Very honest dealer who didn't realize Overstreet was wrong. I was going to buy it anyway (for a hundred bucks) but got distracted because my kid wanted to go look at something else. Meant to come back but forgot the booth #

Edited by bluechip

Love the "Spectre" add.

hm

Very honest dealer who didn't realize Overstreet was wrong. I was going to buy it anyway (for a hundred bucks) but got distracted because my kid wanted to go look at something else. Meant to come back but forgot the booth #

This must have been in the early 1970's OSPG?

Edited by showcase22gr1959

With less than 24-hours left until the end of the auction, the Action #1 on ComicConnect is up to 60K; any predictions as to how much it will end up selling for? (shrug)

$82K (shrug)

Seems to be about as good of a guess as any. (thumbs u

Although my personal estimate would be closer to 75K.

I guess we'll find out in a little under 20 hours.

I believe 63K was hammer

I believe so. (thumbs u

And it seems to be a pretty good deal IMHO.

To date, there have only been 9 complete copies (5 universal and 4 restored) graded by CGC in 2.0 or under.

That's a pretty limited selection to choose from for collectors without the spending power to acquire copies in higher grades.

63K might seem like a strong price for a restored copy at this point in 2011; but as has been the case countless times, we may reflect upon it years down the road as being quite a bargain in retrospect.

I doubt this purchase will ever be considered a "bargain"... the pq hurts the book to some degree, as well as condition... that said, congrats to whomever picked it up, but I doubt it will appreciate all that much in the future, other than the appreciation the owner gives it (thumbs u

I doubt this purchase will ever be considered a "bargain"... the pq hurts the book to some degree, as well as condition... that said, congrats to whomever picked it up, but I doubt it will appreciate all that much in the future, other than the appreciation the owner gives it (thumbs u

I would respectfully differ. I think that unless the market for all comics slackens considerably that the base price for the Big 2 (action 1, tec 27) will be 100K for anything complete and at all presentable. I think the buyers for this and the comiclink copy both got pretty good deals considering the longterm, and while there may be other deals for this and tec 27 that come along, a buyer can't count on copies appearing the way they can for lesser books.

Speaking of Action Comics #1...

I would like to share with everyone, my latest acquisitions. :cloud9:

Action_Slabs.jpg

Three individual pages from the Holy Grail of our hobby. (worship)

The one of the far-right is the same page I acquired a few weeks ago (as previously shared in this thread); and the other two are fresh additions to my collection ... the result of my quest to acquire as much as I could of the greatest comic book of all-time.

While the 1st appearence of Superman is naturally the driving force behind what makes this book great; there is also much to appreciate from this legendary issue as provided to us by the likes of Bernard Baily, Sven Elven, Fred Guardineer, etc.

My page #19 features the introduction to the Marco Polo story.

My pages #30 and #31 are from the very back of Action Comics #1 and therefore feature not only the 1st appearence of Tex Thompson (later to become Mr. America and the Americommando), but had to have also originated from the exact sheets (or wraps if you will) of paper that were connected to the Superman story pages from the front of the book.

For us mere mortals who cannot afford $1,000,000+ copies or even low-grade restored 63K copies ... this is about as close as one can come to the pinnacle of our hobby. :)