• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "Early" Action Comics Club (#1-24)
9 9

1,479 posts in this topic

Wow, was all 3 from the same seller?

Nice

Yes, but these were all the pages that he had.

I already mentioned this earlier in the thread after I acquired the first of my three pages ... but when I called CGC for graders notes (just to see if they could tell me anything beyond what was already printed on the label), they did tell me that they slabbed quite a number of other loose pages at the same time. So there has to be others out there.

Since the back of my 31st page is an identical match to the back-scan of the coverless/incomplete copy that sold on ComicConnect last August, I feel that it is a pretty safe assumption that all three of my pages originated from that copy. (thumbs u

I doubt this purchase will ever be considered a "bargain"... the pq hurts the book to some degree, as well as condition... that said, congrats to whomever picked it up, but I doubt it will appreciate all that much in the future, other than the appreciation the owner gives it (thumbs u

I would respectfully differ. I think that unless the market for all comics slackens considerably that the base price for the Big 2 (action 1, tec 27) will be 100K for anything complete and at all presentable. I think the buyers for this and the comiclink copy both got pretty good deals considering the longterm, and while there may be other deals for this and tec 27 that come along, a buyer can't count on copies appearing the way they can for lesser books.

How long can a book with PCB pages last? I used to not care about PQ, but after holding a few books and unintentionally flaking pieces off just by turning the pages, this book could fall apart in the holder. Not likely, but possible.

I doubt this purchase will ever be considered a "bargain"... the pq hurts the book to some degree, as well as condition... that said, congrats to whomever picked it up, but I doubt it will appreciate all that much in the future, other than the appreciation the owner gives it (thumbs u

I would respectfully differ. I think that unless the market for all comics slackens considerably that the base price for the Big 2 (action 1, tec 27) will be 100K for anything complete and at all presentable. I think the buyers for this and the comiclink copy both got pretty good deals considering the longterm, and while there may be other deals for this and tec 27 that come along, a buyer can't count on copies appearing the way they can for lesser books.

the reason I dissagree is that "that" time is now... nicely restored or low grade copies are already at the 100K entry point...but we have had 4 sales now, in the past year, all at 72K and under, for franken restored copies, and low grade/restored/brittle... so, I contend that the market is about as high on "these" type of copies as it is going, because there has never been as much demand as there is now, and prices for "comparable" type grails have already escalated to the point that if these copies were going to be 100K copies, short and far sighted folks would be willing to pay that now... you "always" have to overpay for an action 1 or tec 27, so I don't consider these "deals", but near end pricing (for these particular copies) (thumbs u

Thought this was very cool. Found this quote from Allen Bellman while reading an article about him...

“I was in junior high school. On our lunch hour there was a candy store. I went in and paid 10 cents for the first Superman in ACTION COMICS. I remember there was a guy running towards you and Superman was holding up a car. I remember it clearly. There was nothing previously on the newsstands like that. I wish I still had it."

Thought this was very cool. Found this quote from Allen Bellman while reading an article about him...

“I was in junior high school. On our lunch hour there was a candy store. I went in and paid 10 cents for the first Superman in ACTION COMICS. I remember there was a guy running towards you and Superman was holding up a car. I remember it clearly. There was nothing previously on the newsstands like that. I wish I still had it."

It's funny, we all remember the first time we saw a new character or title & how we responded to it. To see a super-powered individual for the very first time must have been awesome.

the reason I dissagree is that "that" time is now... nicely restored or low grade copies are already at the 100K entry point...but we have had 4 sales now, in the past year, all at 72K and under, for franken restored copies, and low grade/restored/brittle... so, I contend that the market is about as high on "these" type of copies as it is going, because there has never been as much demand as there is now, and prices for "comparable" type grails have already escalated to the point that if these copies were going to be 100K copies, short and far sighted folks would be willing to pay that now... you "always" have to overpay for an action 1 or tec 27, so I don't consider these "deals", but near end pricing (for these particular copies) (thumbs u

In the case of the CC copy that just sold? I wonder if it might have been bought with the intention of removing the old Amateur resto/tape. Restoring it again trying to raise the apparent grade as high as possible.

And makes me wonder if that played into the price paid for an Amateur, brittle paged copy. The one thing it has going for it though is that pesky but important little word. "Complete"

I of course could be totally wrong.

In the case of the CC copy that just sold? I wonder if it might have been bought with the intention of removing the old Amateur resto/tape. Restoring it again trying to raise the apparent grade as high as possible.

And makes me wonder if that played into the price paid for an Amateur, brittle paged copy. The one thing it has going for it though is that pesky but important little word. "Complete"

won't go much higher with brittle pages...isn't 3.0 the highest cgc gives a comic with brittle pages (shrug)

won't go much higher with brittle pages...isn't 3.0 the highest cgc gives a comic with brittle pages (shrug)

Makes me wonder if that designation could be upgraded with washing/casting etc.

Like I joked about earlier, just how brittle are they? We both know the term "brittle" can cover a LOT of ground.

So if only a few outer wraps were "brittle", I would say the entire PQ could be upgraded with some work done. Not unheard of.

Hard to say though without seeing the interior.

Makes me wonder if that designation could be upgraded with washing/casting etc.

Like I joked about earlier, just how brittle are they? We both know the term "brittle" can cover a LOT of ground.

So if only a few outer wraps were "brittle", I would say the entire PQ could be upgraded with some work done. Not unheard of.

Hard to say though without seeing the interior.

:gossip: a call for notes will reveal much, young jedi lol

Never got that far, was just thinking out loud when I saw the book. :blahblah:

So to save me from pestering the folks down south, what were the notes on the interior?

That said, you would be surprised at how we are beginning to see PQ upgrades with conservation work. Even on entire interiors.

It's just not cost effective on all but the most key books.

Never got that far, was just thinking out loud when I saw the book. :blahblah:

So to save me from pestering the folks down south, what were the notes on the interior?

That said, you would be surprised at how we are beginning to see PQ upgrades with conservation work. Even on entire interiors.

It's just not cost effective on all but the most key books.

that certainly would be an option, I suppose...didn't even think about it...

I never called for notes, as I was not interested in the copy, but one conceivably could, if they were curious :baiting:

Dangit!!..your comment made it sound like the interior was a baby's breath away from disintegrating!

:pullhair:

I may just call, and not tell you on purpose to be super mean.

:D

Does anyone know where all the early Jerry Robinson Action Comics ended up?

I know that some of those books are on Southern California Comics's website. I think mainly Detective Comics, but maybe a few others too.

Congrats on your two more acquisitions Ryan. Me personally though, if I could afford 3 of them I would have saved some more $ and wait around just aqcuire a sup page.

Congrats! :applause: Great history there Ryan. Yes, a page with Supe will be quite welcome

Thanks guys. :hi:

The way I looked at it was this: the only "Superman" pages that I know to have been made available for sale recently have been the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd wraps that were auctioned off in the Summer of 2008, the 5th and 6th wraps that were auctioned off in the Summer of 2010, the Superman-story set of pages that "bluechip" Bob made available last September, and the incomplete/coverless copy of Action #1 that was auctioned off last September.

It's entirely possible that other examples have been made available for sale but if they were, I am not aware of when or where.

Seeing the jump in realized prices from the wraps auctioned off in 2008 to the wraps auctioned off in 2010, it appeared clear to me that we've seen something of an escalation in both the demand and realized prices for these types of items. I almost get the sense that collectors in 2008 weren't exactly sure about how to greet such pieces ... but especially in light of the $1,000,000+ sales at the beginning of 2010, collectors began to realize that incomplete parts would likely serve as the only reasonable opportunity provided to 99.9% of the collectors with an interest in Action Comics #1.

Whether collectors are looking for Superman pages or wraps to marry to incomplete copies or just to cherish as fractional remains of a book otherwise completely unaffordable to pretty much everyone ... I expect to see a continued rise in demand for such pieces; especially if available examples remain scarce.

We all know of the five slabbed "Superman" wraps certified by CGC (the ones previously made available by auction) and after speaking to Mark Haspel earlier today, I know that additional individual Superman pages have been slabbed as well. I'm just not sure of exactly how many. (shrug)

Even with that being said...as far as I can tell, the pool is limited for available slabbed copies of Superman pages; most (if not all) of which I imagine would, and should command an even greater premium.

In my case, I thought it best to acquire as much of an Action #1 as possible while I still could. We may see additional slabbed pages or wraps made available for sale in the future, or someone could discover a box full of a few hundred Action #1's tomorrow, ... you just never know.

But almost 75 years after the date of publication and with demand seemingly at an all-time high; I felt it best and am happy to have been able to acquire a percentage of the greatest comic book ever published. :cloud9:

:news:

Some copies of Action Comics #1 will be coming up for auction in Heritage's 2011 May New York Signature Vintage Comics & Comic Art Auction #7033.

Action Comics #1 (DC, 1938) CGC Apparent VF 8.0 Moderate (P) Cream to off-white pages.

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=7033&LotIdNo=101001

Action Comics #1 Coverless Copy (DC, 1938) CGC "No Grade".

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=7033&LotIdNo=127001

Action Comics #1-24 Bound Volumes (DC, 1938-40).

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=7033&LotIdNo=115001

Incredible! :o

(worship)(worship)(worship)