• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebayer to watch out for: bijoubaby05

471 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie here. Heres a huge potential mistake by me. I am just getting back into collecting comics after about 17 years off €(im only 32 now). I figured I would get all blue label CGC comics of my old silver age favorites since I am not the best judge yet. But this morning, I came across a raw AF15 on Ebay for a great price with some slight trimming on side. It did look a point or so less than advertised, and I dont think to myself as a trim to be much of a restoration since it is taking away rather then adding. (i know CGC does, and I wont argue that) anyways, I bought the book and havent paid yet, but for some reason I decided to look up the sellers name on Yahoo and I came across this thread. I was pretty horrified. I mailed him and asked if there was any other restoration and he says he did a full check and only trimming has been done. I will prolly take it to my local comic shop I used to go to and have them give it a once over just to make sure it isint totally redone. Either way, I'm pumped to get the book I always wanted. So go ahead and make fun of me. I'll keep my fingers crossed that everything this guy is selling isint a total scam. This will most likely be the last raw comic I purchase off of Ebay after this ordeal. I already dealt with a TOS39 that was sent to me and ended up being a different book than pictured. Yes, it was slabbed with same grade, but different ID number and the one I got had a stamp across the cover!!! So I guess people will try and scam on a slabbed book too! sory for the long post. just thought some of you might get a kick out of it.

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie here. Heres a huge potential mistake by me. I am just getting back into collecting comics after about 17 years off €(im only 32 now). I figured I would get all blue label CGC comics of my old silver age favorites since I am not the best judge yet. But this morning, I came across a raw AF15 on Ebay for a great price with some slight trimming on side. It did look a point or so less than advertised, and I dont think to myself as a trim to be much of a restoration since it is taking away rather then adding. (i know CGC does, and I wont argue that) anyways, I bought the book and havent paid yet, but for some reason I decided to look up the sellers name on Yahoo and I came across this thread. I was pretty horrified. I mailed him and asked if there was any other restoration and he says he did a full check and only trimming has been done. I will prolly take it to my local comic shop I used to go to and have them give it a once over just to make sure it isint totally redone. Either way, I'm pumped to get the book I always wanted. So go ahead and make fun of me. I'll keep my fingers crossed that everything this guy is selling isint a total scam. This will most likely be the last raw comic I purchase off of Ebay after this ordeal. I already dealt with a TOS39 that was sent to me and ended up being a different book than pictured. Yes, it was slabbed with same grade, but different ID number and the one I got had a stamp across the cover!!! So I guess people will try and scam on a slabbed book too! sory for the long post. just thought some of you might get a kick out of it.

WTTB (Welcome to the boards). (thumbs u

I don't think anyone will make fun of you in here. We've all had to start somewhere (or even start over for that matter) and I'm sure everyone has made mistakes along the way. Here's hoping you have good luck with the AF 15.

I already dealt with a TOS39 that was sent to me and ended up being a different book than pictured. Yes, it was slabbed with same grade, but different ID number and the one I got had a stamp across the cover!!! So I guess people will try and scam on a slabbed book too! sory for the long post. just thought some of you might get a kick out of it.

Uh-oh. This sounds like it could be the result of a different scam. See the thread about the guy who buys mid-grade Hulk 181's, puts them in slabs for other high-grade books and effectively counterfeits super high-grade Hulk 181's. I'd be interested to know of your TOS39 show the telltale signs of having been similarly counterfeited (like cracks at the edge or bottom of the slab).

Hulk 181: New GPA Low thread

WTTB (Welcome to the boards). (thumbs u

I don't think anyone will make fun of you in here. We've all had to start somewhere (or even start over for that matter) and I'm sure everyone has made mistakes along the way. Here's hoping you have good luck with the AF 15.

WTTB and welcome back to collecting.

No reason to make fun of you, I find it tragic rather than funny that dishonest

sellers are ripping people off. Bijou can't be trusted, cancel the transaction.

Do some reading around here and you will learn what to watch for and who

can be trusted.

My TOS39 was only a 5.0 CGC grade. Even thought the one I received was in a 5.0 CGC case, The book didnt look 5.0 to me.It was a lot more wrinkled and spine didnt look near as nice as the pics and it had a stamp that wasnt in the pics either. The case wasnt cracked, but did look like someone tried to stick a screwdriver or something on the top right slot. (it was just a little scratched up). The guy said he just used a stock photo and apologized. He had no issue taking back the comic and refunding me.

As far as the AF15, There were plenty of pics posted by the seller, and he noted the trimming. I will go through with the transaction and as long as there is no other restorations, and everything looks as it did in the pictures, I will be happy. I will keep you all updated on how it goes.

good to be on this forum. I am learning so much already.

Whew! Glad to hear you got your money back on the TOS39. The whole "stock photo" story sounds REALLY fishy to me, though. If his story is true, he's a sloppy seller. If his story is not true, which I suspect, he got caught trying to scam you and knew that if he took the book back he'd be able to pawn it off on somebody else (rather than facing fraud charges if found out).

If you'd like to send me his eBay user ID and hometown via PM, I'd love to do a little research to see if he's doing anything else that looks shady, or if he looks to be another ID of one of the known scammers out there.

justin53ro if you haven't paid for the comic from this seller yet just walk away and don't pay.

This is not worth the headache because the book will have more resto to it and it will be overgraded.

Just walk away and don't pay the scammer.

justin53ro if you haven't paid for the comic from this seller yet just walk away and don't pay.

This is not worth the headache because the book will have more resto to it and it will be overgraded.

what he said.

what he said.

Seroiusly! Put your money towards an AF15 in a slab or one being sold by someone who doesn't rip people off.

As far as the AF15, There were plenty of pics posted by the seller, and he noted the trimming. I will go through with the transaction and as long as there is no other restorations, and everything looks as it did in the pictures, I will be happy. I will keep you all updated on how it goes.

Two things come to mind.

1. Some people would buy comics from the devil as long as he had the books they wanted.

2. People who purchase from known scammers are supporting their efforts to scam others.

Two things come to mind.

1. Some people would buy comics from the devil as long as he had the books they wanted.

2. People who purchase from known scammers are supporting their efforts to scam others.

(thumbs u

dude, you just got scammed. that book trimmed and prolly with color touch is worth $4K at best. your butthole is gonna hurt for a while. :tonofbricks:

AF15 on eBay

Can you see the big color touch upper spine by the A in amazing,the OP is taking a huge bath on this one. (shrug)

Having been semi-ripped off on a relatively low dollar book from this seller makes me wonder: Every time I see on of their auctions I have to ask myself why they do not invest in a $39 scanner.

Oh...that's right, then people would actually be able to see the book.

They set their image resolution at the exact quality required to hide whatever needs to be hidden. From my ill-fated purchase, I also suspect some additional photoshopping too.

Two things come to mind.

I'm guessing Justin thinks he still got a great deal and thusly wants to complete

the transaction. The only reason I can see to buy from a known scammer who

has private listings and sells raw books using photos rather than scans is greed. It's a gambler's mentality.

Guys,

Thanks for looking out. Torch, Please stop GUESSING what i'm thinking. Let me speak for myself. I do not think im getting a killer deal nor am I greedy. I got all gitty to see my all time favorite comic and bought it without researching as much as I should have. Eagerness + my lack of experience can equal an expensive mistake. Shame on me. I am not sure you can just walk away from a deal on E-bay from buyers remorse. If so, Thats not going to look good on my part. Especially if E-bay doesnt recognize this guy as a scammer. Am I right? Yes, I saw the other 6.5 restored that looks way better for cheaper! yes, that makes me feel pretty cruddy. I am planning on going through with it because thats the process I am supposed to follow. If it was misrepresented, I will send it back. I dont make a butt load of money and I'm not a big fan of wasting money. I am just trying to follow the process that I have started. Again, I appreciate everyone looking out for me on this one though, but I dont see any other options.