• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2011 Registry Awards

424 posts in this topic

Here are my votes for achievement in comic collecting:

-rube11

-sufunk

Both of these guys constantly show off amazing new purchases. They should definitely qualify! (worship)

I think Doc Joe has a good shot.

You must be joking :screwy:

Clearly Jeff (Cheetah) will win, and more importantly SHOULD win.

Thank you, Joe. You are very kind, but there are a lot of incredible collections out there and the GA folks don't get much notice outside the GA forum.

You have some fabulous sets! And don't think I haven't noticed your quick additions and strides made in your Alpha Flight set! lol

-rube11

-sufunk

Both of these guys constantly show off amazing new purchases. They should definitely qualify! (worship)

Thank you, Joe. You are very kind, but there are a lot of incredible collections out there and the GA folks don't get much notice outside the GA forum.

You have some fabulous sets! And don't think I haven't noticed your quick additions and strides made in your Alpha Flight set! lol

Thanks! I just should be getting back another 50+ issues I submitted a few weeks ago. I looked at your set and thought I might have some 9.8 duplicates that might match up with some you are missing.

:hi: Hi Chrylynn

hows things, I forgot about your awesome Alpha Flight set, doh!

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/PeopleSetDetail.aspx?PeopleSetID=20108

I think its great, and great scans etc.

Hope Yankee training is going well ;)

Joe

:hi: Joe

I'm surprised you forgot since you were so kind to hook me up with Stephen! :)

Thank you!

Yankee training still a work in progress, but I'm hopeful!

-rube11

-sufunk

Thanks! I just should be getting back another 50+ issues I submitted a few weeks ago. I looked at your set and thought I might have some 9.8 duplicates that might match up with some you are missing.

:o 50+ - that's fabulous!!

That would be great on the duplicates. I have a few I haven't submitted but would love to entertain the offer to purchase any dups you have.

-rube11

-sufunk

That would be great on the duplicates. I have a few I haven't submitted but would love to entertain the offer to purchase any dups you have.

I'll give you first dibs.

-rube11

-sufunk

I'll give you first dibs.

:cloud9:

Is there like a "Best new Registry"? :wishluck:

Something like that i might actually have a chance at and not get blown out of the water by Jeff, Steve, Joe and a million others! lol

Is there like a "Best new Registry"? :wishluck:

Something like that i might actually have a chance at and not get blown out of the water by Jeff, Steve, Joe and a million others! lol

"Best New Set" in each catagory would be a nice addition! Maybe help get new people interested. And easy to set up a search function I would assume.

I've worked on my new book descriptions at work today and 85% are done(I had light notes on them before). I'll revise my set late April or something. I tried to keep the write-ups short and simple like the movie descriptions in the TV Guide(but not too short), so I wouldn't ruin any surprises. My personal touches from my journals should be the showstoppers anyway. I'll work on adding more pictures this weekend too. I have alot of stuff I want to put in the obverse gallery shots this year(back covers are so zzz sometimes). It should be an entertaining Registry Set even if you aren't a fan of the title. I promise. :grin:

Now what I would like to see is, this...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=195918&Number=4108321#Post4108321

:taptaptap:

I believe it would set a better tone for the intros.

I don't mind discussing the contents of an issue, as a matter of fact, many of my descriptions for comics in my set do contain spoilers. I have tended in more recent issues to shy away from spoiling major developments, but with the way comic continuity flows these days and with an abundance of information available online, why not be a contributor to having a complete picture of a series?

I have always liked what you have done with your Captain America set. The trouble with my set is once one "key" thing is revealed, it ruins the magic a little for the next issue or trade. It feels like every issue is some kind of piece of a great puzzle(and it's still unsolved after 3 years), I rather not mention when a character gets killed or a body/key is discovered in the description. It ruins the suspense if someone is scanning through. I would rather picque their interest. I have hit a brick wall in some of my descriptions where I actually reveal too much. I guess the key to writing them is not to reveal the final 5-10 pages. My 2c

I have always liked what you have done with your Captain America set. The trouble with my set is once one "key" thing is revealed, it ruins the magic a little for the next issue or trade. It feels like every issue is some kind of piece of a great puzzle(and it's still unsolved after 3 years), I rather not mention when a character gets killed or a body/key is discovered in the description. It ruins the suspense if someone is scanning through. I would rather picque their interest. I have hit a brick wall in some of my descriptions where I actually reveal too much. I guess the key to writing them is not to reveal the final 5-10 pages. My 2c

Thanks for those kind words!

Not knowing too much about Locke & Key it was interesting to read your post. And with that in context, I can totally see why you'd want to limit your set descriptions and to not spoil big events.

On another note, I don't know what I'm going to do once the new Cap series by Brubaker starts. Well, I do know what I'm going to do and I probably won't like it very much! I just hope there's no 1:100 variant

On another note, I don't know what I'm going to do once the new Cap series by Brubaker starts. Well, I do know what I'm going to do and I probably won't like it very much! I just hope there's no 1:100 variant
It's a tragedy for a collector like yourself who has worked as hard as you have on the Cap title, to see publisher greed with spin-offs, multiple printings and variants. I picked my title because it didn't really have variants at the time and figured I could invest in Mints book to book. Well, Locke & Key degenerated to variants too, and I found myself struggling to maintain my focus of uber books despite being out of work for a year and a half, my roomate getting sick, a rabies scare, etc... I gave up so much doing this to stay in the hobby and as a silver lining finally broke through the darkness last year with work, I realized I never want to do something like that again.

I feel you on that one. I have had to buy and have graded copies of many variants which I feel were excessive. The trend is very apparent when you look at how many variant covers are in my Cap set including Reborn and the issues from #600 onwards