• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mark Jewelers inserts...
19 19

1,027 posts in this topic

On 5/25/2021 at 6:26 PM, Spyder! said:

I’m not sure if Mark Jewelers inserts made it into all 107 issues of the Star Wars run, but I’m working on collecting as much of the run with inserts as I can. I currently have 21 of them.

Here are a few of my earliest ones with inserts.

C1847BE3-47B8-4112-BA1F-D20242545147.jpeg

D2E730C9-0992-44C2-944B-C136CFAD3211.jpeg

D0B3B7B5-7010-4AB0-988D-DEEA997C9A71.jpeg

60D96937-8D7C-489E-B0D3-BB006195E45E.jpeg

EAECD67C-423D-49B9-B62F-2437F6D0626C.jpeg

819AA1E4-AEB9-4DB3-ABC2-75AD14B8FA91.jpeg

I love how your issue 19 has the little star stamp. I’ve used that spot potential books with inserts...usually stands to be the case if you see it.

8 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

I love how your issue 19 has the little star stamp. I’ve used that spot potential books with inserts...usually stands to be the case if you see it.

very cool.   I have in rare cases seen the star stamp on comic books that should have had the insert, but did not.  There was no evidence that the insert had been pulled out.   Example was JLA 195.   I've seen 2 copies with the insert, and one copy with star stamp and no insert.  Makes me think they ran out of inserts for that issue, or made a mistake at the printer.  

3 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:

very cool.   I have in rare cases seen the star stamp on comic books that should have had the insert, but did not.  There was no evidence that the insert had been pulled out.   Example was JLA 195.   I've seen 2 copies with the insert, and one copy with star stamp and no insert.  Makes me think they ran out of inserts for that issue, or made a mistake at the printer.  

Yeah the history behind the insert is somewhat unclear. I’ve heard people say they were only from overseas, that they were only on bases in the US, that both of these were the case. But I’ve never seen definitive proof. And gets it’s possible comics were sold on a base with stamps that did not have inserts too I suppose. 

57 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Yeah the history behind the insert is somewhat unclear. I’ve heard people say they were only from overseas, that they were only on bases in the US, that both of these were the case. But I’ve never seen definitive proof. And gets it’s possible comics were sold on a base with stamps that did not have inserts too I suppose. 

Keep in mind that it wasn’t unheard of for the inserts to be removed, particularly in order to reduce the space/weight when storing or shipping.

On 5/27/2021 at 4:56 PM, steveinthecity said:

Keep in mind that it wasn’t unheard of for the inserts to be removed, particularly in order to reduce the space/weight when storing or shipping.

Great point.   

On 5/27/2021 at 3:55 PM, comicginger1789 said:

Some guy posted earlier that he bought his comic books originally in a Military PX here in the states, and those comic books contained the insert.   Knowing the military PXs, I can see how someone might have sent comic books destined to go overseas to a store here stateside instead.

18 minutes ago, ganni said:

This ad does not say MJ... still it looks cool

Next year...

Graders will note this as MJ ads variants....

bo10d.jpg

bo10b.jpg

It may be a "national Diamond insert", which rumor is it's not as often found, you may want to look into I

3204755_Full_Obv.jpg

8 hours ago, ganni said:

@ADAMANTIUM National Diamond inserts active were in the 70s.  This is different.  Mark Jewelers and National Diamond Sales were apparently big-time advertising contemporaries to Military Diamond Sales.  Both comics are dated May 1984.

ttt1b.jpg

ttt1a.jpg

Yes, that ad appeared in all DC comics with the cover date of May 1984.  What's fun is finding the same comic books but with the Mark Jeweler insert in addition to what you see above.   I have never seen nor heard of a National Diamond sales insert being placed into a DC comic book (besides a regular ad like you see above).  If anyone can show a National Diamond sales insert on a DC comic book, I would love to see it.

Edited by Cpt Kirk