• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mark Jewelers inserts...
19 19

1,027 posts in this topic

On 2/25/2022 at 7:15 PM, ganni said:

Since 78', how many times have you been rebagging and reboarding?

Thanks for asking. These issues would've been purchased between 1985 and 1990, when my hobby was in it's infancy.

All these comics were in bags three decades old or more. Except for 5 short boxes of keys, that's true for a large part of my collection. My collection is long overdue for some archival upkeeping.

On 2/27/2022 at 8:58 PM, ganni said:

NBS? Navy bookstore? usnabooks?

asm228.thumb.jpg.eb18e64f28fc2ebb70e879c8f0f88fab.jpg

asm228a.thumb.jpg.49e10bceab5644430a10245c41d8e2a5.jpg

asm228b.thumb.jpg.ce4db13cf10dc8b5442e5382b894fbe2.jpg

I've never seen this stamp on more than 1,000 jeweler variants.   So I don't know.   But here's another theory.   There are reprints of Batman 237 and 241 listed on Mile High Comics website (none in stock).   Many years ago both reprints were called "National Book Store" variants on the Mile High website many.   I assumed that "National Book Store" was just a second-hand store like Goodwill or some other second hand shop.   So this stamp could belong to "National Book Store"... in other words, the second hand retailer.    The Batman 237 reprint is now called "Goodwill".   Per Jerome Wenker (one of the godfathers of variant collecting) these Batman reprints were made for the Philippines.   Since Jewelers were mostly sold in military PXs, I wonder if that has something to do with it.

p.s.  I love @Get Marwood & I's cat.  Maybe he has the answer but just won't say.

Edited by Cpt Kirk

On 3/1/2022 at 5:55 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

If it does stand for National Book Store, then the "-ALI" may be...

The National Book Store located in Quezon City, Philippines as it is located in the Ali Mall. 

Nicely done. 

On 3/1/2022 at 9:54 AM, ganni said:

Then the Ali mall branch is the only National Bookstore that stamps the comic books.

Maybe they stamped the UPC area to invalidate the barcode?