• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mark Jewelers inserts...
19 19

1,034 posts in this topic

On 4/23/2023 at 7:10 PM, Efrew said:

That’s very cool….and creepy. On GPAanalysis, is there a flag for MJI so it’s easy to find? Or do you need to go through the detail?!

Looked at my purchase and it’s indeed a 2019 purchase at around that price…

Yep. At least it's more info than CGC gives you in their census...

I go to each book, then use the "find" feature in my browser(with "mark jewelers" as the search term) to make it slightly easier. I did that through the Amazing Spider-Man title to make a spreadsheet on how many of specific issues had MJIs and double covers...surprisingly, CGC MJIs are nearly as hard to find as double covers! Probably because MJI copies were way less likely to be cherished than a rare error.

On 4/25/2023 at 1:50 AM, trademarkcomics said:

Yep. At least it's more info than CGC gives you in their census...

I go to each book, then use the "find" feature in my browser(with "mark jewelers" as the search term) to make it slightly easier. I did that through the Amazing Spider-Man title to make a spreadsheet on how many of specific issues had MJIs and double covers...surprisingly, CGC MJIs are nearly as hard to find as double covers! Probably because MJI copies were way less likely to be cherished than a rare error.

Ah. This is more like hard cord research! Good job. You might have some of the best research in MJI in the world.

I’ve always suspected MJI was something like 1-3% of the population for 70s comics. At high grade, <0.5% as it must have been hard to keep comics clean when stationed overseas. Been trying to find high grade key comics with MJI/Diamond for years, but so far, just the ASM129, a XM94 in 8.0 and an Iron Man 55 in 5.0.

On 4/24/2023 at 5:15 PM, Efrew said:

Ah. This is more like hard cord research! Good job. You might have some of the best research in MJI in the world.

I’ve always suspected MJI was something like 1-3% of the population for 70s comics. At high grade, <0.5% as it must have been hard to keep comics clean when stationed overseas. Been trying to find high grade key comics with MJI/Diamond for years, but so far, just the ASM129, a XM94 in 8.0 and an Iron Man 55 in 5.0.

Thank for the compliment, I am actually rather new on the MJI kick compared to some of the other users on here, but I'm a fast learner and a bit OCD :roflmao:.  As far as my best MJI/Diamond issues, I have ASM 97 in 9.0, 100 in 8.5, 101 in 6.0, 122 in 8.0, 194 in 9.2, 238 in 9.4 and 252 in 9.0. My highest graded MJI issue is X-Men #191 with the Bose wrap as well in 9.8. 

On 4/25/2023 at 11:53 AM, trademarkcomics said:

Thank for the compliment, I am actually rather new on the MJI kick compared to some of the other users on here, but I'm a fast learner and a bit OCD :roflmao:.  As far as my best MJI/Diamond issues, I have ASM 97 in 9.0, 100 in 8.5, 101 in 6.0, 122 in 8.0, 194 in 9.2, 238 in 9.4 and 252 in 9.0. My highest graded MJI issue is X-Men #191 with the Bose wrap as well in 9.8. 

That’s a very nice collection. 101 diamond isn’t easy to find. And 122, 194, 238 and 252! Didn’t even know 238 had a MJI! 

been trying to find a decent IH181 too but those seem super rare

On my eBay personal ID, I had someone attempt to "school" me on Mark Jewelers after he thought he had purchased a "double insert" from me. I advertised a NDS on auction with Mark Jewelers in the title so it would be seen in search results by more people(yeah, yeah sue me). He won it under the assumption that it had both inserts even though I did not say so in the description or showed it in the pictures I provided. I informed him that a book with both NDS and MJI inserts is quite impossible, to which he dropped his knowledge that MJIs have been around since "1968" and that double NDS/MJI inserts, while rare, occurred.

monty1.gif.88b4573d937548b3514710c0c8932d14.gif

Then once he got the book, he informed me that it was indeed a "double insert" like he thought.

kirknotagain.gif.9a52f20b2600893266d9e1c606a63f65.gif

Then a few hours later he proceeds to file a return with eBay stating "I do not believe this is a Mark Jewelers".

ashpassout.gif.9b081fa9e064d8bac5bc97d2081c572a.gif

Edited by trademarkcomics