• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 227 the "key" Neal Adams Batman book to have?
4 4

2,411 posts in this topic

Still bummed over two years later, as I the final underbidder on all of the #227 interior OA (the full story was sold intact at Doyle in November 2011). I know we all talk about the throwback Adams cover, with the cruel joke being the interior by Novick/Giordano as not very significant or special by any means.

I even went to the preview to look at it, and the woman seemed annoyed I was taking up premium counter space flipping through the pages...in the catalogue, they even called it a "curiousity", since they never do comic OA.

Always exciting as we approach 2/27 and the tribute parade of #227s come out on this thread, but that miss still stings.

Well, to be fair, it used to be the reverse (sort of). 227 was reprinted in Limited Collectors Edition C-59 and DC excluded the cover from the book entirely.

Still bummed over two years later, as I the final underbidder on all of the #227 interior OA (the full story was sold intact at Doyle in November 2011). I know we all talk about the throwback Adams cover, with the cruel joke being the interior by Novick/Giordano as not very significant or special by any means.

I even went to the preview to look at it, and the woman seemed annoyed I was taking up premium counter space flipping through the pages...in the catalogue, they even called it a "curiousity", since they never do comic OA.

Always exciting as we approach 2/27 and the tribute parade of #227s come out on this thread, but that miss still stings.

Well, to be fair, it used to be the reverse (sort of). 227 was reprinted in Limited Collectors Edition C-59 and DC excluded the cover from the book entirely.

Brian48,

why do you think DC Comics never did a reprint or Millenium Edition of these hot Adams books? i mean, they could sell copies and make money.

They have lots of Millenium Edtions and even Justice League #1(1987) which makes no sense (shrug)

Love your BB85, I just picked up a Finland Edition I love that cover :cloud9:

I can totally understand that. I love the interior for 227 - it's some of Novick's best Bat-work, imo. I remember seeing it all up on ebay not that long ago for like 20k. :eyeroll:

Very much looking forward to the parade on 2/27. :grin:

why do you think DC Comics never did a reprint or Millenium Edition of these hot Adams books? i mean, they could sell copies and make money.

Because for the majority of them, all they are is "kewl covers" and no one wants to see all the meager internals reprinted.

These Adams books match perfect with a "never open the book again" CGC world, but don't confuse that with actually reprinting the *entire* book.

I can totally understand that. I love the interior for 227 - it's some of Novick's best Bat-work, imo. I remember seeing it all up on ebay not that long ago for like 20k. :eyeroll:

Very much looking forward to the parade on 2/27. :grin:

Im very much looking for to the 2/27 parade as well. Looks like i have 28 page countdown to find my grail: The Australian Batman 227 (worship)

if anybody finds this $2 book and wants to make $998 profit give me a ring :luhv:

The Doyle auction for the 227 interior pages ended at at a hammer price of $10k in 2011. With auctioneer premium and NYC taxes, final invoice price would have been just under $13k. So if you were someone looking to get a 40% investment return over two years (after ebay fees). I suppose $20k is the price you would need to get there.

The Doyle auction for the 227 interior pages ended at at a hammer price of $10k in 2011. With auctioneer premium and NYC taxes, final invoice price would have been just under $13k. So if you were someone looking to get a 40% investment return over two years (after ebay fees). I suppose $20k is the price you would need to get there.

I suppose you're right. I guess I'm looking at it as someone who would have wanted to own and keep them in my own collection, not to make money on.

Which LCE issue has the Batman #232 cover take on it? I have not owned a copy for a bit. That is a cool wraparound cover and reprints the great early Ra's stories.

Edited by kimik

Which LCE issue has the Batman #232 cover take on it? I have not owned a copy for a bit. That is a cool wraparound cover and reprints the great early Ra's stories.

C-51 (thumbs u

Is a better investment to buy a 227 mid grade 6.5-7.5 or go higher 8.0 and up?

:D Then do it like this:

Is it a better investment to buy a 227 mid grade 6.5-7.5 or go higher 8.0 and up? (thumbs u

Will do next time (thumbs u ....

Brian48,

They have lots of Millenium Edtions and even Justice League #1(1987) which makes no sense (shrug)

Was lucky to get it relatively cheap before the show took off.

RAD2E95D2011816_10926.jpg

Brian48,

Was lucky to get it relatively cheap before the show took off.

RAD2E95D2011816_10926.jpg

(worship)(worship)(worship) (worship) (worship)(worship)