• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 227 the "key" Neal Adams Batman book to have?
4 4

2,411 posts in this topic

Went to my LCS today and saw three Batman 227's. Someone must've brought in his stash to commission. Nice stuff.

What are the grades and prices?

Went back today and looked at them.

I'd call them:

VG/F to F- @ $125

F @ $150 (would be extra sharp if not for CBC on top and bottom front corners)

VF-/VF @ 175

same with GL 76, I do no think it is wise to chase 9.6 to 9.8 slabs of any of these books...who knows what they will be worth 5 years from now but prices have declined steadily for both books over the past 5 years. No doubt there are a few more copies in census for both but it is far from "common as dirt" as far as 9.6 to 9.8 but I am sure some with chime in with that reasoning. Even the uber hot Iron Man 55 took a beating yesterday...ouch.....all of this with the pump of Avengers movies to come for Thanos.

p.s. I don't have GPA so I am just guessing IM 55 is cooling based on that price for the 9.6....not sure if that is an outlier.

Edited by etanick

Heh. I am so happy I didn't win that Twin Cities Tec 395 over at HA a couple of years ago. I was bidding heavy on testosterone and would have well overpaid for it. Price took a nose dive this time around over at HA.

I did thought the Bats 222 came down a bit too.

I think the trajectory for 9.6 and 9.8 bronze slabs in general is downward with the exception of a few "hot" books here and there due to movie and TV hypes but I vouched to not buy any more 9.6 and 9.8 slabs since 2012 and I am thankful for leaving this part of the hobby behind for good.

Heh. I am so happy I didn't win that Twin Cities Tec 395 over at HA a couple of years ago. I was bidding heavy on testosterone and would have well overpaid for it. Price took a nose dive this time around over at HA.

I was surprised at the price of the 395. Hopefully I can nab a cheaper 9.2 copy soon. :wishluck:

Its taken a few years and I think the DCs are a little more insulated than their Marvel counterparts due to rarity in HG; the census numbers have and will continue to swell for BA 9.8s, with pressing and new books coming to market. I think many collectors were their own worst enemy and convinced themselves that BA books in 9.8 were rare. I know I marveled at some of the 9.8 books, but as the parade continued the sheen has definitely worn off.

I was surprised at the price of the 395. Hopefully I can nab a cheaper 9.2 copy soon. :wishluck:

The only surprising thing about that book was what it went for the first time. Book is overgraded by at least .2

same with GL 76, I do no think it is wise to chase 9.6 to 9.8 slabs of any of these books...who knows what they will be worth 5 years from now but prices have declined steadily for both books over the past 5 years. No doubt there are a few more copies in census for both but it is far from "common as dirt" as far as 9.6 to 9.8 but I am sure some with chime in with that reasoning. Even the uber hot Iron Man 55 took a beating yesterday...ouch.....all of this with the pump of Avengers movies to come for Thanos.

p.s. I don't have GPA so I am just guessing IM 55 is cooling based on that price for the 9.6....not sure if that is an outlier.

I love getting a beauty 9.2-9.4 bronze book,seems to hold value better than their 9.6/9.8 counterparts. (thumbs u

yup...I collect mostly 9.2 and 9.4 bronze since I rid my desire for slabs...no need to pay 3x more with slabs....even if I have money to burn, I enjoy flipping thru the books too much to go back to plastic collecting.

Adams Bats over at CL in general are doing especially well tonight. Haven't seen a spike like this in a little while. I was hoping to upgrade a few books, but I'm way out of the running now.

Just under 48 hours until the 2/27 Parade. gallery.gif

Make sure you scan your copy and join in the fun!

The 9.8 which looked all the business IMO went for $3,633 = the descent continues as that is a GPA low, though only 5 sales recorded.

Edited by jbud73

3,633 the descent continues.

What am I missing? :blush:

Sorry I edited my post to be more descriptive. The Batman 227 auctioned just now on comiclink hammered for $3,633 which I believe to be a record low at open auction.

3,633 the descent continues.

What am I missing? :blush:

Sorry I edited my post to be more descriptive. The Batman 227 auctioned just now on comiclink hammered for $3,633 which I believe to be a record low at open auction.

Ahh no problems, I thought it might be something like that.

Wow, $3600 for a 9.8. The descent does continue.