• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tth2's trip down memory lane

587 posts in this topic

I apologize if the narrative has been a bit boring lately. Most of the Flashes came from one collector and they're Western Penns so there are only so many things one can say about them.

So a bit of a change today, as not only are the books not Western Penns, but it's 2 pedigrees for the price of one--one issue that is.

First up is the White Mountain Flash #131. It's still the only WM Flash I recall seeing. If it's true that the WM owner only collected DCs with sci-fi themed covers, which was not too common with Flash, that may explain the paucity of WM Flashes.

Anyways, now we have the Pacific Coast Flash #131, which graded out a bit higher than the WM copy. I have to say this was a classic case of bottom fishing, as it was auctioned by Heritage in August 2006 and I won it with a "wishin' and hopin' bid" that I never expected to win, since I was planning on auctioning off my Flashes in the November 2006 auction. But win it I did, and very happy I was, particularly when I was able to sell the WM 9.4 copy for about the same price I paid for the PC 9.6 copy.

flash131pc.jpg

my word the whites on the PC #131 are blinding. btw, i've got WM Flash #125 and #138, so they are out there.

my word the whites on the PC #131 are blinding.

Well, it's not quite that right. The appearance of the books is determined to some extent by the scans, and in the case of the PC #131, I was working off a Heritage scan where Heritage had cranked up the brightness.

btw, i've got WM Flash #125 and #138, so they are out there.

Holding out on me! :taptaptap:

I would like to nominate this as best thread of 2011. Can't wait to see the rest of the books. (thumbs u

Thanks!

I'm sure this thread would get more kudos if it were called "tth2's trip down Spider-Man memory lane".

I would like to nominate this as best thread of 2011. Can't wait to see the rest of the books. (thumbs u

Thanks!

I'm sure this thread would get more kudos if it were called "tth2's trip down Spider-Man memory lane".

Not from me. If I want that thread I can just look in any random CLink auction. doh!

my word the whites on the PC #131 are blinding.

Well, it's not quite that right. The appearance of the books is determined to some extent by the scans, and in the case of the PC #131, I was working off a Heritage scan where Heritage had cranked up the brightness.

btw, i've got WM Flash #125 and #138, so they are out there.

Holding out on me! :taptaptap:

That doesn't always work to their advantage. Looking at the PC and WM copies of 131, the WM color strike APPEARS to be much, much, richer. If the 2 books were really as represented in the scans, I would have preferred the lower grade WM copy. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Western Penn FL 131 was a 9.0, a very, very nice 9.0 at that. I know, I know scan required (no I don't own it anymore).

Thanks Eric! (thumbs u

I have it now. It's cracked out :o and in mylar. I kinda wish the PQ was better, but the cover looks great!

Excellent! It's always good to know where books are, and particularly that they're in the safe hands of a boardie.

Thanks!

Not from me. If I want that thread I can just look in any random CLink auction. doh!

lol

After our brief detour, it's back to the Western Penns, with just 3 left. In my opinion, this is where Western Penn really has it over Pacific Coast, because the PCs just don't go back this far consistently in NM.

Here's #129, a perennial favorite. It's in a new label because I did resub it to see if I could get an upgrade of the PQ from cream to off-white, which I did. Every Western Penn old label with C-OW pages that I've ever resubbed came back with higher PQ.

For the longest time this book was the only 9.4 in the Census, then one other 9.4 appeared around the time I sold this copy, and since then the population of high grade copies has exploded. The Census now shows 2 9.8s, 4 9.6s and 8 9.4s. Even accounting for pressing and some duplicates in those numbers, that's still pretty amazing for a book from 1962. I guess I should be happy I got out before it became the Hulk 181 of the SA DC set. The good news is that I believe this book has now returned back to Tom Hanlin's collection, where it (sort of) began its journey.

flash129.jpg

The next book is a bit of a tragedy. It used to be a 9.4 with C-OW pages, but when I received it, the tip of the upper right corner of the front cover was caught in the inner seal of the slab. In connection with listing it on Heritage, I resubbed it to CGC to see if I could get the dreaded "cream" designation removed, but unfortunately in the course of being shipped the rest of the book settled downwards while the corner stayed where it was, thus tearing off. As a result, CGC downgraded it to 9.0 (but upgraded the PQ :P ). CGC and Steve Borock were absolutely great during this process, immediately acknowledging without any prompting from me that the sealing of the book too close to the edges of the inner well had caused the damage, and they made up to me the difference between what the book actually sold for and our agreed estimate on what it would've sold for had it stayed a 9.4. I think it worked out okay for them because even in 9.0 it ended up going for a very healthy price.

A real shame, because this book with its green cover is positively luminescent in person.

This is also another book where for the longest time the Western Penn copy was all by itself at the top of the Census, and then since its sale in November 2006, the floodgates opened on high grade copies. It seemed at one point that Heritage was selling a 9.4 copy every week in its weekly auction. The current Census shows 2 in 9.6 and 8 in 9.4, which is truly staggering. Those are ASM type numbers!

flash127.jpg

Thanks!

Great books. Great thread and it is nice to read the commentary that goes along with the books. :applause:

Needs more Spider-man though. Let's see if you can MANNUP.

:baiting:

The Gorilla Grodd appearances are my favorite Flash stories. I think Infantino enjoyed drawing the gorillas.

flash127.jpg

The last Western Penn (both of the Flashes and also in this thread, as none of the GLs or JLAs that I'll be showing next are Western Penns). This book was also a resub from an old label with cream to off-white pages, which successfully got rid of that pesky "cream" designation.

flash126.jpg

There was one other lower numbered Western Penn Flash in 9.4, the #123, but Tom didn't sell it to the guy I bought these from, and I was unable to pry it from Tom's hands in private negotiations. I ended up being the underbidder when he eventually listed it on Heritage, so I guess it was just a book that I was destined to never own. :( I believe one of the other lower numbered Western Penns eventually got resubbed into a 9.4. All in all, I think it's safe to say that it was a killer run.

The next book is Flash #120, which is one of my favorites. I also purchased it from the same collector that all of the Western Penns came from. Besides being an impossible book to find in NM, I really like the cover. The fact that the reflectivity and gloss of this particular book are particularly superb doesn't hurt either!

flash120.jpg

First up is the White Mountain Flash #131.

flash131-1.jpg

I find CGC's label comments here to be rather odd as these are the signature indicators for a White Mountain pedigree book.

I wonder if CGC also put similar type label comments on the Edgar Church slabs which had the signature indicators for a Church pedigree book? hm