• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tth2's trip down memory lane

587 posts in this topic

Tim,

Those Flash issues so far are incredible - tell me, did you ever collect the GA Flash issues at all?

Brad

Based on this post in the General Forum, I'm guessing, no. :eyeroll:

I find it odd Green Lantern & Flash key books in Silver Age seem more in demand

than their 1st appearance Golden Age. Even Green Lantern 76 from the bronze age.

This could be more collectors are in touch with the artist from the Silver & Bronze

age.

GA Flash and GL featured some of the most atrocious cover art in the history of mankind. There are some MH and SF copies of various books in the runs where I have to admire the books through gritted teeth because the covers are so bad.

Back to crazy mindblowing books, here's #145. Not much to say, really.

flash145.jpg

Those Western Penn books are unbelievable! I would not have guessed that Flash 9.8s from 1964 even existed. How did the Western Penn fellow store his books?

???

Tim,

Those Flash issues so far are incredible - tell me, did you ever collect the GA Flash issues at all?

Brad

Thanks Brad, and nice to see you on the boards!

No, I'm really not a fan of most GA superhero comics, and particularly not a fan of the GA Flash because of its atrocious cover art. Some of the issues had decent covers that featured Hawkman, as they were usually done by Sheldon Moldoff and later on by a very young Joe Kubert.

Did you ever own a Flash #105? If so what grade and do you have a picture of it?

Nope, have actually never owned a copy of Flash below 111. I'm really not a completist. When I was in my buying days, the only 9.4 Flash 105 that existed was a cleaned and pressed former 9.2, so I passed on it.

Tim,

Brad

Based on this post in the General Forum, I'm guessing, no. :eyeroll:

I find it odd Green Lantern & Flash key books in Silver Age seem more in demand

than their 1st appearance Golden Age. Even Green Lantern 76 from the bronze age.

This could be more collectors are in touch with the artist from the Silver & Bronze

age.

GA Flash and GL featured some of the most atrocious cover art in the history of mankind. There are some MH and SF copies of various books in the runs where I have to admire the books through gritted teeth because the covers are so bad.

lol You know me too well!

Those Western Penn books are unbelievable! I would not have guessed that Flash 9.8s from 1964 even existed. How did the Western Penn fellow store his books?

???

Very carefully, I guess (ba-dum ksh!)

Like most well preserved collections, they were assembled by an adult and not a kid. I think in the case of the WP collection, the OO and his father were both collectors.

Did you ever own a Flash #105? If so what grade and do you have a picture of it?

Nope, have actually never owned a copy of Flash below 111. I'm really an elitest.

Fixed it for you. :shy:

Nope, have actually never owned a copy of Flash below 111. I'm really an elitest.

How did Roy get control of your board account? ???

???

Very carefully, I guess (ba-dum ksh!)

Like most well preserved collections, they were assembled by an adult and not a kid. I think in the case of the WP collection, the OO and his father were both collectors.

In laundry bags alternating the spines.

What's really striking to me, besides the fabulous condition of the Western Penn Flashes, is the great colors on the early Flash covers. I love the subtle colors, which are especially vibrant with the Western Penns. :cloud9:

Here's the first non-Western Penn in a while. The Western Penn copy of #144 was a 9.4, and was part of the run that I purchased. However, I traded it to Mark Wilson to get the below non-pedigree 9.6 copy. Unfortunately I haven't been able to turn up a scan of the WP copy to show alongside this one.

flash144.jpg

Going back to Western Penns and great colors, this is a lovely book with a pastel background.

flash142.jpg

Before moving on to the F's, I'm posting 2 books that would otherwise be isolated if I just stuck to alphabetical order.

First up is the previously referenced Aquaman #1. Purchased from Ronnie Murray but brokered through Steve Lauterbach. I was nice to Steve because I had heard from other sources that Ronnie had the book at San Diego and could have gone directly to Ronnie, but since Steve was the first to bring it to my attention, I made the purchase through him. According to Ronnie, the book came from a little old Chinese lady in Millbrae, California, who was also the source of some amazing early Flash which I'll be posting soon.

Even though Ronnie was asking a very aggressive price for the book, I was happy to pay it because it was still well south of the $20K that Robert Roter was demanding at the time for the PC copy, which was a 9.4. :screwy:

aquaman1nm96oww.jpg

The second book is a Showcase #38, and I guess the theme for today is Steve Lauterbach since this book was purchased from him off eBay, I believe. This is very possibly the nicest 9.8 I've ever owned. It is truly immaculate and the gloss and eye appeal of the red cover is simply amazing.

The Metal Men run in Showcase is incredibly difficult to find in NM or better. #38 is relatively easy compared to the other issues, with the conjecture being that it was included in a 3-pack, but even then it's not super common in NM.

showcase38-1.jpg

I remember Ronnie coming over to my house with some books a few days after he bought that Aquaman 1. We both thought it was a lock for a 9.4 and a possible 9.6, it was such a pretty book in all its raw glory. :cloud9:

Here's the first non-Western Penn in a while. The Western Penn copy of #144 was a 9.4, and was part of the run that I purchased. However, I traded it to Mark Wilson to get the below non-pedigree 9.6 copy. Unfortunately I haven't been able to turn up a scan of the WP copy to show alongside this one.

flash144.jpg

This issue is my top five. I guess I should get a scan done and post it. I think the 9.6 is better than the WP in this case. What a beautiful book.

Nope, have actually never owned a copy of Flash below 111. I'm really not a completist. When I was in my buying days, the only 9.4 Flash 105 that existed was a cleaned and pressed former 9.2, so I passed on it.

Don't blame you one iota, Tim. The appeal of a known manufactured grade is displeasing to the

discerning collector who embraces the example that defeated the patina of time without the help

of manipulation to enhance aesthetic appearance and conditional grade. (thumbs u

Don't blame you one iota, Tim. The appeal of a known manufactured grade is displeasing to the

discerning collector who embraces the example that defeated the patina of time without the help

of manipulation to enhance aesthetic appearance and conditional grade. (thumbs u

Couldn't have said it better myself. If all I cared was how good a book looked, without caring how it got that way, I would just buy low grade coverless copies and stick a glossy photocopied and photoshopped mint cover on top. If I'm going to "cheat", I might as well cheat all the way.

flash144.jpg

Going back to Western Penns and great colors, this is a lovely book with a pastel background.

flash142.jpg

These books are just amazing. It's like going back in time and picking the best copy off the stands. Keep them coming.

How did Roy get control of your board account? ???

There's probably a joke in there but it went right over my head. :P