• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tth2's trip down memory lane

587 posts in this topic

I've always been partial to Flash #137 myself - Tim where's your #137?

The WP is a 9.4 and the PC is a 9.6. Rube owned the PC and it looked to be a smoker. I have never seen the WP. I wonder if it is close.

I've always been partial to Flash #137 myself - Tim where's your #137?

The WP is a 9.4 and the PC is a 9.6. Rube owned the PC and it looked to be a smoker. I have never seen the WP. I wonder if it is close.

The WP is indeed a 9.4. The PC and Mass copies are both 9.6s, and both really nice.

Did you ever own a Flash #105? If so what grade and do you have a picture of it?

Nope, have actually never owned a copy of Flash below 111. I'm really an elitest.

Fixed it for you. :shy:

How did Roy get control of your board account? ???

There's probably a joke in there but it went right over my head. :P

Roy always accuses me of being an elitist. :gossip:

Sorry Tim,

I didn't realize you were counting them down.

I actually have a 137 into cgc for grading at the moment. I bought it back just before the Flash TV series premiered about 20 yrs ago and I'm curious as to what grade it will get.

I'm expecting it back from cgc sometime in mid October.

Did you ever own a Flash #105? If so what grade and do you have a picture of it?

Nope, have actually never owned a copy of Flash below 111. I'm really not a completist. When I was in my buying days, the only 9.4 Flash 105 that existed was a cleaned and pressed former 9.2, so I passed on it.

Don't blame you one iota, Tim. The appeal of a known manufactured grade is displeasing to the

discerning collector who embraces the example that defeated the patina of time without the help

of manipulation to enhance aesthetic appearance and conditional grade. (thumbs u

Yes, I am also in total admiration of Tim's integrity and stance on the artifical improvement of books. (thumbs u

This is why I find it a bit puzzling to hear him buying books from Steve Lauterbach who was supposedly one of the "first ones" to the pressing trough even before it was a whisper in the marketplace. Of course, Steve was also notorious for non-disclosure which could explain everything as these purchases appears to be very early on.

Nope, have actually never owned a copy of Flash below 111. I'm really not a completist. When I was in my buying days, the only 9.4 Flash 105 that existed was a cleaned and pressed former 9.2, so I passed on it.

Don't blame you one iota, Tim. The appeal of a known manufactured grade is displeasing to the

discerning collector who embraces the example that defeated the patina of time without the help

of manipulation to enhance aesthetic appearance and conditional grade. (thumbs u

Yes, I am also in total admiration of Tim's integrity and stance on the artifical improvement of books. (thumbs u

This is why I find it a bit puzzling to hear him buying books from Steve Lauterbach who was supposedly one of the "first ones" to the pressing trough even before it was a whisper in the marketplace. Of course, Steve was also notorious for non-disclosure which could explain everything as these purchases appears to be very early on.

The purchases from Steve were before I ever heard of pressing.

I had assumed as much.

There was a lot of speculation as to what was going on and who was doing what.

Until real-life examples of manipulation (all forms) were uncovered did the speculation turn to realization.

I had assumed as much.

Until real-life examples of manipulation (all forms) were uncovered did the speculation turn to realization.

It is so good to hear that Tim had none of those horribly tainted monstrosities. The idea of his immaculate collection being sullied, well it just sickens me.

BTW, beautiful books Tim (thumbs u

I had assumed as much.

Until I joined these boards, I wasn't even speculating about pressing! I flat out had no idea that CGC was allowing books to be manipulated without labeling them as restored. I had submitted an X-Men #1 in early 2002 which came back as a "cleaned and pressed" PLOD, so to my naive and simplistic mind CGC were therefore saying pressing=restoration. Only later did I learn about the distinctions that CGC was drawing between dry pressing and wet pressing.

Getting away from the pressing discussions, let's wrap up the 140s.

First up is Flash #141, which in my opinion is the second toughest of the later Flash issues to find in NM or better. The Western Penn #141 is still the only 9.6 copy and for a long time was the only issue higher than 9.2.

The toughest of the later issues, in my opinion, is #143. Even the Western Penn copy of #143 was below 9.4. There is now a 9.6 #143 and 2 9.4s in the Census (same as #141), but they all emerged only in recent years.

flash141-1.jpg

Our last of the 140s is #140, featuring one of those great green Captain Cold covers. One of the more dramatic covers of the run, drawn by Murphy Anderson rather than Carmine Infantino.

flash140.jpg

140 is an Infantion/Anderson production -- must be a labeling error by CGC. Anytime you use the word "dramatic" to describe the cover you know someone other than Anderson penciled it.

I'm not overly thrilled with how it's colored by the original art would be killer!

Getting away from the pressing discussions, let's wrap up the 140s.

Our last of the 140s is #140, featuring one of those great green Captain Cold covers. One of the more dramatic covers of the run, drawn by Murphy Anderson rather than Carmine Infantino.

flash140.jpg

140 is an Infantion/Anderson production -- must be a labeling error by CGC. Anytime you use the word "dramatic" to describe the cover you know someone other than Anderson penciled it.

I'm not overly thrilled with how it's colored by the original art would be killer!

It looks more Anderson than Infantino to me. And I like the coloring! :sumo:

Dagnabbit, Tim... Stop posting these god-forsaken (awesome) books!

Brand Echh is, and forever will be, inferior to the those drawn the Marvel Way.

You think you're gonna convert the stalwarts of Marveldom, don't you?!?

Well keep trying, you pimp of pulp paper you. We will never surrender!

And with that I say to you... Make Mine Marvel -- Forever! :sumo:

It looks more Anderson than Infantino to me.

It looks more like an Anderson than an Infantino to me as well. Nonetheless, the cover pencils for #140 are attributed to Infantino and the cover inks to Anderson by DC in Flash Archives 5. Amazing Mike agrees in his DC Database.

(shrug)