• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Threatening PM's.
3 3

767 posts in this topic

Cal,

Your idea is a good one, but not at $500-$700 -- that's really cost prohibitive, and too many people would just move somewhere else to have the same discussions.

Now, if you made a requirement for registration being an associate member of the collector's society, that I could see. There has to be a benefit beyond simply posting here. Providing the services of the collector's society is probably a good idea.

But in principle, I think your idea is a really good one.

Thank you for your mature voice of reason.

Sorry for my rant above, and you are one of the old-times that saw what some of us endured here, unneedlessly.

I am working on that proposal next week when I make more time

serious CAL :busy:

I agree that a small membership fee would cull some problem people, and the ones that do stay would be very much traceable via credit card on file.

I cant think of a good reason for a $500 - $700 annual membership like Cal would like, unless there was a serious goody bag of free submit vouchers, a hefty bag of mylar from the CGC receiving room (what do they do w/all that mylar from submissions?) and a meet and greet with Batman.

Here is an idea. Cal, why don't you start your own forum?

You can charge whatever you like for people to participate. You can set the tone and dictate the rules.

Seems like a much simplier solution. Let the "free market of ideas" flow. Those who wish to follow you to your new fourm can do so.

I agree that a small membership fee would cull some problem people, and the ones that do stay would be very much traceable via credit card on file.

I cant think of a good reason for a $500 - $700 annual membership like Cal would like, unless there was a serious goody bag of free submit vouchers, a hefty bag of mylar from the CGC receiving room (what do they do w/all that mylar from submissions?) and a meet and greet with Batman.

How about 5 submissions per year via that membership fee? Along with Discounts to ALL the Major Cons all over the US and Canada?

The mind can conjure wonders when it is opened properly

CAL who admires Napoleon as his favorite Historical Figure

Ide pay to join..Even if it was a small amount, that would detour most people that just get on here to harass others.

I would be willing to pay in the range of $500 - 700 per year to post here. I am very sure, 99.99% sure, that if it cost that much to be here with purpose of partaking of the CGC services, I would not get flamed at all. I would not be insulted, cursed at, mocked, ridiculed, or anything negative. Heck, I would spend much more time here and it would be great to treated well, instead of defending and watching my every character typed. Respect does wonders, the nay-sayers and haters could learn from that one, now-obsolete-in-modern-times-word: RESPECT.

The anti-cgcers do NOT respect the company, they do NOT respect the Dealers here, they do NOT respect those who try to keep the peace here; they choose sides, and await anonymously to take their shots. You all know they do.

One of the best pieces of advice my Father ever gave me was: " You are judged by the company you keep". When I see certain Boardies defend those who are extremely disrespectful, that tells me a lot of the entire story, andf combine that with their ACTUAL BUSINESS PRACTICES, particularly eBay( like it or not, eBay IS the largest venue where the comics are traded), I easliy figured out who was who. Sure, a few of the anti-CGCers trade bits and pieces, but there are no Major Dealers that ever got on here and defamed other dealers that I know of. I receieved many a PM from those who would defend xyz, having the unmitigated gall and nerve( this is what the Internet's current anonymous usage downfall will be) to tell me that xyz is " a great guy once you get to know him, she is not that way, she just had a bad day, yadda yadda".

This is the bottom line:

If you can't afford pricey funny books, get another hobby. I saw someone post recently, this chap apparently did not like my idea about the paid membership, " I can't afford it". How is his not being able to afford it my problem? Designer Toast posts: " I never had anyone send ME a Threatening PM"... Designer Toast was not around in the beginning of the grading era, where most of the arrows were shot from the trolls'/Anti-CGCers' bows. Designer Toast is NOT a Major Dealer, or if he is, he is the best kept-dealer I wished someone told me about( he is a great guy all-in all).

Another posts somethig about "getting young readers in here" or something close to this. This CGC site is about the ALREADY FINISHED PRODUCTS from several decades ago. It was THEIR job( the publishers) to win readership and the benefits of hand-me-down the great Americana culture that is comic books. Not CGC's job, nor is it our job. If they truly love this hoby like many here SAY they do, they will naturally find this place just like a Beatles fan can still find Beatles items on other sites.

The REAL reason a paid-membership would add credibility and stop the anonymous garbage that goes on here: the credit card has Identity attached to it.

Then SKY posts: " Oh my - someone could steal my credit card and still post anonymously". Sorry SKY, you have woven your way very well here and have many ears here but your post smacks of another lame cop-out; does not pass the smell test. You have already excluded my ideas and my REASONS for my ideas for other purposes; you are not willing to give this a try. Why would you? If you love xyz, and others so much, which may or may not be good for you, I don't know, but you could trade actual phone numbers and emails and stay in touch with them that way.

To allow Threats, innuendos, libel, slander, defamation, insults, ridicule, in my mind, is to condone said actions. It should NOT be based on like or dislike, it should be agreed upon the members, the serious members, to stop the nonsense. That includes the two-faced ones here who play nice, then PM others on what theiR object of resentment/envy/hate has done or said/posted. That went on over on ebay Chat, and that spilled over here. Do not PM me later to tell me the lie that it does not happen here, now. It does. If my Questions about the Silver Surfer at the Long Beach Comic Con are all over the board the NEXT FREAKIN' DAY I know that the PMing for alerting purposes goes on. If you really don't like my TRUTH of FACTS, just don't respond, a great choice if you really are one who does not want to keep stirring the pot.

99% riled up CAL :sumo:

Cal...we've been back and forth on this since you first showed up on eBay, I don't base someone's value on how much cash they have, or pretend to have. I have told you certain people are nice, in an attempt to calm you down, obviously I was not very good at that since the last time I emailed you was a long time ago, and obviously you are still riled up.

You and I will just continue to disagree.

This thread was not aboout YOU, it was about a threat Mike received. It's the first time I've seen Mike ever complain about a threat. There is a reason for that.

Some people perceive or attract more slights than others..

Here is an idea. Cal, why don't you start your own forum?

You can charge whatever you like for people to participate. You can set the tone and dictate the rules.

Seems like a much simplier solution. Let the "free market of ideas" flow. Those who wish to follow you to your new fourm can do so.

If you had been following me at all, you would have seen that I am opening up a movie site, with chat features.

CAL staying more current for a purpose...

If you had been following me at all, you would have seen that I am opening up a movie site, with chat features.

CAL staying more current for a purpose...

I can't wait to sign up.

Ide pay to join..Even if it was a small amount, that would detour most people that just get on here to harass others.

I would be willing to pay in the range of $500 - 700 per year to post here. I am very sure, 99.99% sure, that if it cost that much to be here with purpose of partaking of the CGC services, I would not get flamed at all. I would not be insulted, cursed at, mocked, ridiculed, or anything negative. Heck, I would spend much more time here and it would be great to treated well, instead of defending and watching my every character typed. Respect does wonders, the nay-sayers and haters could learn from that one, now-obsolete-in-modern-times-word: RESPECT.

The anti-cgcers do NOT respect the company, they do NOT respect the Dealers here, they do NOT respect those who try to keep the peace here; they choose sides, and await anonymously to take their shots. You all know they do.

One of the best pieces of advice my Father ever gave me was: " You are judged by the company you keep". When I see certain Boardies defend those who are extremely disrespectful, that tells me a lot of the entire story, andf combine that with their ACTUAL BUSINESS PRACTICES, particularly eBay( like it or not, eBay IS the largest venue where the comics are traded), I easliy figured out who was who. Sure, a few of the anti-CGCers trade bits and pieces, but there are no Major Dealers that ever got on here and defamed other dealers that I know of. I receieved many a PM from those who would defend xyz, having the unmitigated gall and nerve( this is what the Internet's current anonymous usage downfall will be) to tell me that xyz is " a great guy once you get to know him, she is not that way, she just had a bad day, yadda yadda".

This is the bottom line:

If you can't afford pricey funny books, get another hobby. I saw someone post recently, this chap apparently did not like my idea about the paid membership, " I can't afford it". How is his not being able to afford it my problem? Designer Toast posts: " I never had anyone send ME a Threatening PM"... Designer Toast was not around in the beginning of the grading era, where most of the arrows were shot from the trolls'/Anti-CGCers' bows. Designer Toast is NOT a Major Dealer, or if he is, he is the best kept-dealer I wished someone told me about( he is a great guy all-in all).

Another posts somethig about "getting young readers in here" or something close to this. This CGC site is about the ALREADY FINISHED PRODUCTS from several decades ago. It was THEIR job( the publishers) to win readership and the benefits of hand-me-down the great Americana culture that is comic books. Not CGC's job, nor is it our job. If they truly love this hoby like many here SAY they do, they will naturally find this place just like a Beatles fan can still find Beatles items on other sites.

The REAL reason a paid-membership would add credibility and stop the anonymous garbage that goes on here: the credit card has Identity attached to it.

Then SKY posts: " Oh my - someone could steal my credit card and still post anonymously". Sorry SKY, you have woven your way very well here and have many ears here but your post smacks of another lame cop-out; does not pass the smell test. You have already excluded my ideas and my REASONS for my ideas for other purposes; you are not willing to give this a try. Why would you? If you love xyz, and others so much, which may or may not be good for you, I don't know, but you could trade actual phone numbers and emails and stay in touch with them that way.

To allow Threats, innuendos, libel, slander, defamation, insults, ridicule, in my mind, is to condone said actions. It should NOT be based on like or dislike, it should be agreed upon the members, the serious members, to stop the nonsense. That includes the two-faced ones here who play nice, then PM others on what theiR object of resentment/envy/hate has done or said/posted. That went on over on ebay Chat, and that spilled over here. Do not PM me later to tell me the lie that it does not happen here, now. It does. If my Questions about the Silver Surfer at the Long Beach Comic Con are all over the board the NEXT FREAKIN' DAY I know that the PMing for alerting purposes goes on. If you really don't like my TRUTH of FACTS, just don't respond, a great choice if you really are one who does not want to keep stirring the pot.

99% riled up CAL :sumo:

Cal...we've been back and forth on this since you first showed up on eBay, I don't base someone's value on how much cash they have, or pretend to have. I have told you certain people are nice, in an attempt to calm you down, obviously I was not very good at that since the last time I emailed you was a long time ago, and obviously you are still riled up.

Just the mere ASSOCIATION with others will have someone's guard up no matter the pretty words that are seen...

If you had been insulted the way I, and others have been, you would be upset too

You and I will just continue to disagree.

[i]I am not here to disagree with you or anyone. I am honestly trying to solve the problems here. We ALL can benefit.[/i]

This thread was not aboout YOU, it was about a threat Mike received. It's the first tiem I've seen Mike every complain about a threat. There is a reason for that.

Read my previous lines - the part where WE all could benefit - this is not done for me, or even Mike, who was recently threatened - this is FOR US ALL

Some people perceive or attract more slights than others..

Yes, those who speak up will get the most arrows. I will stand up and do what I feel is right, and know that I will be criticized for not taking the status quo and hiding like a scared rat.

take no garbage from anyone CAL

Edited by Calamerica

Yes, paying a fee would keep the nut-jobs away.

Of course it would.

Thanks!

I'm all for keeping those whohave no business here away for good.

CAL gathering momentum

Of course it would.

Thanks!

CAL gathering momentum

He was being sarcastic, Cal.

And I agree with him...some of the most obnoxious/untrustworthy people in the hobby have a lot of money.

On the other hand, somebody like Liaton is just getting into the hobby, is still at school, but is an all-round good egg.

But he couldn't afford to join up.

We're throwing the baby out with the bath water here...and we still won't nail the psychos.

What makes you think I've never been "insulted" lol...not only did I get PMs, I was the subject of one of Harold's newsletters? But, I don't get "riled" up about that junk, it would only feed him....While it certainly bothered me that day, I've forgotten it, I'm not upset about it at all.

You keep going back to a zillion years ago when you and Stu were battling on eBay and I defended Stu...that was a different situation...but it was a LONG time ago... I can barely remember being annoyed last week, let alone 9 or 10 years ago. There is no point.

I hope you can relax a little, life is too short.

The biggest flaw with a community sponsored online site like the one Cal is suggesting is harmonizing membership sense of entitlement. Boardie's who have attempted to use these boards to promote, market or pitch their business, and the vilification they receive for doing it outside of the appropriate marketplace or dealer sections, will seem tame by comparison when someone tries to do the same on a paid-membership forum. I doubt the idea of monetizing on advertising would go over well either.

You attempt to supplant one problem (harassment and unruly behaviour) and uncover issues and non-starters which adversely effect the viability of an online project. I'm sorry for sounding contrarian (especially since the backdrop of the situation involves comicdonna being a victim of a threat), but it sounds like a community trying too hard to deter something it cannot ever manage or properly control short of performing a criminal background check on all registrants.

Of course it would.

Thanks!

CAL gathering momentum

He was being sarcastic, Cal.

And I agree with him...some of the most obnoxious/untrustworthy people in the hobby have a lot of money.

On the other hand, somebody like Liaton is just getting into the hobby, is still at school, but is an all-round good egg.

But he couldn't afford to join up.

We're throwing the baby out with the bath water here...and we still won't nail the psychos.

I agree Liaton is a good guy, purchased a comic off him and he was nice and knowledgeable, but $700 is quite steep..Thats almost 2 months worth of rent for me..Ide be happy to pay a fee, just not something that high where I couldnt even afford to be on here because i really enjoy this chat board

What makes you think I've never been "insulted" lol...not only did I get PMs, I was the subject of one of Harold's newsletters? But, I don't get "riled" up about that junk, it would only feed him....While it certainly bothered me that day, I've forgotten it, I'm not upset about it at all.

You keep going back to a zillion years ago when you and Stu were battling on eBay and I defended Stu...that was a different situation...but it was a LONG time ago...

One of us was FOR CGC, the other was AGAINST CGC. Partake you did not forget who stood for what...

I can barely remember being annoyed last week, let alone 9 or 10 years ago. There is no point.

I hope you can relax a little, life is too short.

We all have misguided alliances in our lives at one time or another. I know you DO trade comics, I have even bought from you a few times. I know you do like the funny books. I just will always have a hard time defending others who could care less about funny books when the war is ABOUT FUNNY BOOKS. Quick analogy: The French Canadians who railed against the Provincial gov't of Canada - then they had an election for Independence, the Province of Quebec. Many who say they were against Ottawa all of a sudden defended Ottawa. They lost a lot, if not all, of their credibility.

If someone really understands the purpose of CGC, what they do, WHY the need for their resto check and other trick-detecting skills are even here in the first place, they would not have the need to defend someone who adamantly and publickly declared their demise. No, I am not going to forget what happened there, nor should I or anyone else, and yes, I resent some of them coming here. I would never chase abc then when the coast is clear, join abc's playgrounds.

Not a hypocrite CAL

Edited by Calamerica

I have only been threatened on here once. It was in a super sweet thread that was funnier than hell and then got deleted. Leaving me only with the possibility of being jumped at WWChicago. It all worked out OK.

I have only been threatened on here once. It was in a super sweet thread that was funnier than hell and then got deleted. Leaving me only with the possibility of being jumped at WWChicago. It all worked out OK.

You got off easy. There are a few here that wish they only receieved one threat.

CAL who foolishly deleted all his PMs...

& I'll be seeing you in Chicago in a couple days. :wishluck:

Threatening PM sent.