• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show off your Uber High Grade UNDERGROUND COMIX !!!

348 posts in this topic

This might be a good time to see what kind or kinds of registry sets might work.

Ideas? Can a book be in multiple sets?

Zap & Freak Brothers certainly make sense.

Freak Brothers can include Feds N Heads, Hydrogen Bomb Funnies, Rip Off appearances and the like.

Pre 1981...then maybe one for 1981 on.

1. Robert Crumb covers.

2. Richard Corben covers.

Discuss?

When are we going to get a decent underground Registry Set? (shrug)

• Zap Comix 1st prints
  • Freak Bros 1st prints

What else? I noticed there is one for Cherry Poptart...

I think Zap should include certain later printings. For instance, Zap #1, first, 2nd & 3rd. Zap #2, first w/miscut, first w/o miscut, 2nd, etc etc.

When are we going to get a decent underground Registry Set? (shrug)

• Zap Comix 1st prints
  • Freak Bros 1st prints

What else? I noticed there is one for Cherry Poptart...

This might be a good time to see what kind or kinds of registry sets might work.

Freak Brothers can include Feds N Heads, Hydrogen Bomb Funnies, Rip Off appearances and the like.

Pre 1981...then maybe one for 1981 on.

1. Robert Crumb covers.

2. Richard Corben covers.

Discuss?

I like the idea of including some early Freak Bros. appearances, but tracking each and every appearance would very difficult? I think the pre-Freak Bros #1 appearances are a great idea- Feds n Heads, Radical Amerika, & Hydrogen Bomb.

And Rip Off Comix could justify its own Registry. hm

I think Zap should include certain later printings. For instance, Zap #1, first, 2nd & 3rd. Zap #2, first w/miscut, first w/o miscut, 2nd, etc etc.

OK, x2. I could go for that... it would make the Registry Set accessible to lots of collectors if that were the case. And it does create a minor market for the reprints...

Thanks to all for all the great scans!

These aren't uber high grade, but they might be of interest.

Over 30 years ago, a friend and I couldn't get enough of the weird undergrounds. We found a head shop distributor in a nearby city and talked our way into his warehouse to browse his undergrounds.

There were shelves and shelves of the classic ugs. We bought stacks at wholesale prices.

But the most interesting thing was a big box underneath the regular shelves. This is where they threw the oddball, unpopular, and defective comic books. There were some really weird undergrounds, including some I've not seen since.

That's the source of these two "defects", with no black ink printed on the covers.

I love the story behind these - do you still have anything else from that buying trip?

Well, the rest were folded into the ever-changing collection - may have sold some and kept others. But I've held onto those (and a couple other) distinctive error copies!

Bijou Funnies, 8 issues, #1 first print cannot be slabbed because of the overlap cover.

Yellow Dog 13-25, 12 issues

Not sure whether those are popular enough & possibly valuable enough to slab. A couple of issues like YD #13 & Bijou #4 with Crumb covers make sense in a Crumb registry set.

Registry sets could be separated also by cover artists, Jay Lynch. Skip Williamson, Spain Rodriquez and the like.