• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show off your Uber High Grade UNDERGROUND COMIX !!!

348 posts in this topic

That being said, a lot of these comics just look ridiculous to me. If someone could point me to a place where I can read some of them, then perhaps I will change my mind.
That's fine but to some of us super hero comics look ridiculous. We still manage to not go into a SA thread and express the feeling though. Enjoy what you enjoy and let others do the same (shrug)

Fair enough. I don't see anything ridiculous about the battle between good and evil, which is the foundation for superhero comics in my mind. Seriously, though, where can I look through some of these underground comics? Perhaps I am not giving them enough respect.

doh! You're in San Fran and you're asking where you can get your hands on an Underground? It's bad enough that you're complaining about Undergrounds in an Underground thread but now we find out that you've never even cracked one open!! That's just ignorant...:makepoint:

That being said, a lot of these comics just look ridiculous to me. If someone could point me to a place where I can read some of them, then perhaps I will change my mind.
That's fine but to some of us super hero comics look ridiculous. We still manage to not go into a SA thread and express the feeling though. Enjoy what you enjoy and let others do the same (shrug)

Fair enough. I don't see anything ridiculous about the battle between good and evil, which is the foundation for superhero comics in my mind. Seriously, though, where can I look through some of these underground comics? Perhaps I am not giving them enough respect.

I think you're missing the whole deal...the inception of these books in approx. 1967 in Berkeley (next door to you!) coincided with American youth' dissatisfaction with government, 'Nam, etc. little pamphlets of anarchism if you will...I couldn't believe when I read that first ZAP story in 1971 (sophomore in high school) that playfully poked fun at incest well I was just blown away...and you had to laugh...no different than Lenny Bruce...Jack Kerouac...Richard Prior...people who used humour and satire to shake things up...

In the meantime...if you're really interested...I'd highly recommend the documentary film "CRUMB" about Robert Crumb...he may not be your cup of tea and the genre may not be your cup of tea but watching that film, whether you love or hate, it is indeed as compelling as a train wreck... :insane:

And you might want to look into the reaction of Disney to Air Pirates...lotta history with the undergrounds...

Oh yeah, and the dude (R. Crumb) is still a regular contributor to the New Yorker magazine...

doh! You're in San Fran and you're asking where you can get your hands on an Underground? It's bad enough that you're complaining about Undergrounds in an Underground thread but now we find out that you've never even cracked one open!! That's just ignorant...:makepoint:

I think that in some cases, you can judge a book by its cover. By the way, I'm not going to purchase any underground comics to read them, especially when I may not even like them. I'm looking for a website recommendation.

Are you complaining about the Cherry Poptart comics, or all of the books listing in this thread?

Well, the monsters are fine. I don't see the point in collecting comics about boobies or urination. Why would anyone pay good money for that kind of stuff? There's nothing inspiring about it at all.

Perhaps you should publish an approved list. (shrug)

Are you complaining about the Cherry Poptart comics, or all of the books listing in this thread?

Well, the monsters are fine. I don't see the point in collecting comics about boobies or urination. Why would anyone pay good money for that kind of stuff? There's nothing inspiring about it at all.

Perhaps you should publish an approved list. (shrug)

I really don't have enough time or interest. I didn't say anything about Mr. Natural comics; they look fine to me. Bizarre Sex, though? Why would anyone want that trash?