• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Most Sought After Marvel Treasury Edition(s)?

93 posts in this topic

The question was "the most sought after" Marvel Treasury Editions. That wouldn't necessarily be the most rare or the most expensive. The quickest to sell in my experience are;

The Superhero Holiday Grab bag issues (8 and 13 - because they are fun)

Superman Vs Amazing Spider-Man (because it's historic)

Captain America's Bicentennial Battles (because of the art)

How did you do the animation thing? With such know-how you can easily animate all the art in the comics lol

Think about it, Marvel and DC can then start animating their comics into this new techno age, making 'still'comics redundant for some.

30centvariants-animate.gif

:gossip: If you are talking about this, I made this one a few years back it was pretty simple. I downloaded a free anmination program off the net I think it was called Anminator 9 or something like that. I then cut that picture out of a scan of the book and made about 5 or 6 different frames out of it with my photo shop program. And then I just stitched the frames together with the Anminator program and set it to a speed that looked good. It is pretty easy but also very time consuming to creat the individual frames. :cool:

How did you do the animation thing? With such know-how you can easily animate all the art in the comics.lol

Think about it, Marvel and DC can then start animating their comics into this new techno age, making 'still' comics redundant for some.

It has been done.:applause:

Many people on these boards foretell of the inevitable uselessness of collecting comics due to these strange and foreboding times we live in.:eek:

How did you do the animation thing? With such know-how you can easily animate all the art in the comics lol

Think about it, Marvel and DC can then start animating their comics into this new techno age, making 'still'comics redundant for some.

30centvariants-animate.gif

:gossip: If you are talking about this, I made this one a few years back it was pretty simple. I downloaded a free anmination program off the net I think it was called Anminator 9 or something like that. I then cut that picture out of a scan of the book and made about 5 or 6 different frames out of it with my photo shop program. And then I just stitched the frames together with the Anminator program and set it to a speed that looked good. It is pretty easy but also very time consuming to creat the individual frames. :cool:

You nailed it Terry! Great stuff!

Since we have clearly moved beyond "Marvel Treasury", the hardest for me to get a NM copy of is Superman vs Shazam. I have one from my childhood which is around FN, but to find a NM has been tough.

Yes...your are absolutely correct, to find a near mint copy is really hard to find.

I picked up mine 8 years ago on Ebay. Since then I have not seen another one. Too bad CGC doesn't grade treasuries. My own Superman Vs. Shazam copy has a great potential being a 9.8 Off-White to White pages.

20110121172648362_22-001.jpg

20110121172648362_22-002.jpg

You seem to be confused. I'm not talking about MTE #1. I'm talking about the variant that is signed by Stan Lee and John Romita.

These were limited to 1000 copies and were all signed and numbered.

They were only available for $5 through mail order via ads in Marvel Comics at the time.

Word amongst treasury collectors was that only around half of them were sold by Marvel and the other half, after sitting around the office for years and years, was eventually tossed in the trash can.

IIRC, there's never been a copy that was sequence numbered in the 600's or higher known to exist.

That was years ago that I heard all that info. I could be wrong.

They're still tough mofo's to find. The last copy I've seen for sale on eBay was many years ago.

Mind you, I stopped watching them for a while until recently. Even so, I only saw about one legit copy per year pop up.

Actually I have number 674. Here's the deal. When I was a kid I responded to one of Marvels ads to be one for the first thousand to get this particular edition, signed by Stan Lee and John Romita and numbered. It was available only via mail and as I recall it took about 3 months for it to come. Now here's the catch, unless it's one of the first ones that Marvel held back (I'm sure they held back the first few numbers) there are no copies that are even close to mint. That's because Marvel in their infinite wisdom sent them out in a manila envelope with no cardboard backing. So the best of them is probably only go at a "fine, or very fine" level or less. I figure mine is in that range. I've once or twice looked into selling it, but I've never found any comic store or collector that really even knew they existed much less how much they are worth. I once saw one listed for about $160 somewhere and that one was numbered in the 700's. I think that may be the problem regarding it's desirability. Very few, VERY FEW even knows they exist. I suspect that sometime when the economy gets better they may be worth a lot. But it may be after Stan passes on, which won't be for sometime I hope.

GEJ

lce23_mystery.gif30centvariants-animate.gif

Best.

Ever.

Neal Adams' studio does that. Either way, it's called a cartoon if you animate art. It's been around for years. It predates the techno age.

DG

A collector that sold me a near complete set of Marvel & DC treasury editions told me that the Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbera #1-3 were some of the hardest Marvel Treasuries for him to find.

http://www.angelfire.com/comics2/treasury/Marvel/F/001_Funtastic_World_of_Hanna_Barbera.html

http://www.angelfire.com/comics2/treasury/Marvel/F/002_Funtastic_World_of_Hanna_Barbera.html

http://www.angelfire.com/comics2/treasury/Marvel/F/003_Funtastic_World_of_Hanna_Barbera.html

I would say the hardest DC treasury to find is the first one (no number, but called C-20). I still don't own it.

http://www.angelfire.com/comics2/treasury/DC/L/C20_Limited_Collectors_Edition.html

If you get into other treasury comics, I'd say the following are tough:

All the Modern Comics treasuries..

An example:

http://www.angelfire.com/comics2/treasury/Modern/nn_9_Modern_Comics.html

The Whitman "Giant Comics to Color" (but I've never really searched for them.. just a guess)

http://www.angelfire.com/comics2/treasury/Western_Publications/nn1_Giant_Comics_To_Color.html

The "Golden Picture Story Books" (but I've never really searched for them.. just a guess)

Example:

http://www.angelfire.com/comics2/treasury/Western_Publications/ST1_Golden_Picture_Story_Book.html

The most fun...

Super Sex To Sexty

Example:

http://www.angelfire.com/comics2/treasury/SRI_Publishing/011_Super.html

DG

You seem to be confused. I'm not talking about MTE #1. I'm talking about the variant that is signed by Stan Lee and John Romita.

They were only available for $5 through mail order via ads in Marvel Comics at the time.

Word amongst treasury collectors was that only around half of them were sold by Marvel and the other half, after sitting around the office for years and years, was eventually tossed in the trash can.

IIRC, there's never been a copy that was sequence numbered in the 600's or higher known to exist.

They're still tough mofo's to find. The last copy I've seen for sale on eBay was many years ago.

Mind you, I stopped watching them for a while until recently. Even so, I only saw about one legit copy per year pop up.

Actually I have number 674. Here's the deal. When I was a kid I responded to one of Marvels ads to be one for the first thousand to get this particular edition, signed by Stan Lee and John Romita and numbered. It was available only via mail and as I recall it took about 3 months for it to come. Now here's the catch, unless it's one of the first ones that Marvel held back (I'm sure they held back the first few numbers) there are no copies that are even close to mint. That's because Marvel in their infinite wisdom sent them out in a manila envelope with no cardboard backing. So the best of them is probably only go at a "fine, or very fine" level or less. I figure mine is in that range. I've once or twice looked into selling it, but I've never found any comic store or collector that really even knew they existed much less how much they are worth. I once saw one listed for about $160 somewhere and that one was numbered in the 700's. I think that may be the problem regarding it's desirability. Very few, VERY FEW even knows they exist. I suspect that sometime when the economy gets better they may be worth a lot. But it may be after Stan passes on, which won't be for sometime I hope.

GEJ

Good info to have. Thanks!

GEJ

Good info to have. Thanks!

It should look like this...

http://www.angelfire.com/comics2/treasury/Marvel/Marvel_Treasury_Edition/001a_Marvel_Treasury_Edition.html

DG

I sold one of these about 6 months ago on ebay. I think I got around $350 for it which made me pretty happy (I bought it for $5 from a craigslist ad.... the guy didn't see the signatures apparently)