• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYCC 2012 - It's Never to Early, Oct 11-14

486 posts in this topic

Just beware that hipsters have infested Williamsburg/Greenpoint Brooklyn like bedbugs. Every day I walk the streets it seems to get more and more ridiculous.

Looking to make the long journey to NYCC!! Any tips on hotels, etc would be appreciated.

The hotels in New York City tend to be very expensive. Remember that the hotel price listed in the New York Comic Con list does not include hotel tax.

If you are somewhat adventurous, try http://www.airbnb.com/ You can rent a room in somebody's apartment for one-third to one-quarter of the hotel price. Javits is located in Hell's Kitchen. Put in the neighborhoods of Chelsea, Clinton, and Theater District - Time Square, and a large number of alternative accommodations will come up. This choice is not for everybody. The downside of airbnb is that you have to prepay and create a profile. I have a room in a nice apartment close to Javits for $110 a night.

Adventurous is a kind way of putting it. I am an L train away. If anyone is looking for REAL entertainment... it's comic con all year round on the L train going out of "Billyburg to Union Square"

Peter Luger's porterhouse is worth the trip to Brooklyn. The sides are okay and their steak sauce is too sweet for my taste. It's all about the dry aged meat.

You can taste the difference between Luger's and the other steakhouses in Manhattan. Luger's in Great Neck (Queens/Long Island) is atrocious.

The other steak houses in Manhattan will have a really good steak and better side dishes and / or atmosphere so you decide what your group prefers. The aforementioned Strip House and Old Homestead are very good choices.

I can't comment on Robert's but I'm sure the Penthouse Club serves up better lap dances than steak. lol.

Sparks is known for it's extensive and expensive wine list and the favorite last meal of mafia godfathers. lol. Their steaks are average at best.

Morton's is essentially a chain across the U.S. and NY isn't their best location.

Cheers!

N.

Peter Luger's porterhouse is worth the trip to Brooklyn. The sides are okay and their steak sauce is too sweet for my taste. It's all about the dry aged meat.

You can taste the difference between Luger's and the other steakhouses in Manhattan. Luger's in Great Neck (Queens/Long Island) is atrocious.

The other steak houses in Manhattan will have a really good steak and better side dishes and / or atmosphere so you decide what your group prefers. The aforementioned Strip House and Old Homestead are very good choices.

I can't comment on Robert's but I'm sure the Penthouse Club serves up better lap dances than steak. lol.

Sparks is known for it's extensive and expensive wine list and the favorite last meal of mafia godfathers. lol. Their steaks are average at best.

Morton's is essentially a chain across the U.S. and NY isn't their best location.

Cheers!

N.

I agree with the Peter Lugers taste better in Bklyn then the one in Great Neck. Have you tried Benjamin's in the city?

Cheers!

N.

I agree with the Peter Lugers taste better in Bklyn then the one in Great Neck. Have you tried Benjamin's in the city?

Last year, I ate at Benjamin's during NYCC. I could not get a reservation at Peter Luger's, so my concierge recommended Benjamin's. I was pleased with the high quality of the food. I ate around 11:30 AM on Saturday and was shocked at the empty restaurant during lunch hour.

I find the food at Morton's to be substandard for the price. For a chain, I prefer Ruth's Chris.

I better make my reservation at Peter Luger's now. Yeah, I know cash only.

I have not been to Benjamin's but I believe former employees of Peter Luger's helped open the place which might be why people are recommending it.

Given the midtown location, it's no surprise that it was empty at lunch time during a Saturday. Most of their business probably comes from executive lunches Mon - Fri. charged to expense accounts.

IMHO Peter Luger's is probably a top ten steakhouse in the U.S. just based solely on the steak itself (porterhouse).

Cheers!

N.

It's Ben & Jack's that's the former Luger people. It's very good. For a Manhattan steak-house, though, my recommendation is the Strip House. Phenomenal drinks, appetizers (you must have the bacon salad) and steak.

First off, okay I stand corrected on steak houses. Haven't been to Morton's in 10+ years so I will take your word for it that these other places are better.

But my post is to gloat that I have 2 pieces already scheduled for NYCC pickup! Sean Chen and Andy MacDonald have agreed in principle. Now I just have to settle on what they are going to do for me! Groovilicious!

Sean Chen huh? what a good idea! :)

It is kind of funny. Sean had been working on a very complicated commission for me and at one time he told me it would have 12 characters in it. :takeit: But it turned out to be way too much work for what he was charging me so we both agreed to kill the idea. So I offered him a list of alternate ideas and....he hasn't gotten back to me. But I make that more ominous than it really is, he is a great guy and totally honest and honorable and I am sure he will have something ready for me in October at the show.

So I got that going for me!

Last year when I ordered online, sales tax was charged. When I picked up a last minute ticket at a local comic store, I was not charged sales tax. I'm not sure if that was just the clerk's error. Comics, newspapers, magazines are usually exempt from sales tax.

This year, I stopped by a different retailer and was charged sales tax for the tickets.

btw - if you order online, tickets are supposed to be mailed to you via US Postal Service at no additional charge. On the online checkout, there is a check box option of UPS shipping charge ($10?). This is not necessary unless you are ordering your tickets super late (after mid September).

US Postal Service (USPS) is not the same as United Parcel Service (UPS).

I'm sure a lot of folks are confused and actually paying the additional shipping charges when it's not necessary. Don't take my word for it. Contact the website if you are confused.

Cheers!

N.